Resizing unit

Adrix

Hi there ! Me again begging for help =P

So here is my headache... I've prepared a new unit by rescaling and modifying an existing one. I did all of that on maya.
But, once I try to export it to blender (to then re-export it so 0ad can use it), the scale reset to what the original unit was. I haven't found a way to go around this, every try ending up with either the rig, the model or something not being the correct size.

I join the dae file after coming out of maya (so the right size). Once opened in blender it becomes man-sized once again, instead of giant. But it stays the right size if re-opened in maya.

This is driving me nuts @@" Any idea how to work around that ? I can't imagine how much of a nightmare it's gonna be once I start animating too.

daltus_crayk.dae

Hello @Adrix

Thanks for your interest in modding. Feel free to ask any question you have and I'll do my best to help you.

For your specific issue, I believe the problem lies in the fact that you haven't re-exported the other animations with the size changes. So when the game loads your new, smaller mesh it actually loads the armature from those files and deform it to fit. 

Also please note that the engine does not support bone scaling (rotation and location only) Collada does support it but then the file is converted to psa (for anims) and (pmd for static meshes) which do not support it.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I'm not sure whether it's documented on the wiki.

Thanks for the answer ! @Stan`
There are no animations associated with the actor file yet, only the mesh. The issue starts with blender itself but I think it's the same idea, the scaling isn't supported. Either that or it's an import/export issue between maya and blender.
Starting to think it would be easier to just redo the all thing, as time consuming as it would be.

25 minutes ago, azayrahmad said:

Perhaps out of topic, but is there any way to change unit size without touching the art files? I.e. Something like UnitScale in templates if you want to make some units/structures larger or smaller

Long story short nope. @sanderd17 attempted something like that in the past but it didn't work out. Else it could be convenient for visible garrisoning 

2 hours ago, Stan` said:

Long story short nope. @sanderd17 attempted something like that in the past but it didn't work out. Else it could be convenient for visible garrisoning 

Ah that's sad. Hopefully one day it could be implemented. I can think of numerous ways it could be useful beside visible garrisoning. Making giant heroes (a la Empire Earth), realistic size (unit:structure scale 1:1, imagine that with realistic warship size), fixing wrong size, etc. Imagine the possibilities.

• 7 months later...

Further to this I was hoping to change the size of ships to make them smaller. I found that ships tend to get stuck next to each other, making naval combat a bit stale for my tastes. I thought an easy change would be to half the size of all the ships, so they didn't get so jammed on maps like 'harbour' or 'islands'. 

I tried changing 'Footprint size' in the template files but that didn't seem to work. I don't really mind how big the graphics are - it's more the size for the purposes of unit-collision and pathfinding that I'm thinking of. 

Perhaps changing the Passability Class would do something?

Any ideas?

17 hours ago, Chiquita said:

Further to this I was hoping to change the size of ships to make them smaller. I found that ships tend to get stuck next to each other, making naval combat a bit stale for my tastes. I thought an easy change would be to half the size of all the ships, so they didn't get so jammed on maps like 'harbour' or 'islands'. 

I tried changing 'Footprint size' in the template files but that didn't seem to work. I don't really mind how big the graphics are - it's more the size for the purposes of unit-collision and pathfinding that I'm thinking of. 

Any ideas?

You need to change the obstruction size :)

18 hours ago, Chiquita said:

Yes.

Open simulation/data/pathfinder.xml and change the Clearance here:

<ship>
      <Obstructions>pathfinding</Obstructions>
      <MinWaterDepth>1</MinWaterDepth>
      <Clearance>10.0</Clearance>
    </ship>

Something like 5.0

But the main issue with boat is that their model have a big length / width ratio.