Randomize unit at creation

Adrix

Hi again ! Here to ask more questions !

I would like to create a unit that can spawn with either a spear, a sword or a mace, which mean different damage types and different actors (though I suppose it would be possible to create a single actor for all three). Is there a way to do this at the moment ? I didn't succeed in using variant in a template but it might just be stupidity. I thought of creating 4 templates (1 base and 1 for each version) and have a random version be picked when the unit if trained. But I have no idea how to do such a thing either.

(While I am at it, is there a way to convert ennemy units ? (think wololo))

Edited by Adrix

8 minutes ago, Adrix said:

I would like to create a unit that can spawn with either a spear, a sword or a mace, which mean different damage types and different actors (though I suppose it would be possible to create a single actor for all three). Is there a way to do this at the moment ? I didn't succeed in using variant in a template but it might just be stupidity. I thought of creating 4 templates (1 base and 1 for each version) and have a random version be picked when the unit if trained. But I have no idea how to do such a thing either.

Do you need that for a mod you are working on?

10 minutes ago, Adrix said:

In alpha23b there is:

- wololo cheat code

- you can give Capturable component to that unit

Else that's not really hard to do (depending of your needs). Here is an old example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHJs81pwtts

Yes I'm working on a submob for Hyrule Conquest; adding a couple of extra factions but struggling for certain mechanics we have in mind. And thanks for the conversion ^^ I will look into that !

EDIT : If I understand you can set some units to be capturable but not give the ability to convert to specific units ? (like the priest in AoE)

Edited by Adrix
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Adrix said:

Yes I'm working on a submob for Hyrule Conquest; adding a couple of extra factions but struggling for certain mechanics we have in mind. And thanks for the conversion ^^ I will look into that !

EDIT : If I understand you can set some units to be capturable but not give the ability to convert to specific units ? (like the priest in AoE)

Nice !

If you want to use the current system (currently used for buildings and some siege engine):

Give an Attack/Capture to the capturers and the Capturable component to the other units.

But it would be perhaps only a temporary solution.

If you want a proper conversion ability would you prefer something passive or active?

• Confused 1

There is a special capture component ? That mean you'd have to add the capturable component to all units though.

I imagined a unit that (again, aoe rip off) use conversion as a ranged attack. Instead of dealing damage to an unit it steals it after a couple of seconds of  'attack'. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Trinketos said:

Ok
How i add a the capture component, or other components? 

For the capturer (lines 4-9):

https://github.com/JustusAvramenko/delenda_est/blob/master/simulation/templates/template_unit_infantry.xml

For the capturable (lines 11-15):

https://github.com/JustusAvramenko/delenda_est/blob/master/simulation/templates/template_unit_support_citizen_female.xml

But that's just using the current system which is more design for buildings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fatherbushido said:

I see that they use classes to block which unit can capture a certain entity.
Is this correct or is posible to make somenting like this?

14 hours ago, Adrix said:

13 hours ago, fatherbushido said:

Do you need that for a mod you are working on?

This kind of feature would be useful for male/female variations of units, such as Villagers/Citizens and/or Male and female variants of Scythian units.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wraitii said:

In sure that could be useful, but I was envisioning some kind of template scheme where you could list child templates and frequency for each. That parent template would be what's listed in the building templates production queue.