Spartan Champion Swordsman?

sphyrth

11 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

spart_champion_infantry_commando.png.fc7c0da97263653d21ddbf4f7b0d29d5.png

;) 

On 6/11/2016 at 2:39 PM, av93 said:

I usually don't play as sparta, but:

1) As I said in the balancing topic some time ago, maybe the translation of Ekdromos Skiritai, Skiritai Commando, should be renamed: commando reminds to some kind of modern special ops unit. I propose Skiritai runner. Sources 1, 2. The explanation of why Mythos gave that name is here.

Seems that the link are broken :(

Besides the name change, they served as light phalanx but also as runners and chasers. So probably they used spear as main weapon, as Wow have changed. Giving spears could be a little misleading from a POV gameplay, but on the other hand it gives cohesion to the civ spear identity and aesthetics (I'm not suggesting an stats change)

Okay, so wow's basically arguing that they should be spearmen.

History aside, I was questioning why the naming convention puts them as champions when the game classifies them as Elite-Rank Citizen Soldiers. I assume that they were originally intended to be champions, but then the devs changed how they were played later on.

5 hours ago, sphyrth said:

Okay, so wow's basically arguing that they should be spearmen.

Essentially like fast hoplites, yeah. I keep them as Elite Citizen Soldiers so as to not make them out class the Spartiate Hoplites, and also it makes them more of a unique "champion" to be classed that way. I wanted the Spartiates to be their one and only true champions. They also remind me of one of my favorite units from Age of Kings: the Eagle Warrior.

5 hours ago, sphyrth said:

History aside, I was questioning why the naming convention puts them as champions when the game classifies them as Elite-Rank Citizen Soldiers. I assume that they were originally intended to be champions, but then the devs changed how they were played later on.

The naming is just for the actor and template, because they take the place of a champion, but have the functions of a citizen-soldier. The Skiritai, as far as I know, weren't professional soldiers like Spartiates, but were a crack allied contingent levied by the Spartans, hence their Elite status. Better than a standard hoplite, not quite as good as a Spartiate.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Thanks 1