Stella Artis Mod - A OSS Fast RTS

Stan`

A couple of considerations from Homeworld gameplay

@Lion.Kanzen sound design will be extremely decisive! From what I see it really creates some 40% of game immersion 

- also there're quite a lot of visual effects (laser, explosion, missile trajectories..) that would be cool to simulate. But I have no idea if it's technically possible on pyrogenesis. @Stan` what do you think? 

I'm not that much into flashy effects, but they surely have quite an importance for a futuristic timeline

- really, really love the style!! It perfectly combines realism with future elements. Maybe something that would fit well also with 0AD general style. I was initially thinking about the exaggerate proportions of StarCraft, but maybe a more realistic approach may be more the correct way

Edited by Radiotraining
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Radiotraining said:

also there're quite a lot of visual effects (laser, explosion, missile trajectories..) that would be cool to simulate. But I have no idea if it's technically possible on pyrogenesis. @Stan` what do you think? 

Explosions, yes

Missile we have flaming projectiles

Lasers, no would be fun to have but not sure what we need @vladislavbelov

• Thanks 1

Nice! Thanks for the answer! :) Yeah, I said "laser" just generically, I don't have specific ideas either what we could precisely need.. but looking a bit on those gameplays there're quite a lot of lines and trajectories that create the effect of a battle with different types of weapons, so it was just to check out the limits or potentials of the engine ;)

• Like 1

The trailers are very interesting.

I also like the look of Homeworld or Iron Harvest the most.

Notice how they have a quite realistic scale between the environment / trees and the buildings/ units.

And just the ground textures and grass.. or the flame thrower effects.. o_o

• Like 2

Protoss comes from the Greek "πρώτος" meaning "first." This name is possibly given because the protoss were the first semi-successful xel'naga creation, bearing the name "Firstborn.

https://starcraft.fandom.com/wiki/Protoss

Spoiler

FZ7V9lx.jpeg

The original conception of the zerg in the StarCraft alpha had them named "Nightmarish Invaders" and later "zurg." This was later changed to "zerg" to avoid legal action from Pixar, as per the character of Emperor Zurg from Toy Story.[134] Also in this version, the zerg were a race of bio-mechanical creatures.[135] It was decided early on that the zerg would literally swarm their enemies.[136] They were originally concieved as "teeth and feral rage; the dark side of evolution." Sharks were used as a point of reference in the original conception, taking flight to hunt humans from the sky.[137] The name "Nightmare Invaders" was retained for the freeware version of StarCraft: Loomings on its victory screen.[138]

Naked Alien (Bio-Cyborg)

Spoiler

2021_12_08 2_12 a. m. Office Lens.jpg

Concept art. Inspiration

Spoiler

Screenshot_20211208-021123.png

Screenshot_20211208-021917.png

I am going to take aesthetic and conceptual ideas from Robotech (as it is known in the western world)-Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross

Spoiler

unknown-24.thumb.png.296d133a7a4efdb686e867d38baa01d7.pngunknown-11.thumb.png.83c26f3281d5e762300c436ce6d208d1.png

unknown-20.png.0d1542cff16d208acbaee0d72daaeca7.png

I think the aesthetics are superior to that of Blizzard from 98-99.

I like the idea of a mounted unit (equivalent to cavalry) .

unknown-16.thumb.png.88d3aea03b836f8c188d9a7c8bdee171.png

Some ideas from Macross.

unknown-28.png

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

Seriously I'm in love 

- Okay I'll stop spamming Homeworld stuff now. But this is only a reference on the very detailed sound design. I could perceive some of the depth from the gameplay, but this voice-over is just .. wow! 

Anyway I hope this can be a good inspiration also to think a bit outside the box even for Stella Artis. I was thinking merely how to replicate the StarCraft formula, but maybe some additional care for details could really make the difference! Just a casual thought :)

4 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

thanks for the edit, I'm from the cell phone.

I was looking for concepts.

We already have two races. With its basic unit.

I love the spirit of initiative! This is what is needed to flow ideas and push the work on this mod. 

I think a good way to organize the work could be to find some visual languages for each civ. The names haven't been sorted out 100%, but there's a consensus on the elements of them :

- Terran are represented by an international organization that can be colonialist and exploitative. (I think the mecha references you have posted are quite useful for planes, tanks and all the technical vehicles)

-  Ants (zergs) are the organic aliens with characteristics of insects 

- SHA (protoss) are ancient aliens. They may look like the "greys" and I thought they may combine elements of Egypt, Nubia or old mesoamerican civilizations to give them some archaic and mysterious flavour 

these are just ideas, of course. But I think is important to define some core visual elements of each to develop the rest. Stan had a good idea to use "pureref". Maybe we could use that app to come up with a reference moodboard for each faction. What do you think? :)

34 minutes ago, Radiotraining said:

SHA (protoss) are ancient aliens. They may look like the "greys" and I thought they may combine elements of Egypt, Nubia or old mesoamerican civilizations to give them some archaic and mysterious flavour

I call my Protoss as Pragsophoss.

Zerg= Czenoids.

Terrans = Hunumans

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

2021_12_08 2_12 a. m. Office Lens.jpg

Physically strong thanks to ancestral training.

To this they developed natural diets from all over the Galaxy.

They practice martial arts and hand-to-hand combat.

They use the power of their mind, robots, and life-energy weapons.

Some individuals are able to unlock an ability that gives them more mental and physical power. Turning them into super soldiers.

They have the weakness of becoming weak and losing muscle if they are born with defects or are lyciated.

They are pragmatic and stoic. They are a warrior race dedicated to wisdom.

They tend to fight amongst their tribes and races.

They were created by the Ancient Sentinels.

They are in harmony with resources. They feed on small, unintelligent creatures.

Their society is ruled by a council of sages, the masters of the Protosophy.

the basic unit is the Ekdromant.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, vladislavbelov said:

We don't have a ready-made solution to create a laser. Currently we can have only static lasers with a X model (like for grass).

Excuse my ignorance, but how could the effects used on grass be applied for leisure?, once I tried it with particles but it was disastrous. I'm doing some for a personal future mod, I hope that some things that I create that are useful for Stella Artis will be used too.

Here's a biped robot that I'm struggling to create a decent animation.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, vladislavbelov said:

I mean not effect but the X model. The popular and old trick for grass to use 2 quads (or more sometimes) perpendicular to each other.

One cannot stretch the quad to join the mesh and the enemy though... At least if there is code for it I don't know how it works.