How to be productive?

I work, but not too long, come home tired, and want to do something. Programming, art, anything. I get stuck, hit a roadblock. And I just don't commit to much at all. As such, I haven't improved my skills much in years. I have a hundred abandoned projects. I can't get out of bed, what the heck

How do y'all stay   p r o d u c t i v e   ?

• Like 2

@__najimakimoda

Everyone is different on how they keep themselves productive, but here are some tips I found to help remain productive.

(1) Set small daily goals. I try to set a goal to make an object(mesh) or texture a day.

(2) Don't rush your project. Rushing can lead to fatigue which can also lead to dropping your project.

(3) Start projects that you are interested in. Working on projects that you like can give a boost in your productivity. 

(4) Listen to music to help stimulate your creativity.   

Hope these helped :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, Bigtiger said:

(1) Set small daily goals. I try to set a goal to make an object(mesh) or texture a day.

I have a suspicion that this is my big issue. I either don't do this, or when I do I set goals too ambiguous and vague [1].

It's not always cut and dry is my big problem. In your specific case, you break up your goal by making at least one texture a day. I'm trying to make a website for myself (I've done webdev and have started at least 7 personal websites over the past 5 years), but I'm completely lost on how to break it into manageable parts. When I decide "I only really want a very simple single-page site so I might as well just start working away!", I become overwhelmed with stress and lack of direction, as an example. It's crazy how something so simple becomes so... heavy 

Thanks for the insight :) lots to consider

[1] https://youtu.be/LO1mTELoj6o

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 5:01 AM, __najimakimoda said:

With the smell of a rotting apple.

Well, not me personally, I believe that was Ibsen. But if the things that help other people don't work for you, you still might find your personal approach/method. ;)

On 5/17/2019 at 5:01 AM, __najimakimoda said:

I work, but not too long, come home tired, and want to do something. Programming, art, anything. I get stuck, hit a roadblock. And I just don't commit to much at all. As such, I haven't improved my skills much in years. I have a hundred abandoned projects. I can't get out of bed, what the heck

cut off sugar, sweets, they make you lazy af

eat more meat

buy coffeine pills and take them daily

start exercising in home

listen to music 24/7 when in home for dopamine increase, unless youre reading something eg reading complex stuff about programming

work on your projects while listening to music

cut off socialmedia, youtube,reddit,forums,games, TV, xbox, every pleasure form. if u dont cut it in 100% it may be hard to stay on track

what u want to achieve?

i cant be productive unless i believe in my aim. i wont learn a language unless i want to code an interesting application that will make ton of money and bring me fame in my belief.

mindlessly creating simple things like calculators make no sense because you will give up sooner or later due to boredoom and zero satisfaction. You need idea for application/product, then choose correct means/programming language/anything with certain criteria,then do it

• Like 2

On 5/19/2019 at 5:31 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

my sleep time.

Living in the Far eastern side of the World, whenever I am here, I could only spot those who tend to do an all-nighter. :)

On 5/17/2019 at 11:01 AM, __najimakimoda said:

I tend to slack once in a while and get lost in a state of unimaginable stagnation haha, sometimes it just take a couple of days, worst it could happen for a month or two, or even more. But I make sure that I return and visit my motivation graveyard/attic, remove the dust on my old projects which I have left behind and work on them again. :)

Going outside also works for me. A simple walk or jog in the morning or a night out with some friends. I tend to get more stressed when i overwork myself, not sure if this also apply to others. This is why I always motivate people to not overwork themselves and enjoy the different things around them once in a while.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, thankforpie said:

cut off socialmedia, youtube,reddit,forums,games, TV, xbox, every pleasure form. if u dont cut it in 100% it may be hard to stay on track

work, work, work, work, dead.

work, fun, fun, work, fun, dead.

1 minute ago, thankforpie said:

work, work, work, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun, dead.

life.splice(0, life.indexOf("dead")); // TODO: Don't rely on undefined behavior for indexOf dead

• 5 weeks later...