Creating The Bronze Age mod

Sebastián Gómez

30 minutes ago, Basshunter said:

I haven't managed to understand how SkirmishReplacements node in civ files works. Could someone give me a hand?

I'm trying to set my starting units as follows for both random and skirmish maps:

- 1 cavalryman

- 4 spearman

- 4 workers

Error log file attached

Error log.txt 1.12 kB · 2 downloads

Try update your svn again.

9 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Does that file exist

Failed to load entity template 'units/acha_infantry_javelinist_b' ?

No, it doesn't. I don't want javelinists for now.

3 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Try update your svn again.

I went to SVN main folder D:\Installers\0AD\SVN then right click and selected SVN update.

Erros about javelinist unit still appear,

Edited by Basshunter

ERROR: CCacheLoader failed to find archived or source file for: "simulation/templates/units/acha_infantry_javelinist_b.xml"

So have you checked this file, does it exist with the correct name and is it truly in simulation/templates/units?

CMIIW, but I think Random maps starting units are unique per Civs and can be modified in simulation\data\civs and editing each civ. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Stan` said:

I believed I figured it out. You need to specify the default for the javelinist else it will default to something you don't have :)

Could you elaborate on this please? I'm afraid I'm not getting it.

How does this SkirmishReplacements node work?

Why does the game try to load this javelinist unit despite I didn't set it as a starting unit in my civ file?

How can I control the number of starting units for skirmish maps?

What's the purpose of life?

Hope you can help me with some of these questions when you have some time :) 

Edited by Basshunter

9 minutes ago, Basshunter said:

Could you elaborate on this please? I'm afraid I'm not getting it.

How does this SkirmishReplacements node work?

There is a section at the bottom of the civ json where you can specify the skirmisher replacements.

Why does the game try to load this javelinist unit despite I didn't set it as a starting unit in my civ file?

If not specified in the civ json, then they will default to what is specified in the skirmish templates.

How can I control the number of starting units for skirmish maps?

You place the skirmish templates in Atlas.

What's the purpose of life?

Hope you can help me with some of these questions when you have some time :) 

• Thanks 1

I could fix the error by using this lines:

Spoiler

image.png.86f31cb35d12ce8253bc514e2f0b2dd9.png

So what I could understand is that skirmish maps will always give you 2 melee units and 2 ranged ones by default, is it correct?

I'll probably try to better understand all this thing about skirmish templates in the future. For now, I think I'm moving forward. Thank you guys for all the assistance provided today. :)

Edited by Basshunter
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Basshunter said:

I could fix the error by using this lines:

Hide contents

image.png.86f31cb35d12ce8253bc514e2f0b2dd9.png

Yes, exactly. In short:

SkirmishReplacements for skirmish maps

StartEntities for random maps

These are separated because random maps and skirmish maps use different methods of placing the starting units.

11 minutes ago, Basshunter said:

So what I could understand is that skirmish maps will always give you 2 melee units and 2 ranged ones by default, is it correct?

Skirmish maps can have as many of these skirmishreplacement units as you want to place in them. But yes, it seems the standard is 4 women, 2 ranged dudes, 2 melee dudes, 1 cav, and 1 special unit if applicable, because that is the random map standard. You don't have to make it that way in your mod though. You could have players start with 10 women (or Citizens as in Delenda Est) and no military units if you wanted. You'd have to go through each skirmish map and do this by hand in Atlas though, but would be worth it to differentiate your mod if that's what you wanted to do. To make this happen in Random maps, you'd adjust the StartEntities section in the civ jsons. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

23 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Skirmish maps can have as many of these skirmishreplacement units as you want to place in them. But yes, it seems the standard is 4 women, 2 ranged dudes, 2 melee dudes, 1 cav, and 1 special unit if applicable, because that is the random map standard. You don't have to make it that way in your mod though. You could have players start with 10 women (or Citizens as in Delenda Est) and no military units if you wanted. You'd have to go through each skirmish map and do this by hand in Atlas though, but would be worth it to differentiate your mod if that's what you wanted to do. To make this happen in Random maps, you'd adjust the StartEntities section in the civ jsons. 

That's very clear. I must say however that I find 0ad map system not very intuitive.

I'd prefer to have all these skirmish and random maps in just one category, allowing the user to choose size, number of players and all common features for whatever map they choose. 

This again is just my opinion, and probably not everyone's. I'll try to revisit this topic in the future to see if there's something I can do in my mod.

Edited by Basshunter

3 minutes ago, Basshunter said:

I'd prefer to have all these skirmish and random maps in just one category, allowing the user to choose size, number of players and all common features for whatever map they choose. 

Can't players already do this with random maps? :) 

Skirmish maps were a nice compromise between the hand crafted nature of scenario maps, with the customization of random maps. Similar to the maps in Starcraft.

2 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Can't players already do this with random maps? :) 

Skirmish maps were a nice compromise between the hand crafted nature of scenario maps, with the customization of random maps. Similar to the maps in Starcraft.

Maybe I hadn't understood the nature of skirmish maps, to be honest.

• Like 1

I have also wondered about that. In Civ json, StartingEntities are apparently only apply to Random maps, but for Skirmish maps we have to use SkirmishReplacements. This is probably because in Skirmish maps the entities are placed individually, unlike Random where everything is decided by random generation. So it seems that if you want to add more starting unit types you have to edit every skirmish map one by one.

In my understanding Skirmish map should be premade map terrainwise but starting units and structures should follow the same list as Random.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, azayrahmad said:

In my understanding Skirmish map should be premade map terrainwise but starting units and structures should follow the same list as Random.

Ehhh, maybe not. Remember the Skirmish maps are supposed to allow certain "scenario" type elements too. So, a designer can make a Skirmish map where each player starts with 20 soldiers or something like that. :) 

• Like 1

Skirmish maps are supposed to be something in between random and scenario maps. Skirmish placeholders can be found under `simulation/templates/skirmish/`, but their defaults can be redefined in the civ.json files, under the "SkirmishReplacements" entry, at the bottom ("StartEntities" are for random maps only); e.g. the default ranged infantry for skirmish maps is `{civ}_infantry_javelinist_b`, but `athen.json` replaces it with `athen_infantry_slinger_b`; melee infantry isn't redefined in the `athen.json` file, which means they have the default, i.e. spearmen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've successfully managed to 1) Make some structures buildable outside territory limits 2) Remove territory influence from all building 2) Remove resource gathering capabilities from soldiers 3) Reduce the number of structures soldiers can build:

Spoiler

image.png.437b4ebc96c324686099c2ca62950cf2.png

After achieving this last one I came across with 3 errors related to the game not being able to remove stone walls from the structures Spartans can build. Why's that? Only god knows. And hopefully some of you too. :)

I've attached the error log file so maybe someone can take a look.

Error Log.txt

Edited by Basshunter

5 minutes ago, azayrahmad said:

How did you exactly prevent Spartans from building stone wall?

I imagine you should remove it from the template and add stone wall to every other civs except Sparta. Otherwise not sure.

I didn't mess with any Spartan template. Just removed most of the structures from builder node in template_unit_infantry.xml as shown in my previous picture.

Edited by Basshunter

25 minutes ago, azayrahmad said:

image.png

There are extra whitespaces after wallset_stone there, can you try to remove it and see if the error persists?

Oh, I forgot to mention that I had to include that wallset_stone to temporarily fix the errors. It is not intended to be there since I don't want my soldiers to build walls. However, once you delete it, the errors shows up again.

The next thing I know is that Spartan unit templates has this line "-structures/{civ}_wallset_stone" which indicates they can't build walls. This seems to be part of the conflict.

Regarding those line, how the hell did they get there? Do you how to avoid doing that in brackets?

Edited by Basshunter

I don't know why you got extra spaces, but it's possible you accidentally pressed space multiple times or other cause. Best way to avoid it if your text editor cannot detect trailing spaces is just delete the line and retype instead of copy-paste. This is also to ensure there's no typo as well.

Is it still displaying error after you retype the wallset stone line?