Path of techs to upgrade units

fatherbushido

While reading old irc logs from 2010-2011, I read ideas about having different path of "upgrading" soldiers depending of the civ.

I don't quote but that idea (from "Mythos") was:

for example:

- cart upgrades by ethnicity

- pers upgrades Infantry and Cavalry separately

- greek upgrade by unit type (spearmen, javeliners, ...)

- celt, iber upgrade by weapons (sword, spear, ...)

There are things like that in DE mod and there was also in WFG 0ad before almost all was flatten in the blacksmith.

Let's talk.

• Like 2

I guess it was upgrading the ranks that the C/S are trained, or only the stats?

The first approach it's more AoE like, and you can keep blacksmith tech and create an asymmetrical balance with what tech are available to what civs.

The second one give more flavor and distinction to the civs, but lack the visual upgrades. And also blacksmith tech could be kept

I think keeping blacksmith techs generic and adding more techs to individual training buildings is better. There are too few techs as of  now. And yes, this does imply adding individual unit upgrades/techs too. More AoE like (most rts games tbh). Currently, you pretty much has the same units from Phase 1 to Phase 3. (no one uses champions, just the two starting units are used mostly.)

Another unrelated thing could be not allowing the entire tech tree to all civs. But this needs way more techs to be done in a way which does not ruin balance.

Edited by Guest