===[COMMITTED]=== Greaves

Alexandermb

I would rather wait till i get a good way of baking hair-like shader for animals then do a high poly sculpt of wolfs, deers, bear, pumas, cheetah, etc. Working with one kinda of animal for a placeholder design then few months later have a better solution and the possibility of have a better version is annoying to have to update it again.

i've tried to update the deer but i don't like the results of the texture for this kind of animal:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

1 hour ago, Alexandermb said:

Btw there isn't so many files. most of them are just adv or elite version and only a few factions so it won't gonna be 800 files plus 30%+ of the textures are pers/maur/celt wich won't use greaves.

If 30% aren't using them, it means 70% are :D That's still a lot of time used with a little impact vs usefulness ratio :) 

Deer → Yeah it's not so great. I like the current one, maybe you could just use the mesh, you don't need to reexport it :) (Unless you change the UV ofc) Maybe one day I'll find a way to import the armature in Blender, Pyrogenesis is the only engine that likes it. Even unity 3D doesn't work.

Just now, Stan` said:

If 30% aren't using them, it means 70% are :D That's still a lot of time used with a little impact vs usefulness ratio :) 

from that 70% only a few are advanced or elite/hero/champ wich means from 800+ textures, the ones using graves are around 60-120 and while i was writing this i decided to check so from 800+ textures they are just 100, wich i can easily copy/paste a leg texture and place it over as a layer with paint.net

53 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Would be nicer if done via script so it's reusable :) Do they all have the same skin tone ?

Speaking of which, how many skin tones are there in 0 A.D. actually? And wouldn't it be better to draw skin textures seperatedly from clothing etc.?

3 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Speaking of which, how many skin tones are there in 0 A.D. actually?

Quite a few, though not all of them are used. I updated the zip there → https://trac.wildfiregames.com/attachment/wiki/ArtDesignDocument/base_human_skins.zip

(Missing the native american because of the 2MB limit)

And wouldn't it be better to draw skin textures seperatedly from clothing etc.?

Well that's why artists use layers. the skin is just the bottom layer :) (Hence the importance of source files.)

1 minute ago, Stan` said:

Quite a few, though not all of them are used. I updated the zip there → https://trac.wildfiregames.com/attachment/wiki/ArtDesignDocument/base_human_skins.zip

Well that's why artists use layers. the skin is just the bottom layer :) (Hence the importance of source files.)

2mb limit?

26 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Thanks, that makes sense. In that case it shouldn't be too hard to remove greaves from a few dozen textures, should it?

2 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Thanks, that makes sense. In that case it shouldn't be too hard to remove greaves from a few dozen textures, should it?

The most hard thing was re-export all animation and meshes all over again and that was already done. handling textures is pretty much easy as i mentioned before placing a layer above another texture

• Like 1