Age of Empires IV

I expected that and not a touch marvel/Disney with warm colors and over saturation of color player.

Spoiler

LBLexy3.jpgWEJJ1ex.jpg

The size of some weapons is disgusting to my taste, removes immersion.

I don't like the wall, I still don't know why. The other buildings have no unity with the rest is more city builder or stronghold style.

Many small details remember stronghold.

Just now, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Spellforce III wins hands down. It's not a "dark filter" or an "HBO filter", it's realistic lighting. It's the lighting that I strive for in my screenshots that all of you upvote. Now, the

The lighting is really good on that screenshot. Very natural looking. Their textures are also very detailed and naturalistic. Definitely not too dark. Definitely good for inspiration for 0AD.

spellforce-3_6017237.thumb.jpg.22e76b1ae310dbcca2216cbe0b4585a1.jpg

Just now, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Cossacks 3 screenshot you might definitely have a point. That one's ugly af. 

I don't get why they use puke green all over the place...

ss_ef5798c70525c56a2edcdbb7484ccc0cdae3f238.1920x1080.thumb.jpg.1175e44dfada8f8183c6328dd01dc74f.jpg

• Like 3

Genie engine definitely saw upgrades. Good UI, excellent renderer. They took a while, but it probably met the mark.

A warm color scheme is a good thing. There is a reason why movies with billion dollar budgets went for it. People like those. Its easier on the eyes and the majority, consciously or not, find it more aesthetically pleasing. Same reason why most find paintings of an autumn landscape more pleasing than a winter one (at least from what I observed, or rather what my friend who is an artist has observed).

6 hours ago, smiley said:

Genie engine definitely saw upgrades. Good UI, excellent renderer. They took a while, but it probably met the mark.

A warm color scheme is a good thing. There is a reason why movies with billion dollar budgets went for it. People like those. Its easier on the eyes and the majority, consciously or not, find it more aesthetically pleasing. Same reason why most find paintings of an autumn landscape more pleasing than a winter one (at least from what I observed, or rather what my friend who is an artist has observed).

Genie engine its 2D only, i think  they use a update version Bang! Engine(AOM and AGE3 engine)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

“One of the pillars of the Age games has always been ‘a bright, inviting world,’” (Adam Isgreen)
... by trebucheting the other players' walls and then sending your troops to ransack what's left.

The reason "Modders will put blood in anyway" seems a little bit off to me. I don't know what they were really thinking.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, borg- said:

In 21 seconds you can see some gameplay stuff, like minimap, interface, etc ...

There is some impressive stuff there, but I have a bad feeling about this. Looks a little generic. And the building designs don't look consistent or coherent together as an architectural set. Has a very AOE3 feel to me, just set in the Renaissance. 

6 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Has a very AOE3 feel to me, just set in the Renaissance. 

The architecture is a bit interesting.  The church looks in the style of Norman architecture.  The odd parts are the thatched roof houses, which look like they come from the ninth century instead; another strange thing is the use of red bricks with some structures.  It's like Keble College built hundreds of years earlier.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Some 0 a.d & mods mechanics in age of empires 4.

- Collect food with cavalry/scout

- Mongolian pack/unpack buildings

- Towers seem to shoot arrows according to the number of soldiers garrisoned.

- Can garrison units in ram and siege towers.

Edited by borg-
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, borg- said:

Some 0 a.d & mods mechanics in age of empires 4.

- Collect food with cavalry/scout

- Mongolian pack/unpack buildings

- Towers seem to shoot arrows according to the number of soldiers garrisoned.

- Can garrison units in ram and siege towers.

Also units are on the walls.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The arrows and projectiles looks strangely cartoonish.

They definitely have that kind of feel, especially when it comes to the impact with units; that said, there are two things I appreciate about that design: they are easy to make out and they lack the weird trails seen in most Total War games.

Just now, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

They definitely have that kind of feel, especially when it comes to the impact with units; that said, there are two things I appreciate about that design: they are easy to make out and they lack the weird trails seen in most Total War games.

I agree that lack of trails is a good thing. Also that the extreme ballistic arcs are easy to see. But... I think it's a bit much. They could reduce the arcing by about 25% and it would look better. The fact that the arrows are white also contributes to the readability. 0 a.d. should look into re-texturing the arrows and javelins with this in mind (they are currently quite dark) and look into the gravity settings for projectiles in DE. Not at crazy as AOE's, but DE's projectiles do arc higher and longer than base game's do for visibility. 

33 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

1. That Scout cav bringing back the entire deer carcass is pretty darn cool. 

2. I like the dead/depleted berry bush.

3. I love the gold "veins" on the mines.

4. Cliffs and mountain tops are pretty awesome. 

5. The grass actors are very nice.

6. The farm fields changing colors is something I've wanted for 0 A.D.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

1. That Scout cav bringing back the entire deer carcass is pretty darn cool. 

2. I like the dead/depleted berry bush.

3. I love the gold "veins" on the mines.

4. Cliffs and mountain tops are pretty awesome. 

5. The grass actors are very nice.

6. The farm fields changing colors is something I've wanted for 0 A.D.

@Stan` what you think?