I am having trouble finding animal sounds for a 0ad mod I am creating

Hi , I am having trouble finding animal sounds for 0ad, specifically sounds of spotted hyenas, I am making a model of a spotted hyena off of the wolf model with cc by sa material such as images for textures and reference, so I cant find any hyena sounds online, any places you recommend I can find sounds of hyenas or other animals that are CC By SA license? 

I tried finding spotted hyena sounds on Wikimedia Commons, they are all CC Attribution license though which I don't think is compatible with CC-BY-SA, cant find any other sites that have good quality hyena cackles, or good animal sounds in general

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?sort=relevance&search=hyena+laugh&title=Special%3ASearch&profile=advanced&fulltext=1&advancedSearch-current={}&ns0=1&ns6=1&ns12=1&ns14=1&ns100=1&ns106=1

9 minutes ago, lukamas said:

I tried finding spotted hyena sounds on Wikimedia Commons, they are all CC Attribution license though which I don't think is compatible with CC-BY-SA, cant find any other sites that have good quality hyena cackles, or good animal sounds in general

Why do you believe CC-BY is incompatible with CC-BY-SA?

On 11/4/2019 at 11:57 AM, lukamas said:

I am making a model of a spotted hyena off of the wolf model

Hyenas are actually much closer related to cats than to wolves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey, I'm almost ready to help you.

Here's what I need to help you:

• A list of the animals that you need sounds for (the zoo apparently didn't upload a complete list of animals they have: https://tallinnzoo.ee/animal/)
  • A 3d model of a parabola that would work for my mic on my Blue Yeti (to increase directionality of recording since it's a podcast mic)

My local Zoo allows recording of animals. I'd prefer to record them using a parabolic mic though, which I haven't built yet, the mic I can use is Blue Yeti. If you could make a list of animal sounds that you need then I can contact the trade manager of the Zoo. They have mentioned that educational use (non commercial) isn't charged for. Also, they haven't mentioned anything about just recording sounds. https://tallinnzoo.ee/pildistamine-ja-filmimine/

They have 500 different species and the ticket to enter costs me very little. Now I just need some advice on how to equip my Blue Yeti with a parabola since it would greatly improve the noise / signal ratio. I need a 3d model that would fit the mic and I could then order the printing of it from a local firm which again costs about as much as the zoo ticket (nothing).

• Like 2

For a directional mic google shotgun microphones it's basically uses tuned tubes in front of your mic made one using straws over twenty years ago for recording birds in the wild be aware that wind will be heard though filtering it out digitally is now possible wasn't back then ;) also available commercially but I'm cheap :rolleyes: 

Enjoy the Choice :)

6 hours ago, silver_est said:

Hey, I'm almost ready to help you.

Here's what I need to help you:

• A list of the animals that you need sounds for (the zoo apparently didn't upload a complete list of animals they have: https://tallinnzoo.ee/animal/)
  • A 3d model of a parabola that would work for my mic on my Blue Yeti (to increase directionality of recording since it's a podcast mic)

My local Zoo allows recording of animals. I'd prefer to record them using a parabolic mic though, which I haven't built yet, the mic I can use is Blue Yeti. If you could make a list of animal sounds that you need then I can contact the trade manager of the Zoo. They have mentioned that educational use (non commercial) isn't charged for. Also, they haven't mentioned anything about just recording sounds. https://tallinnzoo.ee/pildistamine-ja-filmimine/

They have 500 different species and the ticket to enter costs me very little. Now I just need some advice on how to equip my Blue Yeti with a parabola since it would greatly improve the noise / signal ratio. I need a 3d model that would fit the mic and I could then order the printing of it from a local firm which again costs about as much as the zoo ticket (nothing).

Thanks for your interest in making new sounds. Keep in mind though that they have to be compatible with our license (CC BY SA 3.0 unported or less restrictive) and that source files should be provided as well. You'll also need to sign the legal waiver)