Is alpha 24 coming soon?

Adeimantos

3 hours ago, elexis said:

It's sad to see people decide to try to make Wildfire Games obsolete. I would have wished to continue to cooperate together,

One member was literally banned from this place a year (ish) ago -.-

8 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Nonetheless, it would be nice to have regular (e.g. monthly) updates, to give a glimpse of what's going on; they don't have to be complete, nor long; even one or two sentences would suffice. Currently the last post on https://play0ad.com/ was February 1.

Ok since my exams are finaly over and since https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Alpha24 is updated, I will try write something official as a news.

• Like 2

@elexis using percentage points was maybe not a good idea. I would be sufficient to say work in progress, on hold, not started or done. The main idea is, that community members can see where progress is being done. Where things are on hold or not started you could maybe mention the reason why. Maybe somebody is reading the update, reads that some task is on hold., because of some person left. Then another person can decide to jump in, either because the person has the necessary skills or is willing to learn new skills to be able to help.

In general, it would be interesting to get some information as somebody who cares about the game, but does not have the time to be constantly involved. @Nescio is right it would be nice to get updates once in a while.

The 0 A.D. team is doing a lot of good work. However, as a community member it is hard to follow every detail. There is so much going on. Getting a summary about the progress once in a while, makes it easy to stay engaged. 

@asterix yes, please write something. I pointed out, you can mention if particular tasks need help and how an interested person can help.

For inspiration. The team behind Servo, the Parallel Browser Engine Project are really good in sharing regular updates on their blog. They do weekly updates. That is maybe a little bit too often for 0 A.D., but maybe monthly updates or updates in every two to three months?

Edited by balduin
Improvement and clarification

26 minutes ago, (-_-) said:

One member was literally banned from this place a year (ish) ago -.-

No. One previous member was banned. Argue with the decision if you want, but don't present it as something else than it was. There's quite a difference between closing a door after someone who has left and pushing someone who wants to stay out.

They have closed the door to me sometimes but I reopen it and they let me participate. (my feeling)

That's because I'm volunteer and a contributor.

Mods, everything.

Don't be discouraged. This is going to sound cliché, break your limits.
There is always something new to learn Smiley you have talent.

If not, you would not have good ideas.

9 minutes ago, Adeimantos said:

I wish we could make one version the standard one so I could build mods without worrying that they may be obsolete in a few months.

A24 probably is going to take a while to appear (as mentioned in this thread), and even if it is released the breaking changes in the mods probably won't be so huge.

24 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

These aren't in yet are they? 

I'm not touch the game since borg's mods and SVN since your mining changes in DE. I'm waiting several things,

Spoiler

one my back will return to normal state. Its hurts.

image.jpeg.b49beb34bdbec361499a305446625f27.jpeg

2- The other thing is the bugs after recent changes I need before update my  svn be sure I don't need any build.

But the answer I expect those for A24.

On 7/8/2019 at 3:37 PM, elexis said:

To answer the question, a lot of the alpha 24 work is in private github branches of different Wildfire Games members for the reason fatherbushido has posted. It's sad to see people decide to try to make Wildfire Games obsolete. I would have wished to continue to cooperate together, but Wildfire Games has a 20 year history, has created this very software and the online platforms and to me this is a value byitself to maintain rather than to actively help tear down. So I have to support Wildfire Games and 0 A.D. at the pice that I will have to pay for that.

As my name is mentioned here, I permit myself to precise things to not mislead people.

Fork AD is exactly saving those 20 years history. Who is closer of the 2000's team? neither current WFG team, nor fork AD team. The more obvious difference is that WFG is linked to SPI and some previous/current donation handled in that context.

So it's a matter of choice (and choice leads to freedom): Gredzinger vs Captain Harlock.

PS: I'll stop the discussion here as it's already offtopic, if one wants the last word, I let it to him.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, fatherbushido said:

That happened for 0 A.D. too (and everything is private before becoming public).

True, there is nothing wrong with that, there can be good reasons to work privately, nor does one have to go public.

However, for the uninformed public, that privateness is probably the primary difference between these projects.

• Like 1

> "actively help tear down"

How? An independent group developing  a fork is doing that?

I don't speak for others, but I needed map generation to not take an eternity. (which involves more research than anything else, and I am not willing to undertake such a large task for that to be stuck in the queue nobody gives a sh*t about.)

Also, to avoid generalizing that earlier quote to all members who may or may not feel that way,

> "<smiley`>    screw wfg"