Hi! (multiple profiles artist)

Thinking it well, my main interests, once I'm a bit more free (time) would be of the kind, if there are slots free there (seems there are) :

For illustrations the main thing that would be nice to have are some new main menu backgrounds to complete the missing factions (eg the celtic factions) I will give you more information on how it's done if you are interested
Another type of thing we need are hero portraits (see the "Portraits" section of the art dev task thread)

Interested in both, actually...

Are those backgrounds (like the celtic stuff) like those that show up before starting a game or when the player has finished one (I have only launched the game a couple of times, sorry) ? Because I can quite make stuff of that nature (IMO, as is kind of recent years (decades, lol) my main job/strongest skill).

And ...

The 3D animals thing.  :)  

Even texturing/modeling (if it means I can animate  them as well, hehe... or just modeling + texturing, why would I be rigid with anything... )

If I have time, and there's free slots of those, I know I'll enjoy that more :D .  But once done a bit of that, might be functional to help with icons, for the god of the project (or other task that might be important).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Iakobos said:

For illustrations the main thing that would be nice to have are some new main menu backgrounds to complete the missing factions (eg the celtic factions) I will give you more information on how it's done if you are interested
Another type of thing we need are hero portraits (see the "Portraits" section of the art dev task thread)

I help to Rossi at the first time with this. Many Hellenistic Portraits are missing.

All Seleucid... All Ptolemaic.

5 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I good to know how we can work together, the fauna is important. But you are right.

Yep, I believe there's such an amount of tasks pending, that rarely would be an issue.  :) The safest IMO is to pick something that is not even started, neither mentioned by anyone to be in their future plans. (the illustration of the celtics background could be a good one, or a portrait that is not taken by anyone, or any fauna model not even started (but for 3D I know I'll need to check many specs, hehe (polygon count, size of texture, style of UVing, use the script (not a prob to use a script in blender, though), max and minimum timing (or nº of frames) for the animals anims, types and number of animations...A lot to read, hehe. That's why I don't know if maybe is better to start with sth less technical like illustration/portraits, 2D stuff)

3 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I help to Rossi at the first time with this. Many Hellenistic Portraits are missing.

All Seleucid... All Ptolemaic.

Great to know !!

I'll dig in that direction tomorrow (having or not time to start it already tomorrow :) )

Hellenistic and Ptolemaic, maybe.  :) I'll dig all specs to make those portraits.

I'm guessing they can be done as fully painting, right? (brush painted but realistic)

Ouchy.... Seems I already made something wrong....

I uploaded in its day the samples (is a commercial project) you have already seen in my first post . I just removed them, as was going to paste that paragraph in that thread (for the legal stuff, confirming that future uploads on this forum would be CC BY-SA 3.0). I just realized the legal waiver says.... "for future and past work that I uploaded"... But those samples (even if I wanted badly to be so) which I uploaded for you to check at least a small sample of my work, can't be provided for free in anyway, nor used other than as my portfolio, to get a job or gig (not due to me, but for third parties). But the paragraphs says... "in the past", too, and I can't make those shields icons free (wish I could!...).

Of course, zero problems for anything (other than my portfolio) done from now on for this project and posted here (since now). As that's the idea (CC BY-SA 3.0 and all).

Edited by Iakobos

If one wants to read that sentence carefully it can be understood as just be related to work posted in the art development forum. And the icons can be understood as something other than work in this context (as they were not posted as work done for the project, but as references of what you are capable of doing). Either way, the text is mostly so we have some way to show that people are responsible for the things they post to abide by the license.

• Like 2

The purpose of the single legal waiver is to leave no doubt about individual files. (If you would have to state it for each one, it's easy to forget, and if a licence isn't explicitly clear, a file can't be used.) You can use a similar but different wording if you like, the crucial part is the CC-BY-SA-3.0 bit. And no, it does not apply to works you don't own the copyright of; you can safely show (or quote) images from others.

• Like 1

Oki.... I'm not too bad searching (indeed, I always search for my own refs for client work, etc) but I'm having some surprising issues to find the threads about menu backgrounds and portraits....  The 3D meshes ones pop up even without searching....

All I could find are these ...

About backgrounds (this is my major interest, as would be complete illustrations which I can also show as portfolio samples at my site )  :

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/17180-main-menu-background/page/6/

About portraits (indeed, I'd be inclined to paint (100% paint) these heroes portraits, not "unit" portraits, at least for now. Well, in any case, those who aren't assigned even by thoughts to anyone)

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/21299-portraits-for-heroes/page/8/

Also ... Have been reading threads in 3D meshes and anims threads. Seems you have some really active members (Alexander, for example) at that, and very good. Who are taking care of all. Does not seem to me that you need help there.  And I would need to get up to speed with all the engine specs. So, I decided to focus only at first in those two things : Menu backgrounds and (heroes, for now) portraits. Also, I believe is where I can be more helpful (more skills developed there than in other areas). I'm more eager to do that, but also, I think is a better fit, for now.

So... if that (celtics ? ) menu background has no one assigned, or well, any other complete background/illustration of the kind/size, please if Stan or anyone is so kind,  let me know which is it (the info/specs to make it) , where I can read the specs of what is needed.

Also, the portrait heroes thread seems self explanatory.. an image of the size of any of those already there, I would only need to know which heroes are pending to be made and not assigned to anyone, yet. I seem to see here people really savvy about history, if there's some need to be very historically accurate or something, and need/wish to post references about those (whatever I'm assigned, lol), ideally before starting, feel free to !

Edited by Iakobos
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Iakobos said:

Oki.... I'm not too bad searching (indeed, I always search for my own refs for client work, etc) but I'm having some surprising issues to find the threads about menu backgrounds and portraits....  The 3D meshes ones pop up even without searching....

All I could find are these ...

About backgrounds (this is my major interest, as would be complete illustrations which I can also show as portfolio samples at my site )  :

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/17180-main-menu-background/page/6/

About portraits (indeed, I'd be inclined to paint (100% paint) these heroes portraits, not "unit" portraits, at least for now. Well, in any case, those who aren't assigned even by thoughts to anyone)

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/21299-portraits-for-heroes/page/8/

That's because there aren't that many (Which IMHO is nice cause you find them quickly) 

For portraits the list of heroes is in the art dev task tracking thread :) Currently no one is working on them.

Also ... Have been reading threads in 3D meshes and anims threads. Seems you have some really active members (Alexander, for example) at that, and very good. Who are taking care of all. Does not seem to me that you need help there.  And I would need to get up to speed with all the engine specs. So, I decided to focus only at first in those two things : Menu backgrounds and (heroes, for now) portraits. Also, I believe is where I can be more helpful (more skills developed there than in other areas). I'm more eager to do that, but also, I think is a better fit, for now.

Yeah Alexandermb is focusing on the existing stuff though, not the new ones or Micket's forsaken ones :) you can find a list here with what they are missing.

Also, the portrait heroes thread seems self explanatory.. an image of the size of any of those already there, I would only need to know which heroes are pending to be made and not assigned to anyone, yet. I seem to see here people really savvy about history, if there's some need to be very historically accurate or something, and need/wish to post references about those (whatever I'm assigned, lol), ideally before starting, feel free to !

All the heroes in the art dev task list are pending and not taken by anyone.

So... if that (celtics ? ) menu background has no one assigned, or well, any other complete background/illustration of the kind/size, please if Stan or anyone is so kind,  let me know which is it (the info/specs to make it) , where I can read the specs of what is needed.

@LordGood Might be of greater help as he made the old one. Just know that they should be separated in multiple layers usually sky background and foreground characters so that each of them can slide independently giving the impression of movement

3 hours ago, Stan` said:

Just know that they should be separated in multiple layers usually sky background and foreground characters so that each of them can slide independently giving the impression of movement

Unless something changed, isn't it very important to mention that the images need to tile? It was a big headache for Pedro when he was making his background, because his piece wasn't originally intended to tile. (though I still don't understand why this is made to be like that, as long as the image is long enough on the horizontal axis).  

3 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Unless something changed, isn't it very important to mention that the images need to tile? It was a big headache for Pedro when he was making his background, because his piece wasn't originally intended to tile. (though I still don't understand why this is made to be like that, as long as the image is long enough on the horizontal axis).  

I guess it's because of screen ratios and the way the background slides. In some cases the background could slide enough in one way and the rest in the opposite direction that there would be a black spot. With the background tiling that would feel that spot :)

• Like 1

Tiling is necessary because it handles resizing of the window/ odd monitor resolutions too. any layer that interacts with both edges of the composition, left and right, need to blend into one another. I had mentioned that to pedro several times.

also make note that textures in this engine need to be a power of two to load properly

• Like 2

Hero portraits : No problem seems all pretty straight, easy specs.

Background :

-Tiling: No problem specially knowing it on advance (thanks for the warning ! ). I've spent my work life tiling stuff, so, no biggie :wink1: .We're sure there's not also needed tiling top with bottom, right ? That would be quite harder and leave it as a less coherent illustration.

- Separated in several layers : I guess 2 layers: one for characters + other for background ? Or more than two?. In any case, no problem, and I had already noticed that parallax slight animation, so,was counting on that.

- Texture powers of two, oki. If someone has the exact size of the background-tile currently being used, that'd be amazing for both me and the programmers :) 

- The most important point : As seems I am going to do this one about the Celts,  anything this composition should be about ? IE, Does it need to be some characters/fighters in close/middle camera shot, and a background with a roman/greek or whatever city/fort  (which supposedly they're going to attack) ? Totally fine if so, or also if not . Or is it "free theme" for me about Celtic culture/Celts (obviously focused on combat, due to the game). I don't mind whatever must be the situation/composition, I only need to know what's the case or already defined idea, or if that's on me.