New flyers for events

Stan`

16 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Out of curiosity, what is the font used in game?

1936467457_Screenshotfrom2019-10-2514-06-02.png.ae4c8a63446e12e516a2a1b5855098d4.png

No “Empires Ascendant”?

303340785_Screenshotfrom2019-10-2514-04-59.png.f6d1047c437f87c19ab624f7ae548f4a.png

Personally I prefer “free and open source” over “free, open source”; the comma is hardly visible.

(Also, I dislike that font; capitals having a lower baseline looks ugly.)

1858122113_Screenshotfrom2019-10-2514-05-08.png.d99827bd429dc60e4c0ff86f9cc46206.png

There is no need to capitalize the .com; moreover, the download part seems unnecessary.

The most important information the flyer ought to convey is the url of the main page ( https://play0ad.com/ ). In the current mock-up it's rather small and deserves a more prominent position.

1. PR matter they need provide all logos. In vectorials or very high resolution.(this is printed one) you need 300 point per inch for that.

2- no my decision, we can change with other font. But a good design never exceeds from 3 different fonts.

3-That was typo.

3 minutes ago, Stan` said:
13 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

2- no my decision, we can change with other font. But a good design never exceeds from 3 different fonts.

You can change the font :) Especially since it prevents us from using more than 3 fonts that way.

Why not use only a single font for the entire flyer? Preferably the one used in game?

1 hour ago, Nescio said:

Why not use only a single font for the entire flyer? Preferably the one used in game?

That would be Linux Biolinium, which i believe is the one used on the flyer.  We have no way to change the 0ad logo's  though. Same for the wildfire one

It has to do with basic psychology of perception.
If I add a lot of elements I can visually instability and saturate something that already carries a lot of information.

The origins of minimalist design, and why it matters in marketing

Very often people confuse simple with simplistic. The nuance is lost on most.
— Clement Monk
Photo from  Antanas Kazilunas

Photo from Antanas Kazilunas

While marketing is both an art and a science, the art of marketing is in how you combine visuals and words to create a story that will connect with your audience.

Design is a big part this. Design is much more than the visual look of something. It is a process of imagining and planning the creation of your idea. It is about putting yourself in the shoes of the person who is going to be using or reading or looking at whatever you are creating, and creating it with them in mind.

The concept that simplicity leads to good design is a phrase adopted in 1947 by architect and furniture designer Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe, one of the founders of modern architecture and a proponent of simplicity of style.

Simplicity also connotes clarity of concept and ideas. When you’ve stripped something down to its essence, you’ve brought forth the most essential parts of what you are trying to showcase and communicate. I love what marketer Marc Schenker says about the minimalism design trend:

No discussion on minimalism would ever be complete without a reference to Japan’s traditional culture of Zen philosophy. When we say “Zen” in today’s terms, we often think meditation and calm; however, in design terms, Zen is the epitome of minimalism, especially the way Japanese designers use it.
— Marc Schenker

Complete article.

https://www.sparkyourbrand.co/blog/2018/10/31/less-is-more

3 hours ago, sphyrth said:

I love it! Now I'm torn between "Neat & Clean" vs. "Using the Empty Space"... a pair of helmets maybe?

image.png.a0d115c5e50846a37fc9f1d17fadd81a.png

Two hoplites or something. This is a flyer for a video game. Classic business marketing needs to be tweaked. If I don't like the images in the flyer, I wont bother downloading and finding out the rest. And I am sure I am not the only one.

44 minutes ago, smiley said:

Two hoplites or something. This is a flyer for a video game. Classic business marketing needs to be tweaked. If I don't like the images in the flyer, I wont bother downloading and finding out the rest. And I am sure I am not the only one.

No. They arent adding anything. Only distractibg, we have the imagee, is better have a clean poster than oversaturated eoements.

The path of being designer 2D is comminucate no fill of nonsense graphics.

If you dont like help to find more. This no is only my concept probably need a redesign but this need be done right now. May be in January we work in acproposal based in my idea.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

@Lion.Kanzen Maybe you could merge the 100% free part with the top paragraph so there is nothing below the download. Maybe there could be two gold bars around the download button as well to keep the visual effect it does on the rest.

3 hours ago, sphyrth said:

I've seen it more like this: FLOSS (Free/Libre and Open Source Software)

Yeah like that 

As for hoplites I'm afraid we don't havr any good material that would blend nicely on the poster.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stan` said:

@Lion.Kanzen Maybe you could merge the 100% free part with the top paragraph so there is nothing below the download. Maybe there could be two gold bars around the download button as well to keep the visual effect it does on the rest.

Yeah like that 

As for hoplites I'm afraid we don't havr any good material that would blend nicely on the poster.

Exactly we dont have any prepared any render and any good new concept.

21569-praetorians-windows-inside-cover.thumb.jpg.2f2e5659532ad156e117e6025aaffd56.jpgimage.thumb.png.75c7a7207787218068d00e28c52a052d.png

Nostalgy sells but this need more time...

• Like 1

Personally I'd still recommend having a larger, better visible https://play0ad.com/ instead of576838722_Screenshotfrom2019-10-2611-05-44.png.68c31f2297a172ab3ba7027a6b138e25.png

5 hours ago, sphyrth said:

I've seen it more like this: FLOSS (Free/Libre and Open Source Software)

Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) and Free/Libre and Open Source Software (FLOSS) are basically the same thing. (0 A.D. is both libre and gratis.) Having slashes in running text (e.g. “and/or”) is ugly, though.

25 minutes ago, sphyrth said:

If we're gonna get super technical "Free" and "Open Source" actually mean the same thing... it's just the connotation of the word "Free" that is often misunderstood by the majority.
I'm personally using the term "Freedomware" for such things.

Nope it does not. One thing can be open source and not free, one thing can be free and not open source :)

35 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Personally I'd still recommend having a larger, better visible https://play0ad.com/ instead of576838722_Screenshotfrom2019-10-2611-05-44.png.68c31f2297a172ab3ba7027a6b138e25.png

Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) and Free/ Libre and Open Source Software (FLOSS) are basically the same thing. (0 A.D. is both libre and gratis.) Having slashes in running text (e.g. “and/or”) is ugly, though.

GNU/Linux ?

All this terminology war is between OSI, and the FSF

Also one has to mention all those flyers are mainly for free software enthusiasts. 0 A.D. is never invited (yet) at more generic events.

• Like 1