Multiplayer in same Network

Guys my friend and I are trying to play multiplayer together. However, if he hosts i can't join him in the lobby. Last year we used the direct IP but now with the new Alpha 23 that's not possible anymore. 

I have a Mac, he has Windows PC. All Ports are opened and also deactivating the firewall didn't help. What can we do? 

Edited by Guest

You should be able to play a public game together by joining a third person's hosted match.

1 hour ago, cloud9 said:

You can host in the lobby and have your friend connect via ip.

edit: unfortunately, it is no longer possible that way. Possible for one to switch to another network?

Is this no longer possible because lobby authentication of players joining has been made mandatory?

I think a simple mod could be made to allow someone to override the ip address the game connects to when they join a lobby match. Then you could host and your friend can use the mod to connect to the game at your local ip address instead of your public ip address.

36 minutes ago, cloud9 said:

Yes.

No. (I developed it, so I know for sure ;))

Edit: After re-reading, I partially have to take that No back: If you want to host a lobbied game and then join via direct connect, that is because of lobby authentication.

It could be dependent on STUN/NAT-Hole Punching. 

Could also be because of your router, some don't allow internal devices accessing another internal device via the routers global IP

On 2/11/2019 at 4:52 PM, user1 said:

You should be able to play a public game together by joining a third person's hosted match.

Is this no longer possible because lobby authentication of players joining has been made mandatory?

I think a simple mod could be made to allow someone to override the ip address the game connects to when they join a lobby match. Then you could host and your friend can use the mod to connect to the game at your local ip address instead of your public ip address.

how can i do that?

On 2/11/2019 at 10:52 AM, user1 said:

Just select a game being hosted by someone else. Both of you join the same match in the lobby then you can play together with other players.