I'm Planning to Get a New PC and I Need Advice

Even for a sale, I'm not buying a sportscar when I can walk home. To give you guys an update, I like @OptimusShepard's suggested build. It beautifully fits the budget.

I'm going to use that template, but I'll be following @Genava55's advice. Would a Ryzen 5 3600 do the trick? My current problem now is choosing a Motherboard. I've been sifting among so many, but I couldn't really confirm if they're compatible. And what I'm considering are these:
X570 Line - Aorus Elite
B450 Line - MSI Carbon vs. MSI Tomahawk

Does your current machine still work? If so, then there is no urgency to replace it partially or completely, right?

On 9/29/2019 at 12:59 PM, sphyrth said:

(I also need a machine that safely supports Linux)

You can safely run GNU/Linux on ten-year-old machines.

Modern Intel processors tend to have integrated graphics; if it's a cheap processor then it isn't great, but if it's a high-end then the graphics are actually quite decent and you don't really need a dedicated card.

For what's worth it, my machine is nearly four years old and still runs as new; there is a separate GPU somewhere but I don't know how to use it and am not even sure if it's actually detected by my operating system (Fedora 30); at least it doesn't show up under “About”:

Spoiler

633455148_Screenshotfrom2019-10-0319-51-25.png.207adfecd9ea866afad7befc62e7066d.png

The processor's integrated graphics are sufficient for everything I've done so far. That said, your budget is below what I've spent. Personally I dislike tinkering with hardware and prefer to pay a bit more to get quality. I don't believe I'm the most appropiate person to advise you, though.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sphyrth said:

Even for a sale, I'm not buying a sportscar when I can walk home. To give you guys an update, I like @OptimusShepard's suggested build. It beautifully fits the budget.

I'm going to use that template, but I'll be following @Genava55's advice. Would a Ryzen 5 3600 do the trick? My current problem now is choosing a Motherboard. I've been sifting among so many, but I couldn't really confirm if they're compatible. And what I'm considering are these:
X570 Line - Aorus Elite
B450 Line - MSI Carbon vs. MSI Tomahawk

The Ryzen 3600 is much faster than the e.g. 2200g. But the disadvantage is that the Ryzen CPUs (without "G" Ending) have no integrated GPU. So if you could you use your old graphics card further this is a really good choise. Note that you also need DDR4 RAM. DDR3 and DDR2 doesn't work.

All X570 are compatible to the new Ryzen 3000. The older Board like e.g. B450, X470 need an BIOS update. If you buy it now, they should allready have this update. Nearly all MSI Boards have the advantage of the flashback function, so you don't need a older CPU to update the BIOS.

Within the next 1-3 months the new B550 Boards will also be released. Maybe they have also PCIE 4.0.

I self use a B450 MSI Carbon with an 3700X and a RX 570. Since last week the new BIOS with Agesa 1.0.0.3abba is for the most boards available. Agesa abb, or newer is needed to use linux I will test manajro dualboot later this days. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

It would choke ATM we haven't got multi-core done yet and the pathfinder kinda limits you 200 citizens then lags :dance2: we might get close to that dream but it will take awhile since we're all volunteers and RL does have a way of leading people astray.

Enjoy the Choice :)  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, gracequiles said:

AMD cant seem to get a good graphics driver out. (I dont know if that is really the case now).

I can't confirm this in generally. I had 1 Nvidia and 2 AMD cards in the last three years. Both drivers are stable. The only thing you should attend is not buy an AMD graphic cards nearly after release. AMD needs sometimes some time until everything is running fine (RX 5700 had some start Problems but now running fine). Nvidia has faster OpenGL drivers, but AMD has the better driver features. So on Windows it doesn't matter what you choose. 

If you running on Linux, your first choice should be AMD, as they have much better drivers than Nvidia. This is because AMD startet (I think since 2017), supporting the open source drivers.

On 6/14/2020 at 1:47 PM, sphyrth said:

When it comes to processors, AMD is currently in the lead. But of course, that's on the latest, high-end side of things. But I'm really struggling to get to minimum cost right now (especially with this pandemic still crippling the economy).

I guess the upcoming AMD APUs could be interesting for you, as you could safe the money for the graphics card. The specs seems to, that the 4400G will be between the current 3600/X.

Release date is not given yet, but should be this summer.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 6:26 AM, OptimusShepard said:

I guess the upcoming AMD APUs could be interesting for you, as you could safe the money for the graphics card. The specs seems to, that the 4400G will be between the current 3600/X.

Release date is not given yet, but should be this summer.

Im going to take this advice. My 10 years old toaster (that I humble called "my pc") is dead now, for the happines of all my ex-0ad-players-friends. So im going to buy a Ryzen 3 3200G (its the cheaper ryzen APU where im going to buy) as a start, to upgrade in 2 years. You think this APU can deal 4x4 200 pop not mainland multiplayer games?

Edited by Pacha
typo

4 hours ago, Pacha said:

Im going to take this advice. My 10 years old toaster (that I humble called "my pc") is dead now, for the happines of all my ex-0ad-players-friends. So im going to buy a Ryzen 3 3200G (its the cheaper ryzen APU where im going to buy) as a start, to upgrade in 2 years. You think this APU can deal 4x4 200 pop not mainland multiplayer games?

As 0 A.D. isn't well threaded yet, it doesn't matter, that the CPU has "only" 4 cores. So yes, the CPU will do the job as good as other current CPUs.

Take attention to the RAM. The speed of integrated graphics strongly depends on the speed and the setup of the RAM. I would recommend you to buy an 3200MHz RAM. Also make sure, you buy a dual channel RAM setup. That means 2 instead of 1 RAM modules, e.g. 2×4GB RAM instead of 1×8GB. 

Edited by OptimusShepard

Integrated graphics will still be using the VRAM no? Aside from the onboarding buffer (which your dedicated card will also use)? I don't think the current ram bus allows to not tank GPU performance while using system ram.

You should be fine as long as you are not buying an Intel and it can push 4ghz on a single core.