Age of Empires IV

Now, don't shoot me dead, but I don't think it looks half bad... What I really like is the terrain elevations, the cliffs, the fauna and biome in general, as well as the renderer. That having said, it's obviously a carefully choreographed cinematic trailer, not even close to gameplay... It also doesn't give me an AoE vibe. Top comment: "For me its like The Age of Stronghold Settlers 4". What I don't like is the oversaturated, cartoonish look. I'm also a little surprised that after Alexandermb and wackyserious' work, a lot of our units in 0AD are looking better than that closeup of the Mongolian cavalry... Age of Empires' latest releases and announcements renews popular interest in RTS games, which is good for us, and the new titles aren't exactly 0AD killers either, which is also good for us.

• Like 2

I personally don't relate to the flak people are giving about the art style.  It's definitely a departure from Age of Empires II and Age of Empires III, but I wouldn't say it's too significant if we look at the original game or Age of Mythology, both of which had rather exaggerated graphics that were colourful (Think about the bones that villagers used to attack things and tell me I'm wrong.).  

Even Age of Empires II was a bit like that in some rather interesting unit designs like berserkers and teutonic knights.  

None of the proportions are off, and while it's perhaps a bit on the vibrant side, it's not obnoxiously so.  The one thing big thing that throws me off is the hoardings on the towers.

• Like 2

When it come sto artstyle, I still think that the engine is better suited for a Pixar movie or something.

I'm still laughing at the fact that this is more of a "AoE 2 + 2" or "AoE Definitively Definitive Edition" meme.

And for my more serious point: I've gotten to the point of skepticism. With releases like AoEO and AoE2DE, these modern-style devs are just milking the "Age of Empires" name. It's ruined the franchise altogether. If there's a positive thing to all this, it's Sundiata's "It's making 0 A.D. look better" statement.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, smiley said:

Too bad they didnt do something in the modern era. AoE3 died (way more players than 0AD still) because of the xp and card system. That homecity thing was a mess.

0 A.D is for me i dont care any other players. Card system idnt bad idea if you that implement better.

I'm single player love 90% AoE 1 (and DE) but this isnt AoE anymore.

About the era...

Post image

Many people believe this...

War selection have better art direction.

bwqq68lr.jpg

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

6 hours ago, smiley said:

Which part of those are cartoony? I genuinely like it.

Only the walls, the rest of the architecture looks good to me, at least reminds me the "Settlers Heritage of Kings" wich was a great game in that time.

The Color is a lil bit warmer but that doesn't harm, its like comparing Marvel with DC Universe. Quoting Ryan Reynolds: "You are so dark, you sure you aren't from DC Universe?" From a Commandos or Command and Conquer game i would expect darker ambient color or even Dark souls Dark Crusade, but from AoE we already had cartoony looking infantry before with AoE 1 and 2, clearly it haven't been look cloosely the units before AoE DE.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LordGood said:

I don’t understand all the backlash. I get the friendly spirit of competition, but aoe is thriving. You want to see a franchise being milked look at stronghold lol

disappointing :/

I figured since it's been 15 years, they would reboot the franchise from the beginning, not just remake part 2. 

• Like 1

As far as art direction goes I’m happy with it buildings are whitewashed like they should have been, and colors are vibrant like they ought to be, sick of historical things having all the color sucked out of them like some sort of HBO filter just existed before the 21st century. As far as unit simplification it works to distinguish them from one another at a distance, something we’ve pretty much given up on in favor of having unit variations, and unique civilization art.

Let the disillusioned stick with DE or better yet come to us lol

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, LordGood said:

As far as art direction goes I’m happy with it buildings are whitewashed like they should have been, and colors are vibrant like they ought to be, sick of historical things having all the color sucked out of them like some sort of HBO filter just existed before the 21st century. As far as unit simplification it works to distinguish them from one another at a distance, something we’ve pretty much given up on in favor of having unit variations, and unique civilization art.

Let the disillusioned stick with DE or better yet come to us lol

Personally I am not that mad. It is the teasing and absence of information for a long period to have only this very short trailer centered on a very well-known period... that is barely acceptable. I am thinking they are very afraid of any backslash.

A lot of people tried to decrypt the teaser to guess the period. But they seem to have misinterpreted it. "A new Age is upon us" seems to suggest an important change of the gameplay in regard to the actual trailer. Actually, this is quite bold.

Besides the texture and design problem, a few interesting things appears. Walls can support unit like in the Middle-Earth RTS. Civilizations will have unique designs for the units. That's already something good.

What do we already know:

1- They are working with a large number of civilizations, and they play different from each other;

2- We will have 4 ages, some civilizations broke this rule;

3- Starts before aoe2, and ends in the renaissance;

4- There are the four traditional resources, but not all civilizations collect them the same way or use them the same way;

5- Height plays a large role, with ranged units having a bonus when firing from walls or high elevation;

6- There are special and hero units of some sort. Mongols have Khan units for instance, and one of their special abilities is sending an eagle to scout an area;

7- No have card system;

8- Melee units will switch to torches when they're attacking buildings (so you won't have a knight hitting a building with his sword).

Edited by borg-
  • Like 2

In my opinion graphics are fine. The only problem could be differentiating units. Gameplay wise I'm sure it will be top tier. What I'm most worried about is optimisation and the lobby system. Both of these things Aoe2:DE has problems with. Many players are avoiding TGs due to lag and the lobby system is mediocre at best. Hopefully the new engine will help in optimising the game and maybe the pathfinder will be better too. For the lobby system player profiles, PMs, easily spectatable and downloadable matches are a must imo.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, borg- said:

What do we already know:

1- They are working with a large number of civilizations, and they play different from each other;

4- There are the four traditional resources, but not all civilizations collect them the same way or use them the same way;

5- Height plays a large role, with ranged units having a bonus when firing from walls or high elevation;

6- There are special and hero units of some sort. Mongols have Khan units for instance, and one of their special abilities is sending an eagle to scout an area;

7- No have card system;

8- Melee units will switch to torches when they're attacking buildings (so you won't have a knight hitting a building with his sword).

can u translate that for me in portugese?

22 minutes ago, borg- said:

What do we already know:

7- No have card system;

That's... promising!