===[TASK]=== Ptolemaic Tarantine Cavalry (Mercenary Tarantine Settler)

Hidan

I agree that the lack of true custom Tarantine Cavalry actors in the game is an oversight. 

In Delenda Est, Tarantine Cavalry look like this, depicted in a Greco-Italic style:

screenshot0317.thumb.jpg.3d2ac5b9ea08f988a1527a0f4eef8abf.jpg

Their shields could definitely be improved. A mix of small "aspis" style and round "spina" style shields would be good, as they are depicted on coinage with both types. 

@Alexandermb @wackyserious

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Since Alpha 24 is around the corner and the Tarantine cavalry are still using the Odrysian actors, why not re-texture the Parma shields (for basic rank), and slightly shrink the aspides (for advanced/elite, as @wowgetoffyourcellphone mentioned above) until a willing modeller makes the actual shields with the spinae?

n1MLEF3.jpg

These ones look like they're wielding those for phalangites.

Also, the Odrysian cavalry may have to be wielding peltae (or none) instead of thureoi since the latter is only attested to the Hellenistic period in Greek mercenary usage.

Edited by Carltonus

11 hours ago, Carltonus said:

Since Alpha 24 is around the corner and the Tarantine cavalry are still using the Odrysian actors, why not re-texture the Parma shields (for basic rank), and slightly shrink the aspides (for advanced/elite, as @wowgetoffyourcellphone mentioned above) until a willing modeller makes the actual shields with the spinae?

n1MLEF3.jpg

These ones look like they're wielding those for phalangites.

Also, the Odrysian cavalry may have to be wielding peltae (or none) instead of thureoi since the latter is only attested to the Hellenistic period in Greek mercenary usage.

The guys are already packing things up for the release and it will be out real soon. I am taking note of this and will add this to my list for the next alpha development! Thanks!

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 18/2/2021 at 4:24 AM, wackyserious said:

[...T]he next alpha development[.]

No response yet, think it would be too late already. The Ptolemaic mercenary horse skirmishers will still be Thracian for the next alpha.

@wowgetoffyourcellphone, do you have samples of your take on the Tarantines in your mod?

Edited by Carltonus
Not "Seleucid"

56 minutes ago, PyrrhicVictoryGuy said:

Isn't tarantine cavalry a term  that describes their way of fighting, like those of tarantum, as skirmishers/prodromoi ?

Yes. Tarantine Cavalry are skirmish cav who use shields (while other skirmish cavalry types didn't use shields). First adopted by the Greek city of Taras (Tarentum), and then quickly adopted by other Hellenistic states.

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

Should be easy to fix by changing the shield orientation slightly I suppose.

36 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Yeah cause they have that peltast shield with a wave in the middle .

Yeah, I see there is no jav cav shield base variant. Hmm

base_javelin_relax

base_javelin_fast

are the only 2 options. Hmm

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • wackyserious changed the title to ===[TASK]=== Ptolemaic Tarantine Cavalry (Mercenary Tarantine Settler)