Or a leave/retire vs. enter military service transform button? Too much micro though.

Leave service: +gain 50% resources used (wood + metal)

• Transform unit to an economic unit

Enter service: Resource cost for military unit (wood + metal)

• Transform unit to various types of military unit depending on choice.

Again, interesting but might be to much micro for some players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wackyserious said:

Again, interesting but might be to much micro for some players.

A "call to arms" button would be cool, which arms your nearby villagers to militia. And then a "back to work" button that turns them back to villagers once the enemy has been repulsed. That would be more of a Delenda Est thing though, since core game doesn't have "Villagers" and DE does.

• Like 6

Another of my idea was to implement the servile class units, where a servus does not cost population but cost food and metal and will require 1 house for 1 servus and a market tech to implement them. (So players could still balance economy and military even in late game, and economic power could depend on the amount of your houses, this could also add an additional importance at keeping houses.

Slave Market Technology (Market) > Slave : 50 Food, 25 metal, 1/1 House train requirement (No pop. count)

• Like 4

Definitely slaves would be a fantastic addition.  Another point to consider is that there could be a freeman class as well, having a hybrid role of fighting and gathering resources, but not being particularly good at either.  The citizen then could be more like a champion but perhaps providing gathering boosts to other units.  

• Like 3

0 a.d. have their first policemen :D

Roman Policemen.

Cant gather resources; Cant promote; Can building; Cost only 60 food and 3secs training time; Trained in cc; Limit of 6 units; Less hack armor than others spearmen; Have aura +5% gather rate for units near, range 12 or 15 (any suggestion for aura name?).

Sem título.png

Edited by borg-
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 6/6/2019 at 12:08 PM, borg- said:

0 a.d. have their first policemen :D

Roman Policemen.

Cant gather resources; Cant promote; Can building; Cost only 60 food and 3secs training time; Trained in cc; Limit of 6 units; Less hack armor than others spearmen; Have aura +5% gather rate for units near, range 12 or 15 (any suggestion for aura name?).

Sem título.png

They're useful because unlike delenda est mod, if you get rid of all your soldiers and military buildings, there's no way to fight or train troops.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/5/2019 at 2:03 AM, wackyserious said:

Also keep them at basic rank and no ranking up for economic units, just add a slight fighting capabilities for them.

I just did this for the Suebi in DE. They have a militia clubman, who slowly loses health, but trains very fast. Now, if only we could have a feature to where they'd only lose health down to a certain percentage like AOE3's militia. 

• Like 2

I personally find 'slowly losing health' is a weird abstraction. AoE3 does this to simulate the temporary nature of militia. But since we have XP, what about slowly losing XP? Militias train fast but with lower attack and defense, and also decreasing XP over time. So if they constantly fighting they would be promoted to regular soldiers. Otherwise they can keep their low health and useful only for defending or put in garrison.

Heck, how about making all citizen soldiers like this too? Not sure about game performance issue or overall gameplay mechanic change though. I'll probably put this in my future mods.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, azayrahmad said:

I personally find 'slowly losing health' is a weird abstraction. AoE3 does this to simulate the temporary nature of militia. But since we have XP, what about slowly losing XP? Militias train fast but with lower attack and defense, and also decreasing XP over time. So if they constantly fighting they would be promoted to regular soldiers. Otherwise they can keep their low health and useful only for defending or put in garrison.

Heck, how about making all citizen soldiers like this too? Not sure about game performance issue or overall gameplay mechanic change though. I'll probably put this in my future mods.

How about they slowly lose attack strength? XP is used for ranking/promotions, so instead just have the militia slowly get worse at fighting. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

How about they slowly lose attack strength? XP is used for ranking/promotions, so instead just have the militia slowly get worse at fighting. 

Yeah that might work even better! Although what happen when the attack strength reaches zero? Would they still be able to attack but causing zero damage? Of course it's possible to put a cap on minimum attack strength somewhere in Component code.

Hello

I find that producing his units in the CC is really a quality in this game ... remove it I would find it sad.
The interest of the barracks lies in the addition of another production line, different types of unlocked units, unlocked techs from the barracks. A building that tank and allows garrison units.

A call to arms would be interesting (but since the barracks, women would be briefly armed). This would also increase the interest of the barracks early in the game.

• Like 1

We don't like to admit it, but this thread shows that "Citizen Soldiers don't make sense for the basic Gameplay".

Problem:
Barracks is intuitively for Military, but the game made it Economy-centered.

Solutions Offered:
borg-'s Mod removes CS from the CC.
DE does the same (or something similar).
Even 0abc did that: Women only in CC.
The Barracks must have a Trick Exp function. - That's my favorite feature in Vox Populi (Garrisoned Units gain Trickle Exp).

Solutions Suggested:
Make CS from the Barracks "Advanced Rank" while CS from the CC "Basic Rank"
Call to Arms
Make the CS visually stand-out as Economy Units at the beginning
Slaves, Workers, etc.
Exp + Rank vs. Work Efficiency will conversely shift depending on what you focus them to do (work or fight).

My Opinion:
Personally, I like all solutions being put forth. I'll just state my favorite ones:

1. CS should be visually Economic at the beginning.
  2. Basic Rank in CC, Advanced Rank in Barracks
  3. Trickle Exp for Units Garrisoned in Barracks
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2019 at 7:26 PM, sphyrth said:

Solutions Suggested:
Make CS from the Barracks "Advanced Rank" while CS from the CC "Basic Rank"
Call to Arms
Make the CS visually stand-out as Economy Units at the beginning
Slaves, Workers, etc.
Exp + Rank vs. Work Efficiency will conversely shift depending on what you focus them to do (work or fight).

I prefer militia class. Women can build or muet build basic military buildings.