===[COMMITTED]=== Animations

Alexandermb

Just now, Lion.Kanzen said:

No influirá en la position de la unidad?   imagínate atravesando una pared o una empalizada.

Probablemente si llegase a usarse a melee, pero esto se evita facilmente dandole un rango de ataque minimo. Si llegaramos a tener ataque secundario deberia ser usado obligatorio con el ammo de angen restringiendolo a 2 en romanos y 3 jabalinas en thureoforos.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hidan said:

Hi @Alexandermb :) , if i played ptol or sele, i noticed thureophori spearmen have no phalax animation yet. if u would plan to implante it, here are some pics about rome 2 phalanx :

Thx for read my post. greetings Hidan :D

Interesting, they look like phalanx but they use the shield in a lower position about the chest and belly.

• Alexandermb changed the title to ===[COMMITTED]=== Animations

I do believe those long lances were held with 2 hands, also need to be held close to the body, they'd have a fair bit of inertia to them in the galloping cycle, and would be bouncing all over the place otherwise

but good! your older animations are starting to pale in comparison to your new ones I have to say

• Like 4

I would actually contend with the idea of that that type of lance would require a two hand grip.  All of the images you posted lack one critical detail, the massive counterweight.  Also, none of those seem to be from the successor kingdoms.  Furthermore,  the Alexander Mosaic clearly shows Alexander holding a lance of comparable length with one hand.  That work is considered to have been a copy of a Hellenistic painting, making a valid piece of contemporary evidence for that kind of fighting style.

• Like 1

Just now, Genava55 said:

Moreover, without saddle and stirrups, it is impossible to transmit the whole kinetic energy of the horse and the man with the lance without being projected during the contact.

Didn't stop them from doing it. Riding without saddle and stirrups is an art in its own right, but it can and has been mastered. They wouldn't have been able to transmit as much energy as knights in a medieval jousting tournament, but they were still more than capable of killing you were you stand.  

But yeah, I don't think they would have used both hands in all cases.

I was referring mostly to a Roman description of Parthian cavalry equipped with the kontos, a two handed lance in excess of 4 meters.

Just now, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

Furthermore,  the Alexander Mosaic clearly shows Alexander holding a lance of comparable length with one hand.

maybe I should have shared this piece of a one handed lance

main-qimg-363c6bf6fde091d59bef18042072bf25.thumb.jpeg.0cf5956795e3181b5d440fda77f8c081.jpeg

But I was trying to help illustrate the use of 2 handed lances. 

Obviously they didn't use the sarissa on a horseback. I just thought that was just a placeholder. 

59 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Didn't stop them from doing it. Riding without saddle and stirrups is an art in its own right, but it can and has been mastered. They wouldn't have been able to transmit as much energy as knights in a medieval jousting tournament, but they were still more than capable of killing you were you stand.  

Clearly, they still have enough power to thrust deeply their enemies. They simply cannot use the whole momentum, they needed to be a little loose on the hit to not lose their weapon or to be unhorsed. This is why I reacted to the animation of a hetairos holding the lance like a knight would, with a very strong grip.

Btw, a depiction here of a possible strike during a charge:

image.png.3c648cafc95395d81619377803a9a97a.png

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Adjusting the actors and props found why i had to do trader hair separated from cavalry hair at first place, and found a solution so now we will have less actors needed for horses and will be possible to have different movement animations whitout duplicating props.

Man, you should really write a blog about this. I'd read the shirt out of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Man, you should really write a blog about this. I'd read the shirt out of it.

Well, im actually ignorant on the variants too because i just move a bit the variants until i found the proper order and naming tag to match with the actors in atlas.

for example in this case:

First when i've updated the actors in the 2nd horse update all mane and tails were unsyc because the movement of the cavalry was overwritting the trader movement. This first happend because of the base_horse_mount variant using "walk" tag so trader horse variant was using is own "walk" animation too but also being a children of horse mount so MountVariant > TraderVariant overwrited.

So i've removed the horse mount movement animation and placed it on each variant making also the "fast" using pace animation instead of troting.

This means that we can't make X variant have a different movement animation being X a children of Y wich also has a movement animation. So X doesn't overwrite Y, X isn't being taken into account.

So we can make a guide for variant makings following this order:

X: Generic animations that doesn't require to be different. IE: Death. Idles if they are generic.
Y: Specific Animations that are different per actor IE: Walk, Attack, Idles if they are like new infantry idles.

Second problem was my variants being separated by a group each one of them:

Before:

Spoiler

image.png

After:

Spoiler

image.png

Playing around with the time i have been animating and looking for a smoother animations got this 3 for cavalry attacking:

Frame lenght are 40 for the 3 animations.

Doing cavalry attacking animations is quite hard because every reference is a combat in movemente, there is not a lot of stationary figthing animations like it is in RTS games like AoE, Empire Earth, Even Warcraft 3 Reforged but they went too lazy with cavalry and only added 1 attacking animation.

At least this have more movement for a battlefield showing a more scared or lets call it a more reaction-like horse compared to the actual attacking wich is good in some animations and bad in others.

Note; Spear is just for reference, two handed attacking animations haven't been done yet.

• Like 5