Theopolémos (a mythology mod for 0 ad)

Rolf Dew

Which two factions would you like in the first version of the Mod?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which two factions would you like in the first version of the Mod?

Hi everyone!

We have decided to begin work on creating a mythological mod for 0 ad. The first version will include two factions, which two factions will be in the first release will be decided by a poll.

This is a Council of Modders project, anyone is welcome to join or contribute. 

Here is a link to the discord channel, that we created for the mod https://discord.gg/AjZeHA6

https://github.com/0ADMods/A-Mythology-mod-f-or-0-A.D. that is the github link.

We also have a moddb page 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/theopolmos

Theopolémos

(DEVS and contributors):

Asterix (Base code, github merging, planning)
Angen ((active) coder, planning)
Stanilas (answered a lot my questions and helped all round)
Alexandermb ((active) 3d work, github merging, planning, gameplay concept)
Smiley ((active) coder, planning)
Rolf Dew ((active) faction and gameplay concept and planning: forum stuff)
Atilla 
Thorfinn the Shallow Minded (corrections, historical accuracy for units)
Sundiata ((active) 2d work)                     

TheScottishFiana ((active)planning and faction concept)

Adeimantos ((active) coder) 

Codeman (2d and 3d work, planning and faction concept) 

Viyers (concept and planning) 

Wowgetoffyourcellphone  (for favor resource)

Council of Modders 

Edited by Rolf Dew
Topic update
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Rolf Dew said:

One could just make a small demo mod first, with just 2 or 3 0 ad factions with some mythological units and a basic deity system.

Maybe use the ones from the original AOM: Greeks, Egyptians, Norse for this demo, since the "design" is already there. 

Would we want to use all of the 0 A.D. factions, or make "generic" cultural factions like the original AOM? It would be fun to use the 0 A.D. specific factions (Athenians, Spartans, etc.) because the different cultural aspects can be explored in more detail. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Maybe use the ones from the original AOM: Greeks, Egyptians, Norse for this demo, since the "design" is already there. 

Would we want to use all of the 0 A.D. factions, or make "generic" cultural factions like the original AOM? It would be fun to use the 0 A.D. specific factions (Athenians, Spartans, etc.) because the different cultural aspects can be explored in more detail. 

I agree, it would be more interesting to use the appropriate 0 ad factions, perhaps as you said, Spartans, Athenians and maybe the potolemies. If possible one can even use the Norse faction from millnium ad if permission is given. 

I personally think that we can use those factions as a base and tweak them if it neccasary.

Although the mythological units would have to be made from scratch unfortunately.

Edited by Rolf Dew
  • Like 1

In game cut scenes could be done with cinema manager, the same thing we use to record our videos with. Playing videos however is not possible yet and requires stuff like FFMPEG which has some licensing issues I believe. For example Audacity is always bundling it separately.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

In game cut scenes could be done with cinema manager, the same thing we use to record our videos with. Playing videos however is not possible yet and requires stuff like FFMPEG which has some licensing issues I believe. For example Audacity is always bundling it separately.

Ah I see, well for the time being cutscenes can be skipped until it becomes easily implemented in the engine.

1 hour ago, Rolf Dew said:

potolemies

For the Ptolemies we could use a mix of Egyptian and Hellenistic mythology. Serapis, Isis and ??? could be the Major Gods. The story line could be semi-historical. So, imagine the Greco-Persian Wars,  Punic Wars, or Syrian Wars with god powers and myth monsters.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

For the Ptolemies we could use a mix of Egyptian and Hellenistic mythology. Serapis, Isis and ??? could be the Major Gods. The story line could be semi-historical. So, imagine the Greco-Persian Wars,  Punic Wars, or Syrian Wars with god powers and myth monsters.

Hmmm I agree, a mix Egyptian and Hellenistic mythology would be most fitting. Hades would of been a perfect deity for them (basically the equivalent of Seth), but it's likely that Athens or sparta might use him as a major god. Perhaps we could use Typhon (the equivalent of Apophis), he is "the father of all monsters" . Yeah semi historical sounds great, it would awesome to see those storylines in a mythological fashion!  

1 hour ago, stanislas69 said:

To extend on that, https://www.ffmpeg.org/legal.html

Hi everyone!

I have decided to begin work on creating a mythological mod for 0 ad. All are welcome to join the mod development.  I will begin with the Athenians, Spartans, Ptolemies and the Norse (if I am given permission to use them). For the first version, most likely the Athenians and Spartans will be in it.

What features would you like to see in the mod?

Edited by Rolf Dew
  • Like 1

What Mythological units would one suggest for each of these factions? There will be at least 5 myth units per a faction. Also do you think the major gods are appropriate for the respective factions? I am contemplating whether we should have the minor and major god system or just have three gods per a faction for simplicity.  

2 minutes ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

Since Serapis did have elements of Hades, I would recommend a different god for the Ptolemies like Harpocrates.  This deity was basically the Greek interpretation of the child-god version of Horus and played a fairly important role in religion there.

Yes you're right. Harpocrates would fit well! Feel free to join the discord too.

• Rolf Dew changed the title to Theopolémos (a mythology mod for 0 ad)