Mines (Stone and Metal)

It would be wise before investing large amounts of time into this system to revise the resource system first.

I.e. check whether resources are necessary or not, if resources should behave differently (i.e. Food being a pop cap element with a fixed income ratio instead of having to build houses etc.).

If everything should stay the way it is the proposed ideas are great of course. The mine shafts look really awesome.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, (-_-) said:

Will probably throw this onto github later so feel free to do whatever you want.

https://gist.github.com/smiley3/001f2fc2dd47eb52ec361ff2ff0e1fb0

Missing the slot entity (The closest template currently in game are the trigger points). And like I said, only  the bare minimum work is done (for starters, it needs to handle a lot more events). Kinda hacky as well.

I might make it into a mod or something eventually. Posting just in case someone else wants to finish that. (I don't have much motivation to do so)

the word machine comes from machina, that means crane or grua in spanish

DErNOCq.jpg

so some props can be

like some water lifter or crane.

Imagen relacionada

Resultado de imagen para machina roman

gVngk3n.jpg

800px-Archscrew2.jpg

Drainage wheel from Rio Tinto mines, in the Sierra Morena mountains of Andalusia, Spain. Ancient Roman mine's drainage technology.

Spoiler

The Romans were the first to exploit mineral deposits using advanced technology, especially the use of aqueducts to bring water from great distances to help operations at the pithead. Their technology is most visible at sites in Britain such as Dolaucothi where they exploited gold deposits with at least 5 long aqueducts tapping adjacent rivers and streams. They used the water to prospect for ore by unleashing a wave of water from a tank to scour away the soil and so reveal the bedrock with any veins exposed to sight. They used the same method (known as hushing) to remove waste rock, and then to quench hot rocks weakened by fire-setting.

Such methods could be very effective in opencast mining, but fire-setting was very dangerous when used in underground workings. They were made redundant with the introduction of explosives, although hydraulic mining is still used on alluvial tin ores. They were also used to produce a controlled supply to wash the crushed ore. It is highly likely that they also developed water-powered stamp mills to crush hard ore, which could be washed to collect the heavy gold dust.

At alluvial mines, they applied their hydraulic mining methods on a vast scale, such as Las Medulas in north-west Spain. Traces of tanks and aqueducts can be found at many other early Roman mines. The methods are described in great detail by Pliny the Elder in his Naturalis Historia.

He also described deep mining underground, and mentions the need to dewater the workings using reverse overshot water-wheels, and actual examples have been found in many Roman mines exposed during later mining attempts. The copper mines at Rio Tinto were one source of such artifacts, where a set of 16 was found in the 1920s. They also used Archimedean screws to remove water in a similar way.

o46piuK.png

Roemerkran.jpg

rhUioB5.jpg

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quarry or Cantera. its different.

Resultado de imagen para roman quarry

The Mediterranean region had abundant supplies of stones, such as marble and limestone, which the ancient Greeks and Romans used for sculpture and the construction of buildings. The Greeks began excavating* these sites in the 700s B.C. as a way to extract the stones. Greek quarrying techniques changed very little over the centuries, and the Romans later adopted these methods to extract stones on a much wider scale.

The Greeks and Romans built quarries wherever there was a valuable source of stone. The Greek colony of Syracuse (on the island of Sicily) had an abundant source of limestone that produced more than 100 million tons of limestone during the ancient period. Marble extracted from quarries on the islands of Paros and Naxos in the Aegean Sea was prized for its special characteristics. Parian marble had a glistening white sheen, and the marble quarried in Naxos was stone gray. Quarries in Spain yielded selenite, a variety of gypsum that was used to make plaster.

Although most quarries consisted of rock formations on the surface of the ground, some stones, such as a special variety of marble at Paros, were extracted by tunneling through the mountains. Quarry workers used hammers and picks to carve deep grooves into the rock. Soft stones were forced out of the rockbed with wooden wedges that had been saturated with water. When the wedges swelled, soft stones, such as tufa, split away from the rock face. Harder stones, such as basalt, required iron wedges that were heated by fire to extract the stone.

Once the stone was extracted from the rockbed, various methods were used to cut the stone. Some stones were cut with a conventional saw, but a more common method involved sand and a strong wire. The pressure of the wire moving back and forth on the sand was enough to cut the stone without leaving any roughness. By the A.D. 300s, waterpower was used to drive large marble-cutting saws. (See also Construction Materials and Techniques.)

* excavate to uncover by digging

https://erenow.net/ancient/ancient-greece-and-rome-an-encyclopedia-for-students-4-volume-set/385.php

• Like 2

On 4/4/2019 at 12:24 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

To take it one step further, with a slotting concept you could add slots to mines whereby you can allow the player to "claim" mines by building storehouses there (and could extend this to a farmland concept where you claim juicy free farms by building a Farmstead on a slot). Like so:

mines1.thumb.jpg.f60c16731d258539646ccf8f49a400d3.jpgmines2.thumb.jpg.ce5173d29ffe452d8c3d73be49b06e94.jpgmines3.thumb.jpg.78856306d6d54c855b17ed492a6eb70e.jpg

This could be a way to allow players to gather these resources outside their territory and provide points of contention outside territory boundaries while providing additional immersion.

Reveal hidden contents

Looks nice,

Would this be an addition to a future update?

And would you be able to move storehouse into a new slot or just period after the mine begins to wear down to cut down on time for travel between resource and storehouse?

On 4/4/2019 at 12:24 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:
On 4/7/2019 at 4:29 PM, LordGood said:

screenshot0034.thumb.jpg.8cdcf4677db33a3a8c86846e4ed6c002.jpg

I reduced max gatherers to 4. Since you have to overlap the quarried objects, the pathing can really only allow about 4 units to gather from the individual blocks without lots of bad bumping into each other and shuttling glitches. These are starting to look really nice.

For cliff ones, I wish they were taller/extended further downward.

•  
  •  

It would also be nice if every hill could be mined into as in like having a mine entrance or something as a build able structure  in like Village or Town Phase.

No one really answered  These questions so I felt i should re-ask.

Edited by JamesWright

8 hours ago, JamesWright said:

•  
  •  

It would also be nice if every hill could be mined into as in like having a mine entrance or something as a build able structure  in like Village or Town Phase.

No one really answered  These questions so I felt i should re-ask.

isn't that simple, because the terrain isn't considerate an entity like the actual mines, the hills are only part of a mesh where units trace or follow their path.

Resultado de imagen para hill mesh 3d

by other hand we haven't cliff yet.

Resultado de imagen para mine gold mesh 3d

we are doing this idea with some limited features.

@stanislas69 can explain this better.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

the hills are only part of a mesh where units trace or follow their path.

I think someone attempted to make the terrain mesh changeable in the simulation side.

---

I always assumed these hills are not part of the terrain grid but models. (the screenshots are way too detailed to be terrain). Which honestly seems to be the way to go.

Edited by Guest

On 4/12/2019 at 4:46 PM, Lion.Kanzen said:

isn't that simple, because the terrain isn't considerate an entity like the actual mines, the hills are only part of a mesh where units trace or follow their path.

Resultado de imagen para hill mesh 3d

by other hand we haven't cliff yet.

Resultado de imagen para mine gold mesh 3d

we are doing this idea with some limited features.

@stanislas69 can explain this better.

Well no like if it was a store house style building that you could build in Village or Town phase. Like it could be a rougher less elegant version of the Athenian gymnasium with a pit in the middle, and a crane of course, and be able to garrison workers inside to gather the resource at 10 of the resource per 10 sec, which as I figure/have counted, is what it takes now, maybe you could have a sparkling effect like already there for metal mines to indicate a place where metal is present maybe even in a slot as @wowgetoffyourcellphone mentioned as where all other places would be stone. This is most likely unreasonable, and I would have designed an example but my creative skills are bad so.....   It's just an idea but yeah.

On 4/5/2019 at 1:30 PM, elexis said:

Depending on the size of the hill necessary to make the mine look more authentic,

• Most maps would have to be significantly reworked in many cases to integrate large hills.
  •  Can we find a visually pleasing model and texture for any existing maptype and biome?
  • Reserving something like 20% more map area for hills will mean either (even) less area for players to build, or require players to play with larger mapsizes (i.e. simulation performance improvements become more important).
  • Gameplay wise, if there are less locations on the map that provide resources, then not capturing and keeping the few points central to resource gathering may be too punishing, snowball the game more easily.
  • Some maps already have hills, but only one or very few. For example Pyrennean Sierra or Jebel Barkal. If only the existing hills can be mined, the maps are either not as playable anymore (lost central hill = lost game) or not playable at all in the other case.
  • Some maps are intended to be entirely plane (Anatolian Plateau).
  •  What about the starting mines at the civic center?

So the screenshot looks good and it should be implemented for all relatable maps, but it doesn't sound like vanilla could use that approach for many if not the majority of maps / map ideas?

Regarding "hills" needed, we can use hills, cliffs, mountains, or simply pits in the terrain -- small depressions in the terrain grid simulating an open quarry. Different maps can use different methods. Doesn't require every map to have lots of hills everywhere. :) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Regarding "hills" needed, we can use hills, cliffs, mountains, or simply pits in the terrain -- small depressions in the terrain grid simulating an open quarry. Different maps can use different methods. Doesn't require every map to have lots of hills everywhere. :) 

either way is an alternative mining to the traditional aoe method.

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

think of it as an innovation or evolution of Age of Empires. That's what 0 A.D. represents at the end of the day.

we must follow this path creating more coherence (logical) and simplistic way. more realistic but logical:  mining , farming , building , kill most of Aoe memes.

Resultado de imagen para aoe memes compilation

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I think it is necessary to distinguish between quarries and gold mines, because one of them is open-pit mining, and the other is collected in a closed environment under the mine. The latter can protect the miners to a certain extent. For example, in The Golden Horde, the workers are stationed in In mines, workers cannot be harmed unless you destroy the mine.