Community Maps mod - problems

coworotel

User Jontuo95 commented in mod.io:

the random maps makes the game crash. do you know why?

Another user confirmed to have problems with all random maps of the mod.

I just tried all of them, but only found problems to generate Fert Mountain, and Forest Nothing with size Large (or larger). Does anyone else experienced problems with other random maps in this mod?

Edited by coworotel

3 minutes ago, elexis said:

What problem? When chosing which settings? Crash upon generation? Too many trees?

err.thumb.png.774142fce5efaec202f448ba7af8bd72.png

Above is for Fert Mountain. Tried many different configurations, always happens this.

For Forest Nothing it was a known problem of too many trees. Maybe I should just put a warning to use sizes up to Normal.

• Like 1

Oh I see you added the volcanic island map to github with its new dependencies, that must have caused the error as it conflicts with old code :D. Sorry didn't take that into account, should have told you :( .

@coworotel Next few days will update all the maps so it's compatible.

Edited by nani

57 minutes ago, JonasTuo said:

yeah, this was me who had the problem, i tried the small and tiny map, they work fine, but anything larger then that is unplayable

Hi thank you for replying! Yes I think this problem occurs with this map Forest Nothing only. It's only playable in small sizes indeed, and the A.I. is not good on it. So, two humans on small would be the best setting I think.

• Like 2

(The rejoined player has g_Farms empty, so when the water rises, the non-rejoined players have that field removed but the rejoined player doesn't? Should be fixable by having g_Farms = GetEntitiesByClassor something. Or if it it's a Trigger property then it's serialized)

• Like 2

Some maps crash here too, like Rapa Nui  sometimes, Forest Nothing always. Others are a bit instable like Brigantium.

Scenarii tend to crash, or to show strange behaviours. Byzantium has an absent AI : one just has to stockpile resources, advance ages to set trade then get siege engines and destroy the enemy colonies.

A lot of these maps are most beautiful but sometimes unplayable for a not so skilled player like me, either because they're very small then one doesn't have any "strategic" depth or even space to put houses (Rapa Nui for both reasons, most big city maps for the former reason), and some because the AI seems stronger than usual, like on the original Danubius or Napata maps where the only way to counter AI attacks is to begin with very high resources or more. For example, At The World's End is almost unplayable because you get attacks with war elephants very soon in the game, while there was a version named Before Hysdaspes which was interesting to play, even if it was cramped in some places.

Maps being cramped or with too high elevations (like Brigantium or Obsidio Cyzicus) are difficult to play, even if the idea behind them is very good. That's the case with the Egypt map which isn't part of this mod too. But Egypt is very playable even if cramped and resource-intensive.

A few maps get too many players too. 6-8 players maps aren't my cup of tea.

The best maps when it comes to gameplay are : Northern Islands, Euboea Harvest, Coastline (hard but playable), Jungle Valley (same opinion), Raiders in the Alps, Country Side, Dune (if big), Riverway (if big too) or The Duel (intense map but winnable with tenacity).

Maybe I'm a bad player but these very difficult maps kill the enjoyment while the regular AI is manageable.

Sorry if I may sound a bit harsh. I appreciate a lot the work of mapmakers and thank them for their work since maps and campaigns is what 0AD needs the most urgently IMO, but some maps simply aren't to the level of most stock maps when it comes to balance and design.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback @SolarEagle! This will be very useful to mapmakers (including myself) to improve the maps. I am not selecting maps based on quality on this mod, so the quality of maps will vary greatly, some maps might have taken dozens of hours to make, some maybe were made in 1 or 2 hours. Maybe the most popular maps in this mod might be revised to enter in the main game, if the devs are in favor of that.