0 A.D lag issue fix idea

rsplayer

I have started playing 0 A.D yesterday and it seems a very good and promising game but I have realised something important slowing down the game and can be fixed.
The number of animals in the game is already big. but thats not the problem. the problem is that when the animals are in the explored area of the map I can see all of them moving and even in the radar. thats mean that all the animals in the explored and not in the visible area are taking place in the GPU and CPU. what it should be happening is that you can make the player see only the animals in the visible area near units or buildings and they can't be seen in the explored or non-explored area of the map just like the player's enemy units.
if you do this, the game performance will be so much better.

I am playing this game on Ubuntu and installed it from Ubuntu Software.

Edited by rsplayer
Ubuntu the best

8 minutes ago, rsplayer said:

I have started playing 0 A.D yesterday and it seems a very good and promising game but I have realised something important slowing down the game and can be fixed.
The number of animals in the game is already big. but thats not the problem. the problem is that when the animals are in the explored area of the map I can see all of them moving and even in the radar. thats mean that all the animals in the explored and not in the visible area are taking place in the GPU and CPU. what it should be happening is that you can make the player see only the animals in the visible area near units or buildings and they can't be seen in the explored or non-explored area of the map just like the player's enemy units.
if you do this, the game performance will be so much better.

Hello and welcome to the forums,

Glad to see you like the game. There are a few reasons the game lag, and those are not one of them :) The absence of threading (multicore support) for the pathfinder, the old OpenGL version, the fact that we are using and outdated version of Spidermonkey, and finally the fact that a lot of optimizations for the pathfinder are yet to be committed are the reason the game slows down when many units are moving :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

If the lag was fixed this game would be as good as the best RTS games out there. As it is I have to stick with smaller and more open map types, which really limits how much I play it. Is progress being made on fixing the lag? Is there anything a modded can do to affect it?

• Like 2

Just now, Adeimantos said:

If the lag was fixed this game would be as good as the best RTS games out there. As it is I have to stick with smaller and more open map types, which really limits how much I play it. Is progress being made on fixing the lag? Is there anything a modded can do to affect it?

Yes there is progress being made. Well not really this is mostly C++ changes which can't be bundled in a mod. Depending on your computer specs though, the new art might slow the game for you.

• Thanks 1

• 4 years later...

There is something going in regular intervals in game that freezes everything, may be some Read Write operations that causes the game to freeze in regular intervals.

I have upgraded my PC but 0AD freeze in regular intervals. it freezes for one second every 3-5 seconds. 

may be if we could fix that one thing that cause the game freeze We can fix lag 50% @Langbart @wraitii@vladislavbelov@Stan`@nani@wowgetoffyourcellphone

Edited by leopard

In another case, could it be possible that I have less RAM? I have 8GB, but when I installed AOE4 and when I start to play, it gives a warning message saying that I have only usable 3.9GB ram and if I open any other application game will stop responding, I bought a new RAM with more memory assuming lack of RAM is the reason! I am waiting of it to reach home. Let's see if that will fix.