Age of Empires IV

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Rumor is 90+ gigabytes disk space required. Seems really excessive to me, but we will see what kind of content they pack into this baby. I'll be really pissed if gigs and gigs of that content requires microtransactions or expansion pack purchases to "unlock." 

the business of large corporations lately round in services.

The products are not a huge profit for the multinational giants.

But sometimes they need to restore trust.

See the case of the previous Battlefield vs BF V one was a political pamphlet that took away consumer confidence.

Another different case is EA SPORT's FIFA and its minimum effort earnings guidelines.

• 2 months later...

Microsoft is planning to release Age of Empires 4 in October. I appreciate the fact that borg and others listed ideas that AoE 4 has possibly copied from 0 A.D.

I haven't played any of the AoE games (the horror!) but here is my attempt at listing additional features that AoE 4 has possibly copied from 0 A.D.

1. A new civilization, Abassid Dynasty, they have a House of Wisdom structure that can be upgraded with different wings and that allows research on technology. This reminds me of the Bibliotech of the Ptolemies and the hero researcher of the Mauryans. The Abassid Dynasty also has camels, which give buffs to surrounding units.
  2. Another new civilization, the French are strong with trade. They have a House of Commerce. The Carthaginians in 0 A.D. have a boost to trade for their allies.
  3. Naval battles are implemented again in AOE 4, despite the naval features not being used that much and dropped from AoE 2.
  4. Another new civilization: the Holy Roman Empire. Is this inspired by the Romans of 0 A.D.?
  5. Another new civilization: the Chinese: copied from the Han Chinese mod for 0 A.D.?
  6. Expansion packs for AoE 2 and AoE 3 will be released at the same time as AoE 4 is released. This is a deviation from Microsoft's typical policy of "end of life" for older software. So, in my opinion, Microsoft is pretending to provide long-term support for their older projects with these expansion packs. This might be considered an additional idea that has been copied from 0 A.D, except that 0 A.D. has actual long-term support instead of pretend long-term support

I'm not saying that copying ideas is a violation of rules or law, or even a moral code. In a way it's a compliment; "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Edited by dave_k

Reading through the posts in this thread, it seems to be turning into a situation where people are asking for 0 A.D. to copy some things from AoE 4.

The FSF recommends that free software projects avoid competing directly with proprietary software, because that would be playing to the strength of the proprietary software companies (money). Instead, compete in ways that FLOSS software is strong, such as the license privileges that users and volunteer developers have, the modability, the community and the long-term continuation of the project (in contrast to Microsoft's "end of life" policy that discontinues support for old software).

Also, something that AoE 4 lacks, I would encourage meaningful improvements to realism and military simulation. This would include things like the following.

• Walls block arrows and javelins (except, of course, when fired through firing ports)
  • Soldiers garrisoned on top of open stone walls with battlements have better protection from attacks
  • Realistic castle defensive weapons are simulated like boiliing oil and fire pots for fire arrows fired by defenders.
  • Concealment and camouflage are simulated so that ambushes and guerrilla warfare are possible. Okay, AoE 4 does provide this feature, based on gameplay preview videos.
  • Battering rams aren't autonomous. They require drivers, who are vulnerable to boiling oil, fire, spears, etc.)
  • Realism elements from the ancient history of warfare and castle fortifications, defenses and siege weaponry are added to the game. Dakara's suggestion is on the right track here with "more interaction with the ground (trap, bridge, fire at tree, stone wall and roman wood wall...)"
  • A line of melee troops can block enemies from moving through them. Currently an enemy can walk right through a line of spearmen and enter a structure in order to garrison it. This is not realistic.
  • In my opinion, anything that is disrupting the application of real ancient warfare tactics and strategy should be considered for improvements to the game. That way 0 A.D. would end up with even more of a learning benefit for players, as well as become useful as a wargaming experimentation platform. And it would advance the art of war gaming instead of regressing into direct competition with Microsoft.

In a way, 0 A.D. will be competing with AoE 4 for players, but what we need to emphasize is that it is not an apples-to-apples comparison. The more knoledgeable that a gamer is about software freedom, the more that the gamer will see that 0 A.D. is an orange instead of an apple.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Soldiers garrisoned on top of open stone walls with battlements have better protection from attacks

This is already the case. :)

3 minutes ago, dave_k said:

boiliing oil

(Boiling water probably, why use oil?)

4 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Realism elements from the ancient history of warfare and castle fortifications, defenses and siege weaponry are added to the game. Dakara's suggestion is on the right track here with "more interaction with the ground (trap, bridge, fire at tree, stone wall and roman wood wall...)"

Making ditches to stop rams and such sounds nice (but would probably slow gameplay down a lot).

6 minutes ago, dave_k said:

A line of melee troops can block enemies from moving through them. Currently an enemy can walk right through a line of spearmen and enter a structure in order to garrison it.

They can stop them, but the structure has a loading range larger than one line of units, so it seems that they move through.

1 hour ago, dave_k said:

here is my attempt at listing additional features that AoE 4 has possibly copied from 0 A.D.

I honestly don't think so considering that 0AD has not really brought much groundbreaking innovation into the RTS genre. Aside from citizen soldiers there is a parallel to be found in prior RTS games for almost everything.

Also, Holy Roman Empire has nothing to do with Romans. They just called themselves that to sound cool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smiley said:

Also, Holy Roman Empire has nothing to do with Romans.

That is largely true.

1 hour ago, smiley said:

They just called themselves that to sound cool.

That is not entirely the truth. The pope bestowed the title of Roman emperor on Charlemagne because he wanted to see a powerful state in the west that could harbor Christianity. Charlemagnes empire broke into pieces and later Otto 1 ruled over both Germany and Italy and received the title of Roman emperor. During history, Italy was sometimes part of this empire and sometimes it broke off. However tradition prescribed that the emperor had to be crowned by the roman pope.

Also the empire was German and if it is the same as in the Dutch language, being called Roman does (always) not link to being associated with the city of Rome, but can also refer being associated with the Roman (Catholic) faith. I can't really speak for German (which has words ), but I know that in Dutch there are two words, rooms and Romeins (Note that the latter is always written with a capital, it's not an error ;P), and the first refers to being from the roman faith and the latter refers to the city. In Dutch we describe the holy Roman empire as rooms and I think this is a suggestion to think as Roman referring to the Roman faith. I did some internet search and German uses the word römisch and also romanisch (which seems to has fallen somewhat out of use) and I can not say if they have similar views.

Edited by LetswaveaBook
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shows gulls circling fish @Stan`

I like the Scout/herding mechanic.

I like the giant stone mines. The gold mines look awful.

The minimap has icons. Nice.

Lotttts of grass sprites everywhere. Probably a graphics option. Wish pyrogenesis could do that. Instancing? 

The trees look dreadful. WTF? 

Line of Sight reveal is super clunky. I much prefer 0 A.D.'s smooth FOW.

Tooltips are comically ginormous.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

"for every map you can independently choose a biom, this is the thing I like most of AOE 4" -quote from one of the videos above.

12 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Torches = Grenades now. How is that more "realistic" than hacking it down with a sword or spear?

I like the torching, although a better animation may actually be that soldiers move around a torch near the ground next to the building.

• Like 1