2020 Art Wishlist

Stan`

6 hours ago, Stan` said:

Gettings mod on mod.io is the priority I'd say. IIRC there are some issues with Ponies (there is an issue open there) Aristeia needs an update, then there are all my unfinished mods.

It would be good good good later to give aristeia 2 new factions.

The most similar girls to the time of 0 A.D are Assyria and Babylon.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems like there's not enough ice textures for terrain.

I found this public domain ice texture and like it, but it seems to have some jagged outcroppings. I like that it's not completely smooth, but I think it needs *some* smoothing otherwise it looks funny when units walk across it. Can anyone touch this up or make a texture based on it? The shiny, smooth but somewhat ripply ice texture is what I like, and the color. :)

The third pic is where I tried to modify the first one, and made it 2048x2048 but probably lost some resolution... It looks nice in-game but I think it could be improved.

bigstock-Seamless-ice-texture-57644744-e1402597249458.jpg

screenshot0025.png

blue_ice_01.png

Edited by andy5995

You're headed the right direction. The biggest problem with the source image is that the facture pattern gives away the scale (very small). Sharp edges like that melt or even sublimate away really quickly. So stable, geological-scale ice that has been around for a while rarely presents such abrupt, jagged reflection edges. I think you might experiment with applying a bit of blur to give the surface a more smoothed-away look.

I'd also suggest trying to add a few little traces of snow drifts. Like, when it is very cold for a long time, snow particles blown by the wind get snagged in little cracks in a standing ice sheet, and then more snow gets hung up on those particles forming little dune-like drifts that follow the course of the original crack. Don't overdo it, but a few spots here and there might help sell the scale of the ice sheet more.

Those are my suggestions, but no guarantees they are any good. I'm not an artist of any sort. Just a yearly admirer of winter landscapes.

• Thanks 1