Artillery Towers

LordGood

Introducing fixed artillery towers! Small caliber torsion engines mounted inside provide a perfect counter for grouped archers and provides limited counter-siege capabilities

Because I missed ballista towers

Pros-

• 11 DPS ungarrisoned in comparison to the defense tower's 6
  • Crush damage gives limited effectiveness against ranged siege that comes too close, and aggressive fortification
  • Splash damage to help combat unit spam and dance, especially from ranged units
  • Slightly longer range
  • 40% more health than a defense tower.
  • Looks cool
  • britons dont get any

Cons-

• 22 DPS fully garrisoned in comparison to the defense tower's 36
  • Slow projectiles are easy to dodge with mindful micro
  • extended minimum range makes them helpless against most melee units if they're not adequately protected, or without murder holes, minimum range envelops rams
  • Twice as expensive as a defense tower
  • Cannot be built until City phase
  • Exclusive to Successors, Athens, Macedon, Rome, and Carthage. (tier 3 tower suggestions welcome for Mauryas, Kushites, and Persians)

screenshot0141.png

screenshot0142.png

screenshot0145.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 10/22/2019 at 9:22 PM, Anaxandridas ho Skandiates said:

It is not preferable to cut it down to wall height, and put a catapult thingy on top instead of that extra storey?

we'll save that for wall turrets, and for when that's actually mechanically possible within the engine

little more testing

in its current iteration, a standard ungarrisoned artillery tower can edge out 25 basic bunched slingers at once, in comparison to the defense tower's 10 I'm a bit lukewarm about this performance

standard artillery tower can also take on a single catapult and win

Cost effective engagements, but only just, defensive towers should heavily counter ranged units that aren't siege

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LordGood said:

These towers are fully integrated, I'm curious how they'll hold up in higher level play. Feedback would be welcome

I may be wrong because i havent seen the icon closely, but the stones in the icon looks like cannonballs.

Or maybe is just me. But anything else looks pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, LordGood said:

i broke like

ONE thing

Hehe. I was refering to what Freagarach said about kart vs cart ^^ that would have made two ^^ Thanks for fixing it. Also it seems you keep adding _AO at the end of the texture you don't have to cause they are already in a folder named ao :)

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/ArtFileNamingConventions

One would have to check but I don't think one needs to repeat the props in the death variant, as the building is replaced by rubble (I guess that's a remnant of when there was none)

I believe you could have used {civ}_artillery _tower in a root template to avoid the repetition in every file :)

Thanks for working on this :heart:

the props disappear when the building sinks into the ground if they're not included in the death variant, which leads to missing roofs and such.

'kart' is still standard in that folder, for some odd reason, so I was keeping consistent local convention to keep files together.

AO is for personal file separation, deleting it is a time sink, and theres no real harm leaving it...

yet?

also, seeing as only a few civs do get these artillery towers, how would a blanket {civ} in a parent template not break the ones that do not get them?

Just now, LordGood said:

also, seeing as only a few civs do get these artillery towers, how would a blanket {civ} in a parent template not break the ones that do not get them?

Ah I thought everyone was getting them, thanks for the clarification. Units don't loose their props though ?

12 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Yeah but in the case the unit does not have it you need to suppress it from the files correct ?

In case the civ doesn't have it you supress it from the civ builder (cases like all infantry_b) and in the data/civ skirmish_replacements with the default turret, avoiding the ia goes crazy looking what to build in replacement.

Spoiler

image.png