Lags and Connection Lost Problems

danth88

Hello all.

I am a huge fan of 0ad and have staretd playing a couple of years ago. Me and a friend had cronic disconnections during gameplay and we ended up forgetting the game's existence. Recently I downloaded the 23 re-released version to play with my girl. We both have decent machines (i5, 8gb, gtx1030, ssd) but no matter what we do, we are getting these huge lags during small games (3 players) and normal sized maps. I am aware that using I.A. decreases performance but even 1 enemy should be so bad?

We keep getting out of sync and bad connection problems playing over LAN. Haven't tried it online yet. Could there be something wrong with my setup or is it the game that doesn't support I.A. or LAN games for a longer time? I had this same problem with my friend two years ago (another version) and now again on this new one.

In resume, I am kinda lost. I really wanna play this game more but I keep getting legs and the connection falls everytime. The last one we could get back (even with I.A.). The game told us it wasn't possible to reconnect with I.A. players but it actually reconnected but was so laggy we couldn't finish the game.

I would be glad to have any possible help. And sorry if I posted on a wrong section. I will be pleased to move the post if necessary.
Thanks in advance. 

Unfortunately yes the IA has a huge impact on the game speed (Even one bot) that might change in the future but currently that's still the case. 

Things that can help are playing on smaller maps with limited population. 

The end game lag you are encountering is due to the pathfinder and will get better as @wraitiiimproves it in upcoming version.

Indeed you are able to rejoin an AI game however starting at that moment the game will be different between the player that rejoined and the others as his AI will start to do different things. (Each computer computes the whole game and the AI is not deterministic.)

Are you playing in WiFi or in Ethernet ?

I was playing on LAN. Today I've tried playing online and I had tons of lag playing on a 3vs3 match. Other players complained about lag but they didn't answer if it was a common problem or just now they were playing with me. There were no AIs this time and I still had unplayable conditions by the end of the match. One guy seemed to have disconnected during the gameplay.

Well a lot of people are able to play else 

Couldn't have taken place however we do know there is lag when many units are moving and @wraitii is doing is best. The game is indeed slower in multiplayer than in single player to account for network lag.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

It's not an excuse but unlike GTAV we don',t have a 295 Million budgets. Rather a 10 000th of that 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I definitely get it Stan!! I am a fan specially because the game is open source. I think you guys do an amazing job and I hope this post wasn't felt as a complaint. By the contrary, I love the game so much I would really like to play it without crashes and lags.

But keep up with the good work! I wish I was a better progammer so I could help out but I've stopped a few years ago.
I hope @wraitii nails it!

Edited by danth88