Civ: Germans (Cimbri, Suebians, Goths)

image.thumb.png.de234b6f40d4da14c2e98a2487368e45.png

Fig 1. Excavation plan of a Migration period house at Lojsta (Gotland) and elevation of the reconstructed entrance wall and cross-sections at the second and fifth trestle from the entrance (after Boethius & Nihlén 1932)

image.thumb.png.045d3d728d253f8207ca3eccead5c872.png

Fig 2. Sketched cross-sections of Danish house types, a: a two-aisled Neolithic/Early Bronze Age house; b: a three-aisled Early Iron Age house; c: a Viking Trelleborg house; d: a single-aisled Late Viking/Early medieval house with a lean-to added (after Näsman 1987)

image.thumb.png.899eeeaea4f7f8b46c3c704edee32911.png

Fig 8 abcdef. Sketch plans of Danish houses: a; Neolithic - Early Bronze Age; b: Early Bronze Age; c: Late Bronze Age; d: Celtic Iron Age; e: Early Roman Iron Age; f: Late Roman - Early Germanic Iron Age. Tie beams, purlins and central ridges are drawn with unbroken lines. Hipped roofs are marked with an angle at the trestles at the end walls. Room divisions and stalls in byres are marked with broken lines where probable. Probable or certain fireplaces are marked by hatched spots (after Näsman 1987)

Edited by Genava55
  • Like 2

@Obskiuras If the idea is to create a vanilla compatible civ (500BC-1BC), then I would strongly suggest to model this civ on the early Germanic peoples of the Cimbrian War, which was a major conflict that involved the Romans, Gaul and the Iberian Peninsula. Then I would focus specifically on the Cimbri, Teutons, Ambrones and even a splash of Helvetii (Celtic allied forces like the Tigurini). The buildings should then be modeled on the archaeology of the Northern German and Danish Iron Age. See Genava's earlier references, and the references in this thread on Cimbri, Ambrones & Teutons. If it's to be vanilla-compatible, Germanics should be all thatch imo, perhaps one or two plank-roofs, while Gauls can have more wooden shingled roofs to get that opulent Celtic feeling, but Germanics shouldn't feel more opulent than Gauls. Thatch for the Germans and shingles for the Gauls. Maybe the Germans could have a single structure with shingled roof: the "Helvetii Embassy", to train some La Tene Period heavy swordsmen. 

If it doesn't need to be vanilla compatible, then you could easily focus on the later Germanic peoples of the Migration Period. If you want Germanic stone architecture like the one's you referenced, I'd suggest checking out Millenium AD which already features the Carolingians (they also have the Norse). Perhaps they're interested in a Merovingian faction as well? Vandal Kingdom? Gothic Kingdoms? 

By the way, I really like you concept arts... Please continue. 

Edited by Sundiata
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

@Obskiuras If the idea is to create a vanilla compatible civ (500BC-1BC), then I would strongly suggest to model this civ on the early Germanic peoples of the Cimbrian War, which was a major conflict that involved the Romans, Gaul and the Iberian Peninsula. Then I would focus specifically on the Cimbri, Teutons, Ambrones and even a splash of Helvetii (Celtic allied forces like the Tigurini). The buildings should then be modeled on the archaeology of the Northern German and Danish Iron Age. See Genava's earlier references, and the references in this thread on Cimbri, Ambrones & Teutons. If it's to be vanilla-compatible, Germanics should be all thatch imo, while Gauls can have more wooden shingled roofs to get that opulent Celtic feeling, but Germanics shouldn't feel more opulent than Gauls. Thatch for the Germans and shingles for the Gauls. Maybe the Germans could have a single structure with shingled roof: the "Helvetii Embassy", to train some La Tene Period heavy swordsmen. 

If it doesn't need to be vanilla compatible, then you could easily focus on the later Germanic peoples of the Migration Period. If you want Germanic stone architecture like the one's you referenced, I'd suggest checking out Millenium AD which already features the Carolingians (they also have the Norse). Perhaps they're interested in a Merovingian faction as well? Vandal Kingdom? Gothic Kingdoms? 

By the way, I really like you concept arts... Please continue. 

Very well, I will adjust to the historical requirements to design the buildings ( "Thatch for the Germans and shingles for the Gauls" ) and thanks for the support and the reference, i will continue working with the early Germanic peoples!

• Like 1

Suebians = Early Germans representation (think: Teutoburg Forest era, 1st century BC-2nd century AD)

• All thatched roofs
  • We can use these as a basis for a Vanilla-compatible version of the Germans (as Sundiata mentions, Cimbri War era, 2nd century BC), but Delenda Est's version will be Suebians and don't have to conform to Vanilla norms.
  • Lighter Cavalry, lighter armor, emphasis on melee combat

Goths = Late Germans (migration period, Western settlement, Hunnic Wars, 3rd to 6th century) representation

• Visigoths and Ostrogoths, either a split at the beginning (similar in style to Hyrule Conquest) or at City Phase (like AOM).
  • More shingle roofs. More use of stone.
  • Heavier Cavalry, More Armor, More Archery

• Like 2

14 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Goths = Late Germans (migration period, Western settlement, Hunnic Wars, 3rd to 6th century) representation

Ok, so we could include some late architecture for this faction, notably as last phase buildings.

https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/01/29/inenglish/1548751265_273108.html

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/antiquity/article/reccopolis-revealed-the-first-geomagnetic-mapping-of-the-early-medieval-visigothic-royal-town/77961BE80B56E7F85F06F516B0E8C4C9/core-reader

• Like 1

This kind of architecture could be perfect for later Germans like the Goths:

On 8/11/2019 at 10:04 PM, Obskiuras said:

Can be usable

de126176b1665c850cf549a43dc23a01.png

On 8/5/2019 at 5:22 PM, Obskiuras said:

germanic.jpg

While for the Early Germans like the Suebians, an example for the houses:

image.png.cf65f4dfa8ae8ca6cecbfb33ffd4bf46.png

Idea for a fortress:

image.thumb.png.adbaab8435628fb14b44c7f6d1144371.png

Edited by Genava55