Civ: Germans (Cimbri, Suebians, Goths)

24 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

@Genava55des idées? Vous connaissez bien ces religions.

Multiple structures could be a great idea.

You could have a small sanctuary with a wooden statue, a sanctuary with a semi-natural groove, a sanctuary on water or on a marsh, a sanctuary with a tree and weapon offerings. You can also have an assembly place etc. etc.

A sanctuary like the statue could provide an area bonus ideal for defense. A sanctuary in a groove should bring a general bonus but it should be defended while being far from the civic center.

You can put condition on some sanctuaries, like being far from the civic center, built on a forest, built on water bodies etc.

Going further, the Suebi could have an unique ressource, scrapping weapons from fallen foes, giving them unit bonus instead of experience. And they could have the choice to discharge those weapons in a sanctuary to convert it as a general bonus or to unlock unique tech. But this requires a lot of coding.

Edited by Genava55
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Great job! we may have versions for Terra Magna?

That would be very good, I already made the art available on github, I believe that terra magna needs to be updated to alpha 27, the structure and unit templates already exist in Delenda Est, I think it would be easy to adapt them to the mod. Anyone who wants to help with this I'm willing to teach everything I know.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lopess said:

That would be very good, I already made the art available on github, I believe that terra magna needs to be updated to alpha 27, the structure and unit templates already exist in Delenda Est, I think it would be easy to adapt them to the mod. Anyone who wants to help with this I'm willing to teach everything I know.

I can think of only one person to help us; Yekaterina.

• Like 1

On 21/02/2023 at 5:28 PM, Lopess said:

That's always welcome, of course if it doesn't cause you trouble. The art is from @Duileoga and the export to the game is mine, if you want to create a conversation with both of us that would be great!

Buenos días o tardes;

-El diseño es de @Obskiuras , yo solo lo materialicé/apliqué  :sweatdrop: y @Lopess lo exportó y compatibilizó :).

Disculpen las molestias*

• Like 1

On 21/02/2023 at 5:28 PM, Lopess said:

That's always welcome, of course if it doesn't cause you trouble. The art is from @Duileoga and the export to the game is mine, if you want to create a conversation with both of us that would be great!

Some general feedback: :) 

• Suebi look a lot like the Gauls in their building layout. Maybe they could have different ones. 
  • Their texture set is a bit too saturated.
  • I think some assets from DE could be reused @wowgetoffyourcellphone might know more.
  • There is some nasty UVMapping on the buildings, stretching, tearing etc, would be nice to fix it. 
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

Some general feedback: :) 

• Suebi look a lot like the Gauls in their building layout. Maybe they could have different ones. 
  • Their texture set is a bit too saturated.
  • I think some assets from DE could be reused @wowgetoffyourcellphone might know more.
  • There is some nasty UVMapping on the buildings, stretching, tearing etc, would be nice to fix it. 

Thank you for all the points raised, I will look for improvements, I believe that now the community can help a lot since any European civ has enough documentation and study, arts and references. The only part that I question is in the part of buildings very similar to the Gauls as a negative point, I believe that the idea is to look for formats close to the standard of the game, I remember strong questionings against structures with more "fies" formats but far from " standards" common to 0AD as well as other RTS games.

14 minutes ago, Lopess said:

Thank you for all the points raised, I will look for improvements, I believe that now the community can help a lot since any European civ has enough documentation and study, arts and references. The only part that I question is in the part of buildings very similar to the Gauls as a negative point, I believe that the idea is to look for formats close to the standard of the game, I remember strong questionings against structures with more "fies" formats but far from " standards" common to 0AD as well as other RTS games

For certain buildings the size is Standard.

The military or creation of troops must meet that standard, as well as the CC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Lopess said:

The only part that I question is in the part of buildings very similar to the Gauls as a negative point

For me, it's probably the roof texture that looks too similar to the Gauls and Britons. I think the texture I posted above is an improvement of making them look more distinct. For the Stables, I think I'm too used to the "Horse Corral" from DE and which maybe something more like that would be done. I'm also not sure if the early Germans (whether Cimbri or Suebians) would have a big Siege Arsenal structure, but we might have to make it necessary since all of the other civs have one. That is a civ design issue though, not art. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 21/12/2022 at 4:56 PM, Ultimate Aurelian said:

Rammaz (Ram as in the animal; there is no evidence the word was associated with siege engines like in the classical world)

In modern german, a <siege weapon>ram is called "Rammbock" (Ramm-Bock), where "Bock" means <animal>"male buck". Perhaps it was derived from the natural world?

//EDIT There is a online dictionary where you can see where german words (possibly) derived from. The word "Rammbock" can i there not find, but it gives info on the word "Ramme".

Translation attempt:

"[die] Ramme f.
device for stamping the ground, for driving stakes / pegs into the floor
... old high german "ramma" (9th/10th century)
... late middle high german "ramme".
...underlying is a word for the animal aries/ram which has gone extinct in new high german: "ram" (8th ctry), "rammo" (9th ctry) [which is now called "Widder, Schafbock" <schaf = sheep, bock = male>]

...transferred usage in the sense of "drophammer, ram<siege>", based on the idea of a aries who is running against something with a sunken head, are shown by
...the dutch, english ram aswell as...
...the - in analogy to other terms for devices and tools - female word "Ramme"
The origin of the animal name is unknown. Unsure, whether as a 'strong' or 'strong-scenting animal' from old nordic 'ram(m)r' = strong, sharp, bitter."

This was most likely derived from the animal. We may ask ourselfs in which extent the early germans have ever encountered a siege ram before seeing other civilizations using them. Plus, there were very dense forests, swamps etc. in germania. Probably hard to move rams with wheels in that biome. i guess that, if they wanted to ram something, they derived the word for describing the action (ramming) by taking the term for the animal, which they already knew. Then, they take like a log or something, looking at each other and saying "ramma" while pointing at an obstacle or a gate maybe.

Edited by sternstaub
  • Thanks 1