When To Download Media, When To Buy It ?

Only if it's really expensive, or as a preview to buy it later (although that isn't necesary in most cases since there are 30 day trial versions).

I just think many companies price their products too high, although some have educational versions. Compare this to the open source community and you'll see how obvious it is that it's possible to price your products lower and still gain a good profit.

It's the same thing with hosting or web design companies. In Belgium they ask 10 times more then in the US (not all companies, but most), while the service is just as good or sometimes worse. I've seen French web design companies asking 400euro for a stupid layout that I can make in half an hour. So they just rely on the people's ignorance to rip them off.

That's why there is Instrosurf Online, to make sure no surfband or label gets ripped off by these @#$%s ;)

I am turning from the dark side of pirating ;)

Last year I put down about $800 for software where before I was using warez versions. Its so tempting and easy to do which is my dilemna. Although I do think that software is way over priced. So are games! Which is why I want to show them how it should be done with a freeware game =]

If there's only a couple songs that I like, I'll download them. Otherwise, I'll go check out the CD in the store, and see if it's worth my money.

Last PC game I bought was Cone Campaigns, since my PC can't seem to handle any 3D game. Which is a shame, as I wanted to get Vice City.

Oh, yep forgot the music thing.

Actually kazaa and the likes are fantastic to discover new music. Instead of waisting your money to cds or records you're not too sure off you just download a few songs to hear it's good. If not, trashcan, otherwise I'll go buy them.

It's really useful for a surfmusic freak like me. You find tons of songs on band sites, but kazaa also has a lot to offer, quite strange how surfmusic is so popular in that community. The thing with surf is that if you want those obscure 60s records or songs you'll either have to dig up a lot of money (eg. the cowabunga boxed set is 250$US) or you simply won't find it anymore. Fortunatly some people put this stuff on kazaa, so I can listen to it and learn to play them.

I do have problems with people downloading music because they don't want to buy a cd. Ok, if it's a record of one of those mainstream "artists" or bands you hear on commercial radio I have absolutely no problems with it, those guys also steal music, money and public from the underground genres. But if you do this with a band not belonging to those @#$%s you'll have me kicking your @#$%, you don't know how much emotion, creativity, sweat, blood and time goes into this B)

So, just download stuff if there's no other option, otherwise just buy the record, underground genres/bands' records are really cheap ($8 - $14 max).

I use Kazaa to discover new artists, if I really like them I search online to buy their music (since they're new and you can't really buy them anywhere)

Otherwise I don't have that many CDs that I've bought from retail stores, they're too expensive, like $15-25 in some places. Whats more insulting is that theres maybe only 1 or 2 good songs on the whole CD.

Lol, if they want to hunt down everyone using kazaa for illegal activities they will have to sue half of the internet users B)

I thought they were just after those providing the illegal material, which is sensible imo. But still, I have no problems with those providing mp3s, ISOs, cracks or rips of products by certain companies or so-called artists, they have been treating small companies, labels or musicians unfairly long enough, so this is what happens if you think you can do what you want.