we need a WARHAMMER / 40k/ age sigmar mod

Tallestdavid

35 minutes ago, Kertit said:

Im waiting for the next engine update then continue to work on this one ;)

What are you waiting for exactly, ? A24 isn't out of the corner, and if you want to work with the latest version you can download the dev version directly ?

On 4/16/2019 at 11:12 AM, stanislas69 said:

What are you waiting for exactly, ? A24 isn't out of the corner, and if you want to work with the latest version you can download the dev version directly ?

I've heard that there will be a tech that allow terrain to change real time during a game. I would need this to trigger, doing some chaos ground corruption. something better than just a decal linked to buildings.

Also, I must fix few things in my Irl life :/
But I want-need to continue this mod!

28 minutes ago, Kertit said:

I've heard that there will be a tech that allow terrain to change real time during a game. I would need this to trigger, doing some chaos ground corruption. something better than just a decal linked to buildings.

Also, I must fix few things in my Irl life :/
But I want-need to continue this mod!

I don't know if @(-_-) still plans to work on the feature https://code.wildfiregames.com/D1642

You can compile it yourself in the meantime to test things for your mod :)

Honestly, the better question would be “why should we do anything at all?”. Think about it, someone new comes along, doesn’t like the ambiance and wants change. Give me one reason why the already established party should actually do anything about someone else’s problem. Sounds like common sense, but it took a while for me to realize that it is infact the same situation. (This post is not sarcastic, but a genuine thought I had). And no, I am too tired to open Pandora’s Box.

To get back on topic, no I dont have any intentions in that patch. Nor any other to be honest. I have taken a break from  0AD and all related things to focus more on other areas for the time being.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, (-_-) said:

Give me one reason why the already established party should actually do anything about someone else’s problem

Absent problem description results in ambiguosity. So I can only reply with variables instead of values:

1 hour ago, (-_-) said:

Give me one reason why anyone (should|would|might) actually do anything about anything

• WFG is a volunteer organization, community contributors are volunteers too.
  • Volunteers are by definition not obliged to do anything.
  • Volunteers are motivated by a common interest.
  • The purpose of the organization is to further free software for public benefit.
  • Terms of Service and Policies can be enforced by removing the user from the service

Given that WFG doesn't have any mandatory contribution clauses, there is no obligation, only voluntearism.

1 hour ago, (-_-) said:

Give me one reason why the already established party should actually do anything about someone else’s problem

The "establishment" in that sentence changes the meaning of the entire sentence.

I suppose you mean Wildfire Games with "the already established party"?

Does establishment mean the server infrastructure, the playerbase, the 20 years of development history, a market position?

The qualifier "already established party" implies that there is at least one party that is attempting to become "established".

Wildfire Games operates under non-profit principles, which includes the non-rivalry principle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivalry_(economics):

In economics, a good is said to be rivalrous or rival if its consumption by one consumer prevents simultaneous consumption by other consumers,[1] or if consumption by one party reduces the ability of another party to consume it. A good is considered non-rivalrous or non-rival if, for any level of production, the cost of providing it to a marginal (additional) individual is zero

WFG chose copyleft licenses,  publication of as much helpful information as possible, development in the public instead of in darkness, involvement of the community (general public) operating for the community (public benefit) where possible.

In the third revision of the interpretation of this sentence, the sentence is compared against the context:

5 hours ago, (-_-) said:

Maybe when the circumstances change. Don't know. 

5 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Would you mind to elaborate on the circumstances you'd like to see changing ?

2 hours ago, (-_-) said:

The context provides more possibilities of interpretation.

So I can speculate four possible explanations as to what you could have meant with that sentence:

1. Not your obligation to explain yourself to Stan.
  2. Noone can force WFG to review patches, and that's bad.
  3. Not the number of contributions is the problem, but the way people talk and account for each other when they (ever) operate.
  4. Fork AD should compete with Wildfire Games.

Consider Gricean maxims: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative_principle

Maxim of quality

Do not say that for which you lack adequate evidence.[4]

Maxim of quantity

Make your contribution as informative as is required (for the current purposes of the exchange).

Maxim of manner

1. Avoid obscurity of expression.
  2. Avoid ambiguity.
  3. Be brief (avoid unnecessary prolixity).
  4. Be orderly.

(Note to self: we need this in the community guidelines)

The inability to understand the question means I have to disagree with:

2 hours ago, (-_-) said:

Sounds like common sense

If I learnt something in the last two decades whether it's software development, public history or communication, is that a statement is only as qualified as the evidence backing it up ( specifically in theoretic computer science how to phrase problems and deduce a proof for everything from the bottom up). Presumption of self-evidence implies absence of investigation of alternatives and discovery of missing pieces of evidence.

2 hours ago, (-_-) said:

it took a while for me to realize that it is infact the same situation

I guess you mean realize as in becoming aware, but the etymology offers a second interpretation:

To leave on the more positive note:

Still not sure if these circumstances just describe lack of proper reviews and commits.

But the statement as is provides a space where people can construct positive ideas into.

3 hours ago, (-_-) said:

To get back on topic, no I dont have any intentions in that patch. Nor any other too to be honest.

The question was:

6 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Would you mind to elaborate on the circumstances you'd like to see changing ? 

6 hours ago, (-_-) said:

Maybe when the circumstances change

If it was an answer to Stans question, then it would mean that your intention to work on anything 0 A.D. related is the circumstance that might change in the future.

If it's not your intention that is the circumstance that requires change for future contributions to become hypothetical, isn't it 'the already established party' that requires change?

I have expressed three specific circumstances that need change for me to come to terms with development, so I concede that there are many circumstances that impact a volunteers contribution rate that are not elaborated on within few minutes.

6 hours ago, Sundiata said:

346336506_PandorasBox.thumb.jpg.2e2b18b05ca68fceeae6001cafafb001.jpg

Software development is also "a process that once begun generates many complicated problems". Wiktionary defines a problem as:

1. A difficulty that has to be resolved or dealt with.
  2. A question to be answered, schoolwork exercise.
  3. A puzzling circumstance.

That a problem is complicated doesn't mean that a simple solution doesn't exist.

Wikipedia characterizes Pandoras box as:

In modern times an idiom has grown from it meaning "Any source of great and unexpected troubles",[2] or alternatively "A present which seems valuable but which in reality is a curse".[3]

Do users subject to Pandoras Box know that it's a pandoras box in advance? Doesn't that make it expected trouble? Or does that sentence mean that there is an expectation of great trouble but we just don't know in which way it is going to turn out troublesome?

If discussion partners are constructive and share a common objective, such as conveying information, creating different ambiance, or futhering free software, then discussions are constructive and furthering this goal, not a curse.

If the discussion partners are not constructive, then they help by revealing themselves as not interested in the objective of the organization. Thus it is not a curse either.

7 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

I would need this to trigger, doing some chaos ground corruption

I think the terrain can't be modified too often, especially animations will likely be impossible with terrain changes but would be done with visual actors.

But the feature will still be very useful, give rise to new map experiences, as one can construct some more or less sophisticated artistic and gameplay integration of a singular or gradual / periodical terrain changes.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, elexis said:
  • Not your obligation to explain yourself to Stan.
  • Noone can force WFG to review patches, and that's bad.
  • Not the number of contributions is the problem, but the way people talk and account for each other when they (ever) operate.
  • Fork AD should compete with Wildfire Games.

1. I just don’t have anything more to say.

2. Not necessarily bad. That is what the ambiance referred to.

3. I lack the context to say anything.

4. Not necessarily, wfg is free to use the code provided it doesn’t violate licensing. It is better that retired devs are still active and doing something related than not doing anything at all.

Those are my opinions on those points. But this is what I actually meant.

Established party being WFG (or rather active devs) changing the stuff here to accomodate the wishes of someone else (the new guy).