Training ship blocked, "can't find free space to spawn trained units"

tuk0z

Hello, presently stuck in a game where it will block any war ship to spawn (ie one sec before it should be launched). Haven't find any related issue therefore reporting. I saved this game 'profile.txt' and any other log files to share any of them here on at a better location if requested, no problem.

The reason seems to be the game thinks there's no free space, even though there is plenty of space (there's just 2 ships in the whole lake) eg fishing and merchant ships so spawn without problem. Also have 20+ free room for more pop. Please see attached screens.

- Can't spawn any *war* ship. Cancelled the ship that was blocked and ordered it again --» same error.

- Saved and fully exited the game then reloaded --» same error.

- Can train fishing and merchant ship without issue.

Posting here to help improve the great game, so please feel free to advise me on how to do it clearly enough!

0ad-a23-cannot-build-warship--cant-find-free-space-to-spawn-trained-units_02.png

0ad-a23-cannot-build-warship--cant-find-free-space-to-spawn-trained-units_04.png

Hello @tuk0z,

that message you see means that around building is not enough space to create given unit. War ships generally have larger footprits so that is probably why you can train smaller ships.

also units are placed around given building that is training them, if they cannot fit that place and given area is not blocked by other units, they are not trying to spawn further from building (but even the range to spawn further from building has limits too, so one cannot spawn units from one building and never move initial ones)

Try to place dock somewhere where has a lot of space around at water. If problem persist, please upload a replay.

Here you can find correct path to replays based on your operating system in this page https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day and enjoy the game :)

• Like 1

Problem with this map is that it is generated by script, so it is a bit hard to reproduce same conditions but I managed to get something similar.

As you can see at next picture, there is not enough deep water for big ship like warships are to spawn from the dock. And making ships to just skip that place and spawn more far away from dock may result ship spawning to look just odd. Also that are pretty shallow waters for such big ships :) 

depth.png

• Like 2

According to the light war ship I put in there from another dock, it's all clear captains!

Joining a save file I made early in the game (7zip).

Thanks a lot for the astounding support Angen and LordGood :) Again if this can contributes to eg. a note pointing out the pathfinder weaknesses then I'll super happy.

EDIT: Dock in question blocks triremes as light war ships such as the one below.

Oh and it's the Corinthian isthmus just in case.

0ad-a23-cannot-build-warship--cant-find-free-space-to-spawn-trained-units_05.png

0ad-a23-cannot-build-warship--cant-find-free-space-to-spawn-trained-units.save.7z

Edited by tuk0z

• 4 weeks later...

@happyconcepts Yeah I agree this dock placement isn't the best strategically. It was tactically still: coming from 2 o'clock on the map playing vs two, goal was to be present on both water spaces as early as possible (ie phase 2 with very little man power), building a few outposts covering both docks. And as seen in my last screen up here the light war ship fits fine there, ie. there is enough water. So while I get the 'Experience pays off' I also feel there's enough things blocking units already in the game we have to look for throughout games. A sort of warning icon alerting about the water deep being too thin according to the pathfinder wouldn't be unrealistic for a dock, if you see what I mean?

• Like 1

I understand you, I am suggesting that changing the map's water depth would be the fastest way to achieve your goal.

Imho there are larger game issues atm to be addressed. For the GUI, I hesitate  about calculating the additional pathfinding each turn.

Hey why not rush a tower in that spot and perhaps with a house too, then you can build the dock further south?

• Like 1

Yeeeah, you're absolutely right about development priorities @happyconcepts ;-) These pathfinder mini issues are like mosquitoes during night though, I can think of anything provided it's these :censored: little beasts. About the map, Corinthian Isthmus, the later is too far from (any) player's base to build anything other than docks and outposts until phase III.