===[COMMITTED]=== Civ: Rome Scutum

Alexandermb

Thread for suggestions and references for the next artwork: Roman Scutum.

Objective:

• Recreate Roman Scutum ingame textures.
  • Have damaged variants using health frequency Starting with a healthy scutum and proceed with 2 damaged versions. 100% -  75% - 50%

Base Textures so far done for have a workplace:

Spoiler

scutum_06.pngscutum_05.pngscutum_04.pngscutum_03.pngscutum_02.pngscutum_01.pngscutum_08.pngscutum_07 - copia.pngscutum_back.png

Some references:

Spoiler

asalto-romano-de-un-poblador-ligur.pngbatalla-de-bovianum-305-ac.pngejercito-romano-al-final-de-la-republica.pngbatalla-de-sentium-295-ac.pngescudos-romanos-de-dura-europos-siglo-iii.pngscutum-60.jpgUlaO4bH.jpg

I need front perspective reference of the boar, and other designs for properly draw them in blender and bake them as layers.

Reminder for myself:

Damage value amount:

1. Healthy 0.900
  2. Light 0.950
  3. Medium 1.000
  4. Heavy 1.100

23 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Dirt is important And wear (desgaste)

Yep, thats what i have been trying to achieve, thought i've only managed to add some mud? i guess just need to adjust the amount but its really hard to control the direction.

Spoiler

scutum_07.png

Or probably isn't that hard but i waste too much time loading. I don't know wich causes the material to be so heavy in the preview.

I could try to manage to get desaturation in the muddy zones in this better recently render:

Spoiler

scutum_07.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

4 minutes ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

I like what you've done, but currently the wear is only vertical.  Slashes from a sword could come from any direction.

i might have a solution for that with the latest info @Stan` posted in blender addons and tutorials topic. But i wasted about 1 /2  hour today looking why the normal map of the leather wasn't baking then i've realized i unplugged a node for bake the alpha channel :crazy:

@Lion.Kanzen can you make in SVG or even just as PNG the wings and any thunder/moon/stars you can if you have some time? i just need the sillouette with the inners details to use it as guideline while making the plain mesh for baking (SVG adds to many vertex so i just do a plain and adjust it using subsurf).

Algo como un molde que seguir. para lograr captar los detalles.

En caso de ser repetibles en simetria en el Eje X y Z. no haría falta que hagas ambos lados, con uno solo bastaria y luego yo aplico la simetria en blender.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

I like what you've done, but currently the wear is only vertical.  Slashes from a sword could come from any direction.

Solved:

Spoiler

scutum_12.pngscutum_12_spec.pngscutum_12_norm.pngimage.png

I am the  image.png

I wish i had any kind of audio and proper rig and spread what i have leanerd so far of blender to all of you. Though the audio may be an issue since im spanish languaje native.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

@Lion.Kanzen can you make in SVG or even just as PNG the wings and any thunder/moon/stars you can if you have some time? i just need the sillouette with the inners details to use it as guideline while making the plain mesh for baking (SVG adds to many vertex so i just do a plain and adjust it using subsurf).

Algo como un molde que seguir. para lograr captar los detalles.

En caso de ser repetibles en simetria en el Eje X y Z. no haría falta que hagas ambos lados, con uno solo bastaria y luego yo aplico la simetria en blender.

Which exactly?

The first working scutum front texture: (50% damaged) Missing boss.

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Textures:

Spoiler

scutum_rome_boar_damaged_01.pngscutum_rome_boar_damaged_01_norm.pngscutum_rome_boar_damaged_01_spec.png

Since they use the same spina on the shields, i've merged a new spina on the shield texture for match the colors and add damage on the spina. Looks cool!

And found a way of making the same damage of the shield goes above the boar even though isn't the same material.

Tried to make the damage concentrated on the upper zone though it doesn't want to obbey :LOL: so this is the final work for a 50% damaged shield, Still missing 75% and healthy/10% damaged shield.

This is by far the most complex material setup i have used in blender since celtic shields.

Have to lower a bit the brightness on the alpha channel so it won't looks so bright, so a new one is on the way baking.

Note: i know the board doesn't look that dirt but is because the texture being "renderized" and not baked removes some dirtyness because of the 2.81 denoiser.

9 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I guess the boss can be metal. Otherwise pretty sweet work.

Yep, gonna have to apply the same of the gauls shields about boss, since this does variate on the shields. But at least spina doesn't and that helps.

Any place you think this material could be used for german textures? or goths? or even celtic buildings if they had any with covered walls. 

@Stan` an important thing to mention is when the unit changes "damage variant" it coutns as an entity replacement and it resets its animation if its attacking, is barely unnoticeable but in case that might affect something after, it happens also when a packed unit changes between states, its like if its were being placed for the first time in the map with atlas.

Also its funny because the shield works as health bar, you wouldn't need to look at the hp bar if you play whitout GUI to know your infantry is wounded, you just need to look at the damaged shield.

20 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Yep, gonna have to apply the same of the gauls shields about boss, since this does variate on the shields. But at least spina doesn't and that helps.

Yeah we need more contrast to make them pop out more.  Spina could even be dark wood I guess.

22 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

@Stan` an important thing to mention is when the unit changes "damage variant" it coutns as an entity replacement and it resets its animation if its attacking, is barely unnoticeable but in case that might affect something after, it happens also when a packed unit changes between states, its like if its were being placed for the first time in the map with atlas.

That's weird, I guess it gets reset in CcmpVisual Actor. Maybe @wraitii knows why.

23 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Also its funny because the shield works as health bar, you wouldn't need to look at the hp bar if you play whitout GUI to know your infantry is wounded, you just need to look at the damaged shield.

Yeah I really liked that in M2TW (also the units would get sandy as well as bloody in the desert)

10 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Yeah I really liked that in M2TW (also the units would get sandy as well as bloody in the desert)

Yeah, in a massive combat you could easily check wich is the wounded infantry and retreat him to have less casualties, because sometimes is hard to find wich infantry Hp bar is lower.

• Alexandermb changed the title to ===[COMMITTED]=== Civ: Rome Scutum