Theopolémos (a mythology mod for 0 ad)

Rolf Dew

Which two factions would you like in the first version of the Mod?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which two factions would you like in the first version of the Mod?

Hello, my native language is Spanish.
I support this project 100%.

I can help with the idea of the mythological game.
I was diagramming in an excel (microsoft) ideas of a game of mythology.
I have already chosen the resources that the mod will have:
food, wood, gold (metal), favor, export (the latter new)
8 factions (Greek-Atlanteans, Nordics, Celts, Vedas [Hindu], Mesoamerican, Chinese, mythology of tribes [Yoruba]). All with the chosen god and its corresponding power and its main mythological unit.
Besides, I had already decided the generation of favor of each civilization and its heroes and its unique human unity.
These 8 factions, are divided into 4 groups:
Where they share by group:
1- system of similar villagers,
2- most important resource (with the objective of developing the civ)
3- units of intermediate ages (I already have them chosen)
I have chosen the building system.

if they want I contribute my excel !!! so they discard my ideas and other ideas are born

The question I ask the developer of the mod is:
The idea is to make a game type Age mythology or one with very good historical base like 0 a.d?
If it is one with a good historical base ... would not all civilizations have similar humanities and the potential of the game will be diminished?

1 hour ago, 22loco said:

Hello, my native language is Spanish.
I support this project 100%.

I can help with the idea of the mythological game.
I was diagramming in an excel (microsoft) ideas of a game of mythology.
I have already chosen the resources that the mod will have:
food, wood, gold (metal), favor, export (the latter new)
8 factions (Greek-Atlanteans, Nordics, Celts, Vedas [Hindu], Mesoamerican, Chinese, mythology of tribes [Yoruba]). All with the chosen god and its corresponding power and its main mythological unit.
Besides, I had already decided the generation of favor of each civilization and its heroes and its unique human unity.
These 8 factions, are divided into 4 groups:
Where they share by group:
1- system of similar villagers,
2- most important resource (with the objective of developing the civ)
3- units of intermediate ages (I already have them chosen)
I have chosen the building system.

if they want I contribute my excel !!! so they discard my ideas and other ideas are born

The question I ask the developer of the mod is:
The idea is to make a game type Age mythology or one with very good historical base like 0 a.d?
If it is one with a good historical base ... would not all civilizations have similar humanities and the potential of the game will be diminished?

Hi! 

I appreciate your feedback! The mod will have a semi-historical focus, with probably an emphasis on fun and playibilty over a purely historical focus. Feel free to discuss with the Dev team on the ideas channel on discord concerning your ideas!

Edited by Rolf Dew

@asterix @Angen @stanislas69 @(-_-)

It seems like the Norse and Athenians are the two most popular factions for the first version!

We just need to decide on apropiate gods, powers/auras and mythical units for them. 

Athenians 

gods : Athena, Poseidon and perhaps Dionysus ?

Norse

gods: Odin, Thor and Loki ? 

Anyone feel free to suggest other gods, God powers and mythical units. 

5 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

If you go for Thor Odin and Loki, you migh as well go for Hades, Zeus,, and Poseidon :)

Yeah I think that sounds good! Take a look at the discord faction section please, perhaps we can think of some appropriate powers, auras and units.

Edited by Rolf Dew

9 hours ago, Rolf Dew said:

It seems like the Norse and Athenians are the two most popular factions for the first version!

We just need to decide on apropiate gods, powers/auras and mythical units for them. 

Athenians 

gods : Athena, Poseidon and perhaps Dionysus ?

Norse

Anyone feel free to suggest other gods, God powers and mythical units. 

8 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

If you go for Thor Odin and Loki, you migh as well go for Hades, Zeus,, and Poseidon :)

8 hours ago, Rolf Dew said:

Yeah I think that sounds good! Take a look at the discord faction section please, perhaps we can think of some appropriate powers, auras and units.

No, I think @Rolf Dew's first suggestion for Athenians is spot on. :)  While "Norse" is a generic faction, "Athenians" is very specific, unlike "Greeks" from the original AOM. For the Athenians, Athena was their patron deity which makes her a prime choice for a Major God. Poseidon gives you a good track for naval benefits, which plays to the Athenian naval tradition (and he was also a part of the Athens founding myth). And Dionysus was the subject of a very important civic festival and cult, but Demeter could be another good choice for the 3rd Major God, because of the cult of the Eleusinian Mysteries being extremely important as well. The Eponymous Heroes could be an interesting choice for an Athenian-centric Minor God choice or God Power (summon a bunch of hero units to a specific spot). The Panathenaic Festival being another interesting idea for a God Power. These things can differentiate them from the Spartans who, although had the same religion per se, worshiped different gods in the pantheon in different ways. :) 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Rolf Dew said:

Norse

Since there have been pleny of games with mythological Gods of the norse faction i would recommend also Baldur, Freya i would like to expand more the norse mythology beyond the basic Gods, you know what i mean "Spread the Word" of the gods :P.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Since there have been pleny of games with mythological Gods of the norse faction i would recommend also Baldur, Freya i would like to expand more the norse mythology beyond the basic Gods, you know what i mean "Spread the Word" of the gods :P.

I believe the standard Age of Mythology god roster is 3 major gods and 9 minor gods per civ, so there's plenty of room to add the gods of your choice.

https://ageofempires.fandom.com/wiki/Norse

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alexandermb said:

Excelent then! 

What happens is that you choose a Major God at the beginning of the match. This determines which Minor Gods you have access to later. At each phase advancement you get to choose a new Minor God to add to your pantheon based on your Major God choice. Each choice unlocks new monsters, technologies, and God Powers specific to that god. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

What happens is that you choose a Major God at the beginning of the match. This determines which Minor Gods you have access to later. At each phase advancement you get to choose a new Minor God to add to your pantheon based on your Major God choice. Each choice unlocks new monsters, technologies, and God Powers specific to that god. 

This is the plan if the minor god concept is possible in 0 ad. In this mod Major Gods give a choice between two unique techs and minor gods only give one unique tech. There might be 6 minor gods due to the 3 phases of 0 ad's civ center. 2 per a major god.

Edited by Rolf Dew

Updated unit list 

Greeks 

Major Gods:

Poseidon 
Myth unit: trojan cetus (100 glory) Chimera (100 glory)
Global Power (tech) increased fishing or armor and damage for all combat ships (King of the oceans) (Fish Harvest) (100 glory)
Hero: Hercules (100 glory) (two hander)

Zeus
Myth unit: Cyclops (100 glory)
Global power (tech): increased armor for combat units or increased damage (Endurance)(Powerful blow) (100 glory)
Hero: Jason (100 glory) (sword and shield)

Hades 
Myth unit: cerberus  (100 glory)
Global power (tech): increased health for combat units or increased mining rate (Strength Training)(slave labor) (100 glory)
Hero: Perseus (100 glory)(short sword)

Minor Gods:

Athena 
Myth unit: medusa (100 glory)
Global power (tech) : hoplite have faster attack speed and slightly more health (Goddess of war) 

Artemis  
Myth unit: Centaur (100 glory)
Global power (tech): increased ranged unit damage  (Master Archer)

Demeter
Myth unit: Scylla (100 glory)
Global power (tech): increased farming rate  (Harvest of the gods)

Dionysus 
Myth Unit: Hydra (100 glory)
Global power (tech): increased trade income (Wine Fit for a God)

Hera
Myth unit: Nemean Lion (100 glory)
Global power (tech): increased armor for cavalry (Queen of Olympus)

Ares
Myth unit: Minotaur (100 glory)
Global power (tech): increased attack rate and movement speed for cavalry units (March to War)

Aphrodite
Myth unit:Satyr (100 glory)
Global power (tech): increased health and slight movement speed increase for villagers (Love Festival)

Hephaestus
Myth unit: Colossus (100 glory)
Global power (tech): increased health for towers but reduced attack rate (Powerful builder)

Apollo
Myth unit: Pegasus (100 glory)
Global power (tech): increased movement speed for all infantry (Speed of a God)

Titan: Polyphemus (giant cyclops) 

Norse

Odin
Myth unit: Nidhogg (100 glory)
Global power (tech): Increased health for ranged units or increased glory rate (mighty warriors)(Sovereign of Asgard) (100 glory)
Hero: Bödvar Bjarki

Thor
Myth unit: Hildisvíni (battle boar) (100 glory)
Global power (tech): increased mining rate or armor increase for all units (Mine Lord) (Master Smith) (100 glory)
Hero: Sigurd

Loki
Myth unit: Jörmungandr (sea serpent) (100 glory)
Global power (tech): faster movement speed for all cavalry or faster movement speed for trade caravans (Forced march)(Speedy traders)(100 glory)
Hero: Starkad

Minor Gods:

Baldur
Myth unit: Einherjar (100 glory)
Global power (tech): increased damage for all melee units  (Bravery) (100 glory)

Freya
Myth unit: Valkyries (100 glory)
Global power (tech): increased health for melee units (Love of the Goddess)(100 glory)

Frigg
Myth unit: Fire giant (100 glory)
Global power (tech): increased line of sight for all buildings and attack range for towers(Foreknowledge of the Goddess)(100 glory)

Ullr
Myth unit: Troll (100 glory)
Global power (tech): increased damage for all ranged units (100 glory)(Divine Archery)

Tyr
Myth unit: Fenrir (wolf) (100 glory)
Global power (tech) : increased armor for melee units and slight damage increase (God of War)(100 glory)

Heimdallr 
Myth unit: Draugr (100 glory)
Global power (tech) : increased damage for towers, but reduced armor (The Watchman)(100 glory)

Forseti
Myth unit: Frost giant (100 glory)
Global power (tech) : increased armor for all walls (Defense is better than Offense)(100 glory)

Njord
Myth unit: Kraken (100 glory)
Global power (tech) : increased health for combat ships (God of the Sea)(100 glory)

Vidar
Myth unit : Giant (100 glory)
Global power (tech) : (increased health for melee units) (Strength of a God) (100 glory)

Titan: Hrungnir (giant) 

Percentages, numbers and costs are still to be decided

Edited by Rolf Dew
Old list please refer to discord or the newest list in the forum

@wackyserious @Sundiata  @stanislas69

what could be the best UV usage for the centaur? for now i'm just thinking on two options.

1. Mix the mesh and make the texture of the human body and the horse as this Reusing actual textures for some as posible:
    Spoiler

image.png

2. Or make as separated mesh but used together as root prop like the rider but the human body and the horse keeping his UV as it is now.

Animations done so far:

Spoiler

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

1. 4 Idle_Relax.
  2. 4 Idle_Ready_Bow
  3. Trot
  4. Gallop
  5. Walk_Relax
  6. Attack_Long
  7. Bow_shoot_Hip/Back
  • Promotion

In case someone wonder, horse armors can be used as long as they are exported again with the centaur armature:
    Spoiler

image.png

• Like 2

i have a few questions since the centaur is pretty much done.

What are the centaur behavior you have in mind?
What are the props they will use?
What would be the weapons they use?
What would be their default walking animation?
What would be their class (Champ - Citizen Soldier)?
Would the centaurs have experience and level up?
Would the centaurs use special weapons?

For now i have ready animations for basic weapons such as: Bow, Javelin, Spear 1H.

2 Death animation
2 Walking animation (Ready - Relax)
1 Trot animation Generic
1 Jog animation
1 Gallop animation generic
1 Promotion animation
1 Pray animation
13 Idle animation ( Ready Bow, Ready Jav, Ready Hoplite, Ready Spear Shield, Relax, Carry Meat)
1 Attacking stab animation with shield
1 Attacking Jav animation
2 Attacking Bow animation (Hip, Back)

TODO:
More attacking animation for spear shield
Attacking animation for sword and axe
Attacking animation for 2h Weapons
Carry animations for Wood, Stone/Metal, Berrys
Seeding animations.

• Like 1

• Rolf Dew changed the title to Theopolémos (a mythology mod for 0 ad)