Map Making - Estimating areas

Hi people. I'm developing a new map in Atlas, and it is a full of irregular terrain. I've tried to leave two flat areas for the two players, but I'm trying to make them balanced, more or less the same size. Do you guys have any tricks that you use to estimate if the areas are more or less equal?

My method, placing (and counting) fields lol:

Schermafdruk_2019-05-12_11-56-54.thumb.png.2856697e0c94a6eedac6c2dd6cb0fc20.png

Edited by coworotel
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, elexis said:

There are more indications than individual terrain tiles, groups of 16*16 blocks, and two lines through the center.

That's true. I guess it's up to @coworotel to decide which method is easier for me. Like I said, personally I just eyeball it. I don't feel the need to have each player have the exact same number of tiles in their home area. An approximation is good enough for me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Like I said, personally I just eyeball it. I don't feel the need to have each player have the exact same number of tiles in their home area. An approximation is good enough for me.

@wowgetoffyourcellphone I usually also do that, but in this map the areas have a different shape, so it's harder. But I'm testing playing the map, that works too. :D

18 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I don't feel the need to have each player have the exact same number of tiles in their home area

But you understood that I don't mean that players should count tiles, but take a look at the number of 16*16 groups of tiles that are highlighted differently?

So you can see area one has 5 groups of 16*16 tiles, the other area has about 4 groups. That's how you can get a more precise estimate than mere eyeballing at the same pace, without having to place fields, or playing.

Screenshot from 2019-05-12 12-41-36.png

Edited by elexis
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...