Differentiating Unit Sounds

LordGood

I think the slingers sounds great. I just think there's a little too much echo in the impact noise, as if they're slinging in a large hall.

I think the spearmen sounds sound great as well. I just think there's a little too much bass in there, as if they're fighting indoors, or the recording sounds slightly muffled or something. 

There's a very unpleasant sharp whooshing sound produced by the swordsmen (5:13 ish) and it appears again at 18:04 where you clearly hear it screaming through the other sounds. It sounds too shrill. 

As you said, the impact noises need to be done. I'd love to hear what the game sounds like when the changes complete. It definitely sounds promising, but I'm not a sound technician and someone with some sound expertise might have something to say about harmonizing the sounds so that they work/sound well together. 

• Thanks 1

Swordman

The metallic sound is very good but the sound is not in a box with what I'm seeing, it seems to hit a cardboard box or a piece of playwood.

There's also a little echo in the room.(little) The fast sound bounces off the wall and back into the microphone, that's why I notice it.

The best improvised booths are the cars.

That sound is better in combat against units than against buildings.

Spearman.  Is good, very good,  but must be different depending by your target. I guess the problem is coding sounds, hitting target, example hitting stone or hitting a human.

Can be nice mix the soind with other sounds incluiding grunt (human), Listen to the soldier's groans and some small voices of battle cries.

The  sound is really good in overall.

Pd:

When they're all attacking, it becomes monotonous, it needs moaning.

Visually the unity is striving, sonorously it seems that not even getting tired, is contradictory.

Check sounds in AoE DE.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Thanks 1

By the way, if you're looking to experiment with compiling sounds from foley but don't have the materials you need to make it, hmu

I'll see if I cant help you out with some of these materials here

there'll be a fair bit of noise though unfortunately, you can remove most of it in audacity, but make sure your final file doesn't extend the silence too long

IMG_0148.JPG

• Like 2

On 11/8/2019 at 1:41 PM, Lion.Kanzen said:

Can be nice mix the soind with other sounds incluiding grunt (human), Listen to the soldier's groans and some small voices of battle cries.

On 11/8/2019 at 1:41 PM, Lion.Kanzen said:

When they're all attacking, it becomes monotonous, it needs moaning.

On 11/8/2019 at 8:35 PM, wackyserious said:

Could battle grunts and cries be simultaneously played with these attacks?

17 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Wee need flesh hit/impact. 

r0dc1.jpg

• Haha 3

I like the clatter sound you have of the shaft hitting the bow, but could it be made a bit higher?  As is, it sounds a bit odd, like pieces of bamboo striking.  Maybe a demonstration of a medieval warbow might give a better representation of what I'm trying to communicate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Vd3KP-LnQ&frags=pl%2Cwn

Edited by Thorfinn the Shallow Minded
  • Confused 1

Dont know if it's possible to achieve this kind of noise whitout too much background noise.

The starting seconds rocks slightly falling like small pieces of dust and rocks. Would help a lot on the impact sounds of buildings in any kind of hit. And the big rocks collapsing sound at the end should be good for a ram impact hit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...