==[Request]== Battle Sounds

Lion.Kanzen

@Lion.Kanzen I can send him a request but I honestly don't think it's because of the quality of sounds themselves but rather of the way they are played in the engine. If we had proper sound mixing instead of having a maximum of 64 sounds that can be played together that would improve a lot the situation and we could have walking units sounds.

That being said if we send him a request, because he is busy we should get a list of the sounds and how they are used so that he doesn't lose too much time. Sounds good to you ?

• Like 1

I don't think the alarm is the problem. Finding out where the alarm is occurring is the real pain. Many other games do this much better, especially via the minimap. AOE3 does it well there with little graphical animations and flares on the minimap. BfME2 also has dialogue that tells you what your units see and what's approaching, "It's a cave troll!" A simple hotkey addition that takes you to the position of the last alarm or notification would be very nice and useful. Spacebar could be used for this by default.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I don't think the alarm is the problem. Finding out where the alarm is occurring is the real pain. Many other games do this much better, especially via the minimap. AOE3 does it well there with little graphical animations and flares on the minimap. BfME2 also has dialogue that tells you what your units see and what's approaching, "It's a cave troll!" A simple hotkey addition that takes you to the position of the last alarm or notification would be very nice and useful. Spacebar could be used for this by default.  

So you think that with @Imarok's map ping that'd be enough ?

37 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

A minimap ping would be nice, yes, if that's what you mean. It's one of those little things whose absence keeps the game from feeling polished. :)  I also ask you consider my Spacebar proposal as well. 

I will. :) let's create a ticket

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/5608#ticket

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stan` said:

If it's so bad how come no one never complained before ?

I did  In alarm topic.

3 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I suggested this and last event cycle hotkey.

I saw the Battle sounds in the current svn. Improvements are still needed. I still hear them as spoons and forks clanging together. However, I like the Explosion Sounds caused by the Siege Catapults. When those rocks fall, those sounds made me feel the impact. It's great for the user experience.

The Alarm Sounds? I think they should be split to another thread. But I'll say that I agree with wow.
Red Alert 2 has a generic alarm sound with a little sprite animation on the minimap. It also has a generic script of what is being attacked:
"Our miner is under attack."
"Our base is under attack."
"Our unit is under attack".

0 A.D. both has the sound, and a little map warning of where the attack is taking place, but IMO the sound is too generic for it. Sometimes the slow transition (Peaceful Music to Battle Music) also gets in the way of that warning... which is maybe the the cause of happyconcept's complaint.