Age of Empires IV

On 31/10/2021 at 9:30 PM, LetswaveaBook said:

That seems to be very common in the industry.

Sadly people accept to pay for unfinished games. They even pre-order games they know will be buggy and unfinished.

Edit: back to the topic, another video about AoE4 gameplay system

Edited by Genava55
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Genava55 said:

Sadly people accept to pay for unfinished games.

It is not all negative. If AoE4 fans had to wait until 2022 for it to finally release that wouldn't make them happy either. So releasing a half finished game allows the players to play it earlier.

Edited by LetswaveaBook
It is important to assume that the issues will be fixed later, so it ends up as a complete product.

49 minutes ago, LetswaveaBook said:

It is not all negative. If AoE4 fans had to wait until 2022 for it to finally release that wouldn't make them happy either. So releasing a half finished game allows the players to play it earlier.

Is not always that way.

It even takes longer. It seems they need to sell sooner.

2 hours ago, LetswaveaBook said:

or to finish it piece by piece, like with DLC...

Honestly this is simply to please the shareholders, they want to see short-term benefits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

that is the audience they seek to appeal to.

Yeah, and even that audience seems quite unsatisfied.

I think the main problem is that they tried to make a game for competitive multiplayer, but at the same time they watered it down also for the casual audience, making something that should appeal to everyone but nobody in particular. In fact, there is a lot of criticism in that video. But I think is helpful because this review seems pretty clear and accurate and it would avoid to make similar mistakes as well. 

Also, it confirms the idea that the production has been pretty lazy because of the many perplexing choices 

Edited by Radiotraining
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

they put a pro  gamer brainstorming along with their bosses or marketing experts and this is the result.

this actually sounds like a very good program. the end result is not the logical conclusion of such premises. quite the opposite I would say. It seems to me like the marketing guys took all the decisions and the players/gamers had no part in it, except maybe for the brainstorming.

for instance the limited zoom out was not decided in favour of either the competitive players or the casual ones, it pissed out everyone. same goes with the GUI: visually appealing at first, but impractical and poorly designed overall.

12 minutes ago, alre said:

same goes with the GUI: visually appealing

I would argue that it's not even that. I find it quite lame honestly, but maybe I'm getting too ahead of myself.

Anyway, yeah: the final results appear pretty generic. It seems to me that they kinda stitched together different work from different departments each with their own specific focus, but not very cohesive together. This would explain also the weird proportion of buildings and units and between buildings themselves. Or the completely different style from the announcement trailer and the artistic direction they took. Maybe the fact that they developed also during the pandemic didn't help to make things easier.

The only really consistent thing I've seen were all the gold accents everywhere, probably the only really conscious artistic choice you can find.

Obviously it's probably not really like this. That would be a bit too unforgiving. But that's the feeling I get

Edited by Radiotraining

54 minutes ago, alre said:

this actually sounds like a very good program. the end result is not the logical conclusion of such premises. quite the opposite I would say. It seems to me like the marketing guys took all the decisions and the players/gamers had no part in it, except maybe for the brainstorming.

for instance the limited zoom out was not decided in favour of either the competitive players or the casual ones, it pissed out everyone. same goes with the GUI: visually appealing at first, but impractical and poorly designed overall.

around there I read that they had involved with AoE 2 pro Daut.

Daut was both AoE 2 and SC2.

3 hours ago, Radiotraining said:

on a different note, though : when some destruction can be seen in 0ad? :D

This shot from aoe is pretty good, gotta say!

(I know it's probably not as straightforward to implement particle effects and building decay and certainly not top in the list of issues, but let me just dream for a moment :D)

Schermata 2021-11-05 alle 15.22.39.png

Actually, it seems pretty bad to me, it reminds me of aoe1 when there were small to big flames sticked on top of damaged buildings with no apparent relation to the structure behind.

Min-Spec Mode is triggered via a combination of in-game settings, which are made with help from an auto-detection system when the game is first launched. This mode was made for Age of Empires fans in regions like Latin America or South East Asia. While the aforementioned regions have very passionate and thriving AoE communities, they also tend to have lower spec'd machines for a variety of reasons.

https://wccftech.com/age-of-empires-iv-introduces-min-spec-mode-for-low-spec-gamers/

Is called pobreza(poverty).

Also keep in mind that we do not manufacture electronic products.