===[TASK]=== Trees

LordGood

6 hours ago, LordGood said:

I got a head start on the black pines, could benefit from a few more variations. General purpose tree dump thread

screenshot0054.png

Hey nice work :) How do they look from up close ? We have to take into account that there might be cinematics now 

• Thanks 1

I'm not too worried about it. If anyone's burying their camera into the trees, brushstrokes are going to fall to the wayside for resolution issues. The new growth buds are the only things I see too lacking in detail, unless what you're proposing is a grunge or noise filter over the whole thing?

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

It looks good to me. You want to future proof for 8K VR?

Nah I just want the best for our players :) Though a lot of people asked me about 4K support

3 hours ago, LordGood said:

I'm not too worried about it. If anyone's burying their camera into the trees, brushstrokes are going to fall to the wayside for resolution issues. The new growth buds are the only things I see too lacking in detail, unless what you're proposing is a grunge or noise filter over the whole thing?

Untitdled.png

Yeah maybe so that it looks more 'precise' But anyways who am I kidding, it's awesome and should be committed ASAP. :)

• Like 1

I don't know why everybody keeps using those gawdawful "autumn" terrain textures. lol The trees look good though. I think the shadow baking is a little too dark on some of the textures. I think too that the game's trees should be somewhat larger than they are now, or at least the game should have a greater variety of tree sizes. If only the engine had scaling we wouldn't need a lot of tree models to get size variety.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I don't know why everybody keeps using those gawdawful "autumn" terrain textures.

I dunno if you've noticed, but I like me a waarm palette

Big trees would be real nice, but there's that aforementioned issue of players burying their cameras in the trees. I'd like to have one to two hundred foot trees but that'll impede gameplay too

1 minute ago, LordGood said:

Big trees would be real nice, but there's that aforementioned issue of players burying their cameras in the trees. I'd like to have one to two hundred foot trees but that'll impede gameplay too

Even twice as tall as current trees shouldn't bury the camera. Don't players tend to play zoomed out max anyway?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's a very stupid process where i look at the thing and draw the plant, put in in the engine to see how awful it looks, and then try to make it less awful.

every plant has a different, special, stupid process. The trick to grasses and ground plants seems to be a lightening gradient from base to top to make them stand out and be noticeable on top, but not betray the messy union where the polygons meet the terrain. I'm still figuring things out though

of course you can say to hell with it all with water plants, which is why I'm having fun with water plants.

I'll see if i can make a video or stream or something sometime in the near future

• Like 4

screenshot0090.bmp

On 3/6/2019 at 5:53 AM, LordGood said:

Can we get a closer look, and species? I recognize the prickly pears haha, those forage bushes?

maybe you recognize it because they are from these parts
The species are Palo Verde, Mesquite, and the bushes are from sonora desert and the long tree is a generic Amazon tree

Spoiler

screenshot0088.png.d6dc35cc86118442007c715de6d61635.png

screenshot0089.png.565e21ab7aa0ac931a9f93b99735db27.pngscreenshot0091.png.7244030236bd7ee8c9d84b3486e82ede.pngscreenshot0092.png.5d94a8b400a7a0b072907ccedc5c0dd5.png

I think the most horrible of all is the nopal, but it's because you do not make good textures yet

• Like 1