===[COMMITTED]=== Celtic Shields

Alexandermb

9 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The current DL size of 0 A.D. is not onerous at all.

Well people still paying for internet in MB disagree... I want to make a small launcher for 0AD on windows and or other platforms to only update up till last svn or a specific revision :) A bit like a mmo launcher.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Included gaul carthaginian mercenaries on mod BUT, moved the actors from "Cart" folder to "Gaul" folder if its okay for all, i mean, its unnecesary to have a gaulish actor in carthaginian folder even't if its a mercenary, we should keep consistency with the unit faction/homeland, we never know what the future have for us for that faction or those mercenaries.

Spoiler

image.png

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I guess I don't care either way. I mean, your reasoning is pretty thin (they are units trained by the Carthaginian faction after all; should there be a folder for every single ethnicity found in the game? Maybe, maybe not), but doesn't really affect me much.

mercenary folder for everyone?

If the infantry has "carthaginian" distinctive assets it could be in the "cart" folder, otherwise its a purely gaul citizen wich also is included in genava design document (Two birds in a single shoot). Theres a mod for thracian faction and there is thracian merc too, so that merc's will end being citizen of thracia faction, handling the actors in batch is easier when the whole faction is gathered in a folder instead of spread in "celt - brit - gaul - cart". 

Actors should be included in the factions folder Only if it has faction distinctive assets and history. ie: X slave infantry that never was used as military in his homeland.

4 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

If the infantry has "carthaginian" distinctive assets it could be in the "cart" folder, otherwise its a purely gaul citizen wich also is included in genava design document (Two birds in a single shoot). Theres a mod for thracian faction and there is thracian merc too, so that merc's will end being citizen of thracia faction, handling the actors in batch is easier when the whole faction is gathered in a folder instead of spread in "celt - brit - gaul - cart". 

Actors should be included in the factions folder Only if it has faction distinctive assets and history. ie: X slave infantry that never was used as military in his homeland.

Well, obviously if both templates are using the same Gallic actor then that actor would probably best be situated in the /gauls folder. :) But if it's an actor used exclusively for the Carthaginians I'm not sure if it doesn't make more sense to keep it in the Carthaginians folder. If we say that actors should go into the folder of their ethnicity (I don't necessarily disagree), then you might need more folders. Doesn't seem like a simplification to me. Again, I don't care much, but it seems like a change for sake of change and not some tangible improvement. 

On 4/28/2019 at 2:03 AM, Alexandermb said:

Included gaul carthaginian mercenaries on mod BUT, moved the actors from "Cart" folder to "Gaul" folder if its okay for all, i mean, its unnecesary to have a gaulish actor in carthaginian folder even't if its a mercenary, we should keep consistency with the unit faction/homeland, we never know what the future have for us for that faction or those mercenaries.

Keeping only one version of identical actors makes sense; less duplication. You might want to have a look at Carthage's Iberian mercenaries too; currently it's a bit inconsistent:

simulation/templates/units/ – Actor
cart_cavalry_swordsman_gaul_b.xml – celts/
cart_cavalry_swordsman_iber_b.xml – carthaginians/
cart_infantry_javelinist_iber_b.xml – iberians/
cart_infantry_slinger_iber_b.xml – carthaginians/
cart_infantry_swordsman_gaul_b.xml – carthaginians/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Alexandermb said:

any advice to replace round shields on celtic buildings ?

Another shield is good enough. Both Gauls and Britons have their own shields now, even medium ones.

The others possibilities are symbols painted and wooden figures, animal and human heads, weapons (spears notably) etc. It is up to the artists because nothing is really settled on this matter. There are evidence for painted walls. There are evidences for wooden figures against walls (as in Manching), for human heads and weapons as trophee.  But the context is lacking.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Perhaps an overlay layer for the new shields you guys are making should have some hack damge. 

Something like this (which was used to make other shields in the game):

image.png image.png

These shields you make look awesome, but the wood parts are in pristine condition (and the middle part has damage):

image.png

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Enrique said:

Perhaps an overlay layer for the new shields you guys are making should have some hack damge. 

These shields you make look awesome, but the wood parts are in pristine condition (and the middle part has damage)

I want to add damage to shields but in the procedural materials i wasn't able to get that damaged creases.