Champions vs Unique Units

Although champions have high combat utility and a lack of resource gathering and construction ability to differentiate them from citizen-soldiers, they feel boring since they are basically just the unit design of old school rts and nothing more.  I'm not saying that those characteristics are bad; they just are stale without anything else at play.  If we compare them to the unique units of Age of Empires II, there is a stark contrast.  Every unique unit in that game has a nuanced function even if they are heavily based on a preexisting unit.  

The argument I mainly wish to make is that 0 A.D. and affiliated mods should take a similar approach in the available champions.  As they currently are, players only take them in my opinion because they are typically the most efficient unit in terms of combat and nothing more.  I'm not saying that there aren't some that follow this line of reasoning; the Iberian champion cavalry are a good example of a cool design.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

Although champions have high combat utility and a lack of resource gathering and construction ability to differentiate them from citizen-soldiers, they feel boring since they are basically just the unit design of old school rts and nothing more.  I'm not saying that those characteristics are bad; they just are stale without anything else at play.  If we compare them to the unique units of Age of Empires II, there is a stark contrast.  Every unique unit in that game has a nuanced function even if they are heavily based on a preexisting unit.  

The argument I mainly wish to make is that 0 A.D. and affiliated mods should take a similar approach in the available champions.  As they currently are, players only take them in my opinion because they are typically the most efficient unit in terms of combat and nothing more.  I'm not saying that there aren't some that follow this line of reasoning; the Iberian champion cavalry are a good example of a cool design.

Originally, Champions were supposed to have special abilities, like weapon switching and stuff like that. In DE, not sure about core game, Spartiates have a 10% attack bonus vs. non-Greek units. Also, 2 Spartiates can be upgraded to Olympian Champion status, costing Glory and Metal. Mauryan Maiden Archers can switch between arrows, fire arrows (both cost a small amount of wood), and sword (a small amount of metal). 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

The mentioned aspects are good, but I think that we could definitely think more out-of-the-box.  For instance immortals were known to be constantly at the number of ten thousand because the empire always reinforced them to that number.  I think that it would be neat to have an ability to promote an ordinary citizen soldier or archer to being an immortal at a cost based on the experience of that unit.  It likewise would be cool if Spartiates were available in the village or even the town phase to open up new offensive and defensive purposes for the unit; after all it's weird to have the male citizens only present at the late phase of the game.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

The mentioned aspects are good, but I think that we could definitely think more out-of-the-box.  For instance immortals were known to be constantly at the number of ten thousand because the empire always reinforced them to that number.  I think that it would be neat to have an ability to promote an ordinary citizen soldier or archer to being an immortal at a cost based on the experience of that unit.  It likewise would be cool if Spartiates were available in the village or even the town phase to open up new offensive and defensive purposes for the unit; after all it's weird to have the male citizens only present at the late phase of the game.  

If we had battalions, the Immortals, aka Anusiya, battalion could have a feature where they have soldiers get replaced for free, even during combat, at some specified rate (other battalions have to be idle and within range of a barracks to receive replacements). Along with a weapon switching ability (from spear to bow). Weapon switching would be a lot easier to manage if you only have 30 battalions instead of 300 individual soldiers. Persian Archer battalions could have the Shield Wall formation where they setup rows of spara shields for extra defense. 

But regarding Spartiates, in DE the Spartan player starts with 1 Spartiate as their special starting unit. Then you can train more in Town Phase (but limited), and then an unlimited number later. They're super strong when fully upgraded. If we had battalions I'd change this a little bit. Maybe give them an Ephor ("Magistrate") special starting unit or something, then allow them to train 1 battalion of Spartiates in Town Phase, 5 in City Phase, and 10 in Empire phase. They'd have the Phalanx/Locked Shields formation. Individual soldiers within the battalion would switch to sword if attacked from behind (pike battalions would act similarly).

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

If we had battalions, the Immortals, aka Anusiya, battalion could have a feature where they have soldiers get replaced for free, even during combat, at some specified rate (other battalions have to be idle and within range of a barracks to receive replacements). Along with a weapon switching ability (from spear to bow). Weapon switching would be a lot easier to manage if you only have 30 battalions instead of 300 individual soldiers. Persian Archer battalions could have the Shield Wall formation where they setup rows of spara shields for extra defense. 

But regarding Spartiates, in DE the Spartan player starts with 1 Spartiate as their special starting unit. Then you can train more in Town Phase (but limited), and then an unlimited number later. They're super strong when fully upgraded. If we had battalions I'd change this a little bit. Maybe give them an Ephor ("Magistrate") special starting unit or something, then allow them to train 1 battalion of Spartiates in Town Phase, 5 in City Phase, and 10 in Empire phase. They'd have the Phalanx/Locked Shields formation. Individual soldiers within the battalion would switch to sword if attacked from behind (pike battalions would act similarly).

question? how will be work the bonus of combat in battalions vs without formations or battlalion  grouping ?

2 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

wrong topic, lol.

Abilities are relevant to make unique units instead of regular units with just better stats (champions)

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D281

"would include self-destruct, damage around yourself, all the current cheats, transforming entities into other entities, activating spells, locking/unlocking gates, choosing seeds for farms, mounting/dismounting"

Weapon switch is one of the example in the given patch.

17 hours ago, wraitii said:

I think special attacks should rather be handled by allowing multiple attacks.

Abilities I'll get back to someday I guess. I've had new ideas.

Now this is offtopic, how it's going with pathfinding upgrade? D13 it's near?

I don't know nothing about design and programming, but for me it makes sense that:

Switching weapon (or others stats) - ability

Active and passive special attack - ability

Multiple attacks - turret component thing? (Tank) / proper multiple attack component

• Like 1