\art\actors\props\units\shields\scutum_rome_isp_i.xml
\art\actors\props\units\shields\scutum_rome_isp_j.xml
\art\actors\props\units\shields\scutum_rome_isp_k.xml
\art\actors\props\units\shields\scutum_rome_isp_l.xml
\art\actors\props\units\shields\scutum_rome_isp_m.xml
\art\actors\props\units\shields\scutum_rome_isp_n.xml

All those files have

<prop actor="" attachpoint="root"/>
  1. Since it doesn't seem useful, I guess it should be removed.
  2. Furthermore all the files in props_units_shield have _letter prefix while it should be _01 _02 etc
  3. Same for the meshes, some have both.
  4. I'm not sure whether you need to keep isw and isp in the name, are they really specific to one or the other ?
  5. The variant name seems a bit weird, but why not.
  6. In some cases you used the same variant for med and death damage, dunno if that's normal.
  7. Some base variant have no frequency
  8. I'm not sure about destruction variant but maybe they should have their frequency to 0 ?
  9. Sometimes the formatting is off double spaces, I fixed it in the attach zip, (VSCODE plugin)
  10. Some have this
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<actor version="1">
  <castshadow/>
  <group>
    <variant name="Base">
      <props>
        <prop actor="props/units/shields/props/scutum_rome_boss_02_iron.xml" attachpoint="boss"/>
        <prop actor="props/units/shields/props/scutum_rome_back_02.xml" attachpoint="root"/>
      </props>
    </variant>
  </group>
  <group>
    <variant frequency="1" file="shields/scutum_ital_02.xml" name="ital-Scutum-ISW-02"/>
  </group>
  <group>
    <variant frequency="1" name="alive"/>
    <variant file="shields/scutum_ital_02_light.xml" name="lightdamage"/>
    <variant file="shields/scutum_ital_02_med.xml" name="mediumdamage"/>
    <variant file="shields/scutum_ital_02_med.xml" name="death"/>
  </group>
  <material>player_trans_parallax_spec.xml</material>
</actor>

Maybe it could be

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<actor version="1">
  <castshadow/>
  <group>
    <variant file="shields/scutum_ital_02.xml" frequency="1" name="ital-Scutum-ISW-02">
      <props>
        <prop actor="props/units/shields/props/scutum_rome_boss_02_iron.xml" attachpoint="boss"/>
        <prop actor="props/units/shields/props/scutum_rome_back_02.xml" attachpoint="root"/>
      </props>
    </variant>
  </group>
  <group>
    <variant frequency="1" name="alive"/>
    <variant file="shields/scutum_ital_02_light.xml" name="lightdamage"/>
    <variant file="shields/scutum_ital_02_med.xml" name="mediumdamage"/>
    <variant file="shields/scutum_ital_02_med.xml" name="death"/>
  </group>
  <material>player_trans_parallax_spec.xml</material>
</actor>

Some stuff I also noticed

1. One can consider removing the materials before exporting but that's alright.
  2. Same with the object mesh name in the DAE/Blender (Usually I would go umbo_0x; and then umbo_0x_mesh for the sub-object instead of cubo) the game doesn't care.
  3. Most of the death variant show only the wooden side, so the damage is only visible when unit is alive
  4. Also the colors look dull on my screen is that intended ?

screenshot0017.png

Finally checkrefs.pl says

Missing file 'art/textures/skins/props/shields/scutum_ital_06.png' referenced by: 'Rome_Scutum/art/variants/shields/scutum_ital_06.xml'
Missing file 'art/textures/skins/props/shields/scutum_ital_06_dmg_light.png' referenced by: 'Rome_Scutum/art/variants/shields/scutum_ital_06_light.xml'
Missing file 'art/textures/skins/props/shields/scutum_ital_06_dmg_med.png' referenced by: 'Rome_Scutum/art/variants/shields/scutum_ital_06_med.xml'
Missing file 'art/textures/skins/props/shields/scutum_ital_07.png' referenced by: 'Rome_Scutum/art/variants/shields/scutum_ital_07.xml'
Missing file 'art/textures/skins/props/shields/scutum_ital_07_dmg_light.png' referenced by: 'Rome_Scutum/art/variants/shields/scutum_ital_07_light.xml'
Missing file 'art/textures/skins/props/shields/scutum_ital_07_dmg_med.png' referenced by: 'Rome_Scutum/art/variants/shields/scutum_ital_07_med.xml'
Missing file 'art/textures/skins/props/shields/scutum_ital_08.png' referenced by: 'Rome_Scutum/art/variants/shields/scutum_ital_08.xml'
Missing file 'art/textures/skins/props/shields/scutum_ital_08_dmg_light.png' referenced by: 'Rome_Scutum/art/variants/shields/scutum_ital_08_light.xml'
Missing file 'art/textures/skins/props/shields/scutum_ital_08_dmg_med.png' referenced by: 'Rome_Scutum/art/variants/shields/scutum_ital_08_med.xml'
Missing file 'art/textures/skins/props/shields/scutum_ital_09.png' referenced by: 'Rome_Scutum/art/variants/shields/scutum_ital_09.xml'
Missing file 'art/textures/skins/props/shields/scutum_ital_09_dmg_light.png' referenced by: 'Rome_Scutum/art/variants/shields/scutum_ital_09_light.xml'
Missing file 'art/textures/skins/props/shields/scutum_ital_09_dmg_med.png' referenced by: 'Rome_Scutum/art/variants/shields/scutum_ital_09_med.xml'
Missing file 'art/textures/skins/props/shields/scutum_rome_wooden_dmg_light_norm.png' referenced by: 'Rome_Scutum/art/variants/shields/scutum_rome_wooden_dmg_light_base.xml'
Missing file 'art/textures/skins/props/shields/scutum_rome_wooden_dmg_light_spec.png' referenced by: 'Rome_Scutum/art/variants/shields/scutum_rome_wooden_dmg_light_base.xml'
Missing file 'art/textures/skins/props/shields/scutum_rome_wooden_dmg_med_norm.png' referenced by: 'Rome_Scutum/art/variants/shields/scutum_rome_wooden_dmg_med_base.xml'
Missing file 'art/textures/skins/props/shields/scutum_rome_wooden_dmg_med_spec.png' referenced by: 'Rome_Scutum/art/variants/shields/scutum_rome_wooden_dmg_med_base.xml'
Missing file 'art/variants/biped/base_spearman_shield_ready.xml' referenced by: 'Rome_Scutum/art/actors/units/romans/infantry_spearman_e.xml', 'Rome_Scutum/art/actors/units/romans/infantry_spearman_e.xml'

Rome_Scutum.zip

4 minutes ago, Stan` said:

@Alexandermb

All those files have

<prop actor="" attachpoint="root"/>
  1. Since it doesn't seem useful, I guess it should be removed.
  2. Furthermore all the files in props_units_shield have _letter prefix while it should be _01 _02 etc
  3. Same for the meshes, some have both.
  4. I'm not sure whether you need to keep isw and isp in the name, are they really specific to one or the other ?
  5. The variant name seems a bit weird, but why not.
  6. In some cases you used the same variant for med and death damage, dunno if that's normal.
  7. Some base variant have no frequency
  8. I'm not sure about destruction variant but maybe they should have their frequency to 0 ?
  9. Sometimes the formatting is off double spaces, I fixed it in the attach zip, (VSCODE plugin)
  10. Some have this

1- They will be removed, some spaces were left intended in case i've add a prop such as boss etc, cleaning is still needed.

2 - while it should be a or 0# some meshes have different shape and would be confusing have "scutum_01" and then after a long period of "scutum_20" suddendly it changes to "scutum_21" being the scutum_21 a different shape compared to others. Its better to keep 2 prefix or sufix for idenfity 1st the shape and 2nd the variant so either scutum_type_A or scutum_a and then lastly the numeratio _01 _02 _03 _04 _05, i know theres a naming convention but thats confusing if batch files are handled, such i've handled before with the gaul shields. In fact, naming conventions should be changed either to found a confort naming schema or a strongly strict and confusing one wich ends mixing all meshes while if theres any other artist he gonna have to import and look every single asset to find a diference.

4. Same case is kept for differentiate between swordsman shield and scutum, otherwise i would have to make such amount of shields with all the alphabet and lastly will have to use scutum_rome_AA - Scutum_rome_AB and thats worst. I've named them following rank also first letters are for basic rank such as A, B, C, and so on for elite and advanced.

6. i've noticed that if i don't apply the death variant they switch back the "no damage" variant.

7. they need frequency? if that so i'll add them.

11 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Most of the death variant show only the wooden side, so the damage is only visible when unit is alive

in case we have new death animations showing both. Reverting back to "no damage" variant doesn't make a difference in performance compared to death variant, both are only simple textures so reverting doesn't gonna make a difference i belive. 

13 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Also the colors look dull on my screen is that intended ?

Some colors are desaturated to avoid mixing them with their respective player color, like blue and red.

14 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Finally checkrefs.pl says

i've kept them here in case id add another variant (and the test unit i've used for combat variant), was pretty time consuming going through folder for make 1 variant per texture if i could only leave x amount of variants and only add the textures.

4 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

2 - while it should be a or 0# some meshes have different shape and would be confusing have "scutum_01" and then after a long period of "scutum_20" suddendly it changes to "scutum_21" being the scutum_21 a different shape compared to others. Its better to keep 2 prefix or sufix for idenfity 1st the shape and 2nd the variant so either scutum_type_A or scutum_a and then lastly the numeratio _01 _02 _03 _04 _05, i know theres a naming convention but thats confusing if batch files are handled, such i've handled before with the gaul shields. In fact, naming conventions should be changed either to found a confort naming schema or a strongly strict and confusing one wich ends mixing all meshes while if theres any other artist he gonna have to import and look every single asset to find a diference.

4. Same case is kept for differentiate between swordsman shield and scutum, otherwise i would have to make such amount of shields with all the alphabet and lastly will have to use scutum_rome_AA - Scutum_rome_AB and thats worst. I've named them following rank also first letters are for basic rank such as A, B, C, and so on for elite and advanced.

Why not 01_01 ?

4 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

7. they need frequency? if that so i'll add them.

I'm not sure.

5 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

i've kept them here in case id add another variant (and the test unit i've used for combat variant), was pretty time consuming going through folder for make 1 variant per texture if i could only leave x amount of variants and only add the textures.

The goal in the end is to integrate checkrefs.pl to be integrated to the CI and fail the build if files are missing, this is why we can't let warnings go in :) This is why I'm always complaining about it. (Also because in some cases it breaks the game)

7 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Some colors are desaturated to avoid mixing them with their respective player color, like blue and red.

Yeah but in case of the yellow shield, it's the whole shield ?

1 minute ago, Stan` said:

1 Why not 01_01 ?

2 I'm not sure.

3 The goal in the end is to integrate checkrefs.pl to be integrated to the CI and fail the build if files are missing, this is why we can't let warnings go in :) This is why I'm always complaining about it. (Also because in some cases it breaks the game)

4 Yeah but in case of the yellow shield, it's the whole shield ?

1 could work maybe, if don't confuse.
3. ah yes of course, this isn't the final mod. if they aren't filled with another variant they are deleted. i still think 5 variants only for a champion isn't enough.
4. i don't follow yet :LOL: it has the same alpha amount of others textures, nothing changed compared to the other textures but only the design.

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

6 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I have the feeling the color should be lighter, maybe a bit shinier ?

Ah well, that was better mention before bake the 30*3=90+ texture variants:LOL::LOL:

Though it looks pretty much similar to the aspis color even though one is baked and manipulated with paint.net and the other goes directly alpha from blender.

Spoiler

image.png

3 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Really sorry :/ Maybe it would have been easier had all the textures be rendered in one image :/

actually was pretty fast and easy while doing animals or just lines like this ones:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.png

while in cases like this it does take more than 20 minutes:

Spoiler

image.png

And later i've thought it was better have a full plain color and simply bake a green or purple line with the design if wasn't complicated like boar or bull:

Spoiler

image.png

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

An easy fix could be, to place a new layer underneath the existing baked textures, use fill tool and add white, then tweak transparency to 10% (This could lighten the color a bit, but will also reduce the saturation a little)

Doing this, this is the result:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

10% opacity

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alexandermb said:

Will see what can be done for the marian legionary scutum.

If you are looking for more designs, try to look for "légionnaire césarien" in google images. François Gilbert did a lot of things about it, although not totally correct for things like leather armband, it is quite good on the others.

• Alexandermb changed the title to ===[COMMITTED]=== Civ: Rome Scutum