===[COMMITTED]===Improve Artillery Tower Particles

Stan`

These towers are meant to defend against archer and siege spam sieges, not cavalry raids, which is what I'm worried about happening with an increase in projectile velocity. Projectiles track movement so its up to player reaction time to mitigate damages

These are already very powerful towers, the ability to deal splash and counter siege weapons shouldn't be underestimated. None of our archers arc anything right now and its a bit disappointing frankly

someone up and increased the ballista projectile speed so it shoots out of the pouch in a  straight line. It looks like the engineers are rolling flaming, exploding bowling balls. Supersonic rams outpacing cavalry, dont even get me started on the repeat times for ranged units my god they've broken all the animations our team works so hard to make look just right

this is trivial in comparison, and I guarantee we can make it look good just lets scout our options first

41 minutes ago, LordGood said:

I meant 2 particle actors simultaneously

I can hack that out; One empty actor + two particle props :) Maybe one particle with a prop, not sure that works cause it has no root. What do you have in mind ? :)

39 minutes ago, fatherbushido said:

You can tweak that a bit with the "gravity" (I don't know if it's still here in current svn).

That's basically linked to the (max) height of the trajectory (parabola).

Thanks <3

21 minutes ago, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

And I have a question, since those animations are all in sync when one presses the "attack" button, is that all-in-sync-effect being fixed at any point soon? Because if not, it is bearable on the bare map itself, but the white smoke makes it really bad because it creates that "outline" of the figures.

I have no clue what you mean can you rephrase that ?

3 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I can hack that out; One empty actor + two particle props :) Maybe one particle with a prop, not sure that works cause it has no root. What do you have in mind ?

white, short lived high velocity poof up, lingering dirt poof out, lingering poof like your first impact particle

48 minutes ago, fatherbushido said:

You can tweak that a bit with the "gravity" (I don't know if it's still here in current svn).

That's basically linked to the (max) height of the trajectory (parabola).

Gravity modifier works like a charm, that'll help sort a lot of things wrong on the artistic side of things

So I'm the only one that thinks the above particle is weird ? XD

15 minutes ago, LordGood said:

yess thats it, I think you just need a different texture, something like what Lion posted

Different texture for the top or bottom particle ?

6 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

I think the color of the second particle (white cloud) shouldn't contrast as much with the first particle (dirt). Make the "steam" a little dirtier, less foggy, more sandy, and I think we have a winner here. 

I don't have much options in art/textures/particles/

45 minutes ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

I wonder if direction could be integrated into the impact based on the vector of the projectile.

Could be done, but it requires more code, and also some extra computations. All vector math comes with a price :D

artillery_tower8.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Stan` pinned this topic