Extra units references

Some crazy artwork for Total War II by Mariusz Kozik

https://www.artstation.com/lacedemon

Aurelian, conquest of the Palmyrene Empire

mariusz-kozik-final-aurelian-fin-00-copyright.thumb.jpg.c9d964d4c0fb148d9f30adb3f29e7f5a.jpg

Auxiliary vs Dacian

mariusz-kozik-auxiliary-vs-dacian.thumb.jpg.3f2e5f68375e09376c8ae68f69f74dfa.jpg

Cataphract

mariusz-kozik-cataphract-final-03.thumb.jpg.47cd2528ac99782ead10adc08237c991.jpg

Camel cataphract

mariusz-kozik-camels-cataphract.thumb.jpg.8938cbb0f47389abc22ffb199c3be41f.jpg

Spartans

mariusz-kozik-spartan.thumb.jpg.7309c9d499b3546f33db96415573b117.jpg

mariusz-kozik-spartansformation9m.thumb.jpg.5a3bc7b60ebde35a98142e12b85718a5.jpg

Peloponnesian War

mariusz-kozik-peloponez-zr-03.thumb.jpg.1c9e54fc1f0e46bd74040b8c29b42242.jpg

Hannibal at the gates

mariusz-kozik-hannibal-e-04.thumb.jpg.ab0379cfe59ff2d80aa407b33e1f38c8.jpg

Rise of the Republic

mariusz-kozik-furiusz-sk-g-001.thumb.jpg.900f76f63cfc6206a62a693788e1ad5c.jpg

Siege of Carthage

948761368_mariusz-kozik-Siegeofcarthage-scipioafricanuspanorama-final-scypio-druk.thumb.jpg.d75f1b68b7bd4624be85738014e76be8.jpg

Caesar in Gaul

mariusz-kozik-caesar-in-gaul-final-alter-my.thumb.jpg.96f1f737d2ca20bd7533a70128d806d7.jpg

Vercingetorix 

mariusz-kozik-vercyngetorix.thumb.jpg.e2854e682d7217935bb1098655251e50.jpg

Battle of Colchester

mariusz-kozik-romevsbrit-claudius-battle-of-colchester-001.thumb.jpg.f9e122df4a0be8420949fbe149208e49.jpg

The Huns!

mariusz-kozik-huns-cavalry.thumb.jpg.8f2181c9683c48cf103d917e977df156.jpg

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

What do you think is so inaccurate about these pieces? Just curious... 

Overrepresentation of the Corinthian helmets during the Peloponnesian war. An aquilifer with a masked helmet during the last Punic War. Vercingetorix wearing a scabbard and a helmet type from the 4th and 3rd centuries BC. The Britons nonexistent helmet on the right and a shield boss already outdated for the 1st century AD. Julius Caesar and Roman officers like Peplum movies clichés.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

(Seleucid)

Median cavalry 

The Median people were once the rulers of an expansive kingdom spanning central Persia to Asia Minor, seizing the opportunity to create a unified Median state after the collapse of the Neo-Assyrian Empire in 605BC. The Median Kingdom endured until 505BC when the Persian king Cyrus the Great conquered its lands and formed the Achaemenid Empire. Under the Achaemenids, the Median people were considered prestige citizens, with equal status to their Persian kin. They held power as government officials, generals and as 'satraps' or governors. In battle, the Medes were known for the extraordinary agility of their horsemen, which they used against the crumbling Assyrian Empire, outmatching their enemy's skilled cavalry with superior mounted archers.

VVEbU59.jpg

Median Cavalry

pQ362Ee.png

The pragmatic vision of Alexandros for Barbarian and Greek to fight side by side has not diminished in the least since the conqueror's death. The Seleukids, Baktrians and various satrapies make widespread use of these Median cavalrymen to augment their mounted contingents. Heirs to the lesser Persian aristocracy of old, the Aswar i Mad are fully part of the trend away from the lighter skirmishing of Achaemenid times and towards a greater emphasis on shock action. The cavalryman's spear constitutes their primary armament, supported by an array of personal sidearms from the kopis sword to tabar axe. Thrust overhand, the spear is suitable in individual combat to parry and fence rather than charge home as one would with the kontos. Wisdom has overridden the earlier Iranian disdain for the helmet, with many opting to wear one beneath their kyrbasia and the rare cavalryman opting for a helmet by itself. As expected of a conservative aristocracy the classic Iranian fashion of loose, richly embroidered trousers and a long-sleeved tunic with leather belt are the norm. For bodily protection the affluent opt for a tube and yoke cuirass of scale, those of less prosperity make do with quilted corselets with or without pteruges, and the poorest nobles suffice on speed and skill alone. The horse has a stuffed Persian saddle and thick, brightly coloured saddle cloth. The tails were tied up to prevent it being grabbed by the enemy. The forelock was left long and tired with ribbon to form a plume above the head.

Historically, the Makedonians came to Persia as invaders, sharing neither a common culture nor a common enemy. These lesser nobles were quick to make cause with any rebel, and the Greek upper class knew this full well. The Seleukids, and those Baktrians intent on Hellenising Iran, could not rely on these descendants of the Huvaka, kinsmen cavalry who had faced Alexander the Great during late imperial times. It is for this reason that the Greeks often preferred to rely on mercenaries and Greek settlers, but these Median warriors could still be used in some roles and were conscripted in times of need. Some of these minor noble houses intermarried with their Makedonian overlords and were thus somewhat more loyal than their neighbours might be. Yet pragmatism could override the motivations of ideology and pride, and hard coin or power politics gave these Iranians reason to align with the Hellenistic rulers. Still, they were often present in native revolts, due to the fact that they were often capable of leading these, and had fewer opportunities due to their Iranian blood.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

kIkUDTr.png

188. ROMAN ANTI-ELEPHANT WAGON, 279 BC

300 of these curious devices were, according to Dionysios of Halikarnassos, used by Rome against Pyrrhos’
elephants at Asculum. They were four-wheeled ox-drawn wagons (the reconstruction is based on a relief of a solid-
wheeled Italian farm cart) with wattle screens to protect the crew. They were fitted with upright poles, to which
were attached mobile horizontal beams which could be swung in any direction. The beams were fitted with
“tridents or swordlike spikes or scythes all of iron”, while some had grapnels wrapped in pitch-daubed tow. These
would be set on fire and swung at the elephants’ trunks and faces. In addition, the wagons were manned by archers,
slingers “shooting iron caltrops” and stone-throwers.

There are two accounts of their performance in battle. Dionysios says they initially stopped the elephants’ charge,
but were then shot at with javelins by the elephant crews and overwhelmed by supporting light infantry, who cut
through the wattle screens to get at the crew and hamstrung the oxen; the wagon crews then took flight. Zonaras
however says the wagons were never engaged, because the elephants attacked at the other end of the battlefield —
the wagons no doubt being too clumsy to redeploy. As Asculum was a two-day battle, both stories may be correct,
each referring to one day of the battle. The wagons’ very existence has been doubted, as the invention of later
Roman annalists; but they are described as such a dismal failure that they hardly reflect well on Rome, and serve no
Roman propaganda purpose. They probably represent a real and ingenious, though ultimately unsuccessful,
attempt to deal with a military probtem new to Rome.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
39 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

@wackyserious

Sometimes people ask for certain units like roman archers auxilia (Cretans).

Or roman slingers.

These units are either for mods or for campaigns.

I kinda tied my own hands with adding more units in Atlas that are not currently used by any faction in a normal match.

Romans do have a lot of campaign units at the moment that are not in use.

What is the current stand with this @Stan`?

8 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

The Punic War Veteran champion unit for Carthage is also another suggestion

we could create a list with Macedonia since, it is the faction, that already have a campaign in   development.

Egypt too.

Even large if we take "old Egypt" (New Kingdom) under Persian rule.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

19 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

we could create a list with Macedonia since, it is the faction, that already have a campaign in   development.

Egypt too.

Even large if we take "old Egypt" (New Kingdom) under Persian rule.

We can start the list here if the campaign requires a certain unit, who's developing the campaign?

• 3 weeks later...

@wackyserious The guy who is doing the Macedonian campaign answered me.

Is the following:

"Some of the missions definitely deal with tribes that are not in the game, like Thracians, the Gatae, Illyrians, various tribes throughout the Persian empire, etc. Probably not worth investing that much work though. A small step would be to add some units that cannot be built by anyone but I could still script to spawn or place initially that represent non-playable civilizations in the region."

20 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

@wackyserious The guy who is doing the Macedonian campaign answered me.

Is the following:

"Some of the missions definitely deal with tribes that are not in the game, like Thracians, the Gatae, Illyrians, various tribes throughout the Persian empire, etc. Probably not worth investing that much work though. A small step would be to add some units that cannot be built by anyone but I could still script to spawn or place initially that represent non-playable civilizations in the region."

Getae horsemen could be added, I guess, Illyrian raider too, maybe? I think there are Thracian units already in the game

12 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Getae horsemen could be added, I guess, Illyrian raider too, maybe? I think there are Thracian units already in the game

@Lopess said  in the mods we have enough units to supply any shortage with these military forces.

I'll need to see what our campaign designer needs.

We need Ethnic Persian units. Vassals from Satrapies. Like Sogdian, Phrygian, Hyrcanian, Phoenicians, Babylonian.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

@Lopess said  in the mods we have enough units to supply any shortage with these military forces.

I'll need to see what our campaign designer needs.

We need Ethnic Persian units. Vassals from Satrapies. Like Sogdian, Phrygian, Hyrcanian, Phoenicians, Babylonian.

Units Illyrians => https://github.com/0ADMods/illyrians , They are a little outdated, but just put the current addresses of the helmets. (I miss bigger mods with multiple civs, they are easier to support in a group).