Civilization Selection Screen

A while back, a mod was made by @s0600204... which implemented a civ selection screen. It's now way out of date, but it worked when it wasn't out of date:

ftlwqGp.png1YhNwy1.png

Basically you could sort civs by various criteria (given in the civ.json files), and selecting the civ icon gave you a bunch of information about it. If extended, such a screen could let the player choose randomization options, such as choosing to play a civ of the "Greek" culture, but then letting the game choose which one for you. Likewise geographically or time frame or whatever. 

Perhaps something like this, but better of course:

KlKBqPA.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

A while back, a mod was made by @s0600204... which implemented a civ selection screen. It's now way out of date, but it worked when it wasn't out of date:

ftlwqGp.png1YhNwy1.png

Basically you could sort civs by various criteria (given in the civ.json files), and selecting the civ icon gave you a bunch of information about it. If extended, such a screen could let the player choose randomization options, such as choosing to play a civ of the "Greek" culture, but then letting the game choose which one for you. Likewise geographically or time frame or whatever. 

Perhaps something like this, but better of course:

KlKBqPA.jpg

@bb_ @stanislas69 can you look into this?

@wowgetoffyourcellphone do you know the exact location of the mod repository?

3 minutes ago, sarcoma said:

@nani can add this to autociv

It would be great if it was a standalone mod so other mods could easily use it or make it a dependency. Or better yet, made a patch for the core game so that it can be maintained.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 4

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This civ selection screen layout from Hyrule Conquest (I modded the Macedonians and Athenians in to show you how it could look for EA):

4NqoIrl.jpg

nZHSP1I.jpg

I would do this to DE, but Hyrule's game setup UI code is based on A23, incompatible with A24, and I'm not sure how to rectify it. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

This civ selection screen layout from Hyrule Conquest (I modded the Macedonians and Athenians in to show you how it could look for EA):

I would do this to DE, but Hyrule's game setup UI code is based on A23, incompatible with A24, and I'm not sure how to rectify it. 

You should probably wait until I merge D3243, which will make it much easier to change the gamesetup GUI. However, I'll probably not do it in the days to come as it's likely to introduce a few bugs in situations I've missed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 27/12/2020 at 5:19 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

4NqoIrl.jpg

nZHSP1I.jpg

This looks amazing!

• Thanks 1

Here is an example of the Civilization Selection I was talking about on IRC. The function doesn't work yet, but the idea is that this selection would restrict the civs to those within that group/theatre of war/influence. I think it's actually a way to limit the difficulty of balancing, as we don't need to balance, for example, the Yayoi to the roman empire who would have never fought anyway :-p. We don't need to pretend that these civs are comparable. Additionally, I think that this can make the game feel immersive. Because you are playing real battles. You fight as the Persians in the Middle East, not in the Celtic Highlands. Speaking of which, I want to also want another option on this list "Geographical", so it will limit civs who existed in the maps biome.

The brilliant example above doesn't seem to have this function of restricting Civs, actually. But it does look fantastic and makes choosing a Civ more fun, interactive and informative, which is all very helpful. They are different things. Would be great to have both :-p

Screenshot_20220620_033049.jpg

Edited by myou5e
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, myou5e said:

Here is an example of the Civilization Selection I was talking about on IRC. The function doesn't work yet, but the idea is that this selection would restrict the civs to those within that group/theatre of war/influence. I think it's actually a way to limit the difficulty of balancing, as we don't need to balance, for example, the Yayoi to the roman empire who would have never fought anyway :-p. We don't need to pretend that these civs are comparable. Additionally, I think that this can make the game feel immersive. Because you are playing real battles. You fight as the Persians in the Middle East, not in the Celtic Highlands. Speaking of which, I want to also want another option on this list "Geographical", so it will limit civs who existed in the maps biome.

The brilliant example above doesn't seem to have this function of restricting Civs, actually. But it does look fantastic and makes choosing a Civ more fun, interactive and informative, which is all very helpful. They are different things. Would be great to have both :-p

Screenshot_20220620_033049.jpg

One of the coolest things about games is that you can play a reality that you want, I believe that playing with civs in a given location and 

historical period is more suited to scenario maps / or some campaign.

Edited by Lopess
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/12/2020 at 10:19 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

4NqoIrl.jpg

nZHSP1I.jpg

Uffff(hot)

That is amazing. I want that.

2 hours ago, Lopess said:

One of the coolest things about games is that you can play a reality that you want, I believe that playing with civs in a given location and 

Eso pienso.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lopess said:

Fortunately. Making an option available, doesn't mean you have to use it! Also as far as tournament play, having realistic matchups makes sense. You might in a tournament situation want to restrict civs to ones of a similar power, maybe Noba village people aren't able to go against the Roman Empire? So you restrict Civs. Maybe you will say "don't play as the Nobas". But maybe you and some friends want to play some games as the Nobas or similar Civs without OP factions making it ridiculous?

This feature could easily result in MORE diversity in the game, because when it's easy to restrict Civs like this, without needing to load a Mod, then it will be easier to add Civs to the game without the nightmare of balancing each time. Just restrict to comparable factions for competitive play.

As an example of this, there is already an "Ancient Empires" and "Millenium AD", but we don't include those in Vanilla because they are the wrong time frame. With the option I am showing, this would not be an issue. Just select the 500BC - 500AD Timeframe for vanilla Civs. To play Millenium AD? just choose 500 - 1000AD ! This would be amazing! It's not even that hard to do!

Edited by myou5e
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, myou5e said:

As an example of this, there is already an "Ancient Empires" and "Millenium AD", but we don't include those in Vanilla because they are the wrong time frame. With the option I am showing, this would not be an issue. Just select the 500BC - 500AD Timeframe for vanilla Civs. To play Millenium AD? just choose 500 - 1000AD ! This would be amazing! It's not even that hard to do!

What about My Little Pony, or Hyrule? :p

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Stan` said:

What about My Little Pony, or Hyrule? :p

ABSOLUTELY. We can

• change my "Restrict to Cultures" to "Mod Selection"
  • Include Up to date mods in the main game.
  • Let people play Hyrule / My Little Pony without downloading mod. (Already Included)
  • Let People play Millenium / Aristeia without downloading mod. (Already Included)
  • Disable these mods by default. The default will be along the lines of "Official Civilizations" or "0AD Official"

I don't know how many of those are up to date, but this could be a great way of having "semi official" content which gets play tested/exposed to a wider community.

Edited by myou5e
  • Like 1