===[COMMITTED]=== Hellenic Helmets

Alexandermb

Some history and expert conception of this hybrid last.

Spoiler

The Phrygoboeotian (Phrygo-Boeotian) helmet is a case of hybrid helmet used by the Macedonian armies of Alexander the Great and his Successors (Diadochoi and Epigonoi), as the archaeological finds demonstrate – either original pieces or artistic representations.
The Phrygoboeotian helmet was actually the old Boeotian casque with the addition of the peak of the “ethnic” Macedonian helmet known as Phrygian or Thracophrygian.
The Boeotian helmet was a patent of the Boeotians, initially appearing when they manufactured in metal form the shape of their characteristic leather caps. Xenophon in his “Hipparchikos” considers this casque as the ideal one for the cavalry due to its advantages, mainly the fact that it ensures a wide visual range for the cavalryman.

The Phrygian helmet had already become the “national” helmet of the Macedonians during the reign of Philip II and had also widely spread among the other Greeks of the mainland, and even among the Etruscans (on the contrary it seems that it did not become popular in Magna Graecia). In the southern Greek states it had largely supplanted the pilos type that was prevalent having in its turn displaced the older Corinthian helmet from the late 5th century BC. The spread of use of the Phrygian type can be attributed to the rapid growth of the Macedonian power and influence.
Concerning the causes of the composition of those two types in the hybrid Phrygoboeotian we shall propose the following version:
As the archaeological finds demonstrate, the Phrygian casque seems to have been prevalent in the Macedonian Companion cavalry of Philip II but along with the presence of the Boeotian, the Thracian, the pilos-type and perhaps other types. The presence of the Boeotian helmet among the Macedonian cavalrymen can be seen as an influence mainly by the neighboring Thessalians who had already adopted it a century earlier, and as it is evidenced they had a significant influence on the development of the Macedonian cavalry. Besides, it is known that some “Macedonian” Hetairoi (Companions) were actually Thessalian settlers invited by Philip to settle in his realm.

Alexander was a passionate reader of the earlier classical writers and he obviously had read Xenophon’s Hipparchikos and the author’s advice to the cavalrymen on using the Boeotian helmet. Besides, Alexander possibly found out himself the virtues of the latter in combat, although the type of helmet that he was bearing in the battles still remains under discussion. Concerning this problem, I shall only point out that the “heroic” or official artistic representations of him at his time or shortly after (usually with two characteristic types of helmet), has no actual connection with the reality of the military engagement and its needs. That is to say that maybe during the battle he was bearing a Boeotian helmet.
In any case, Alexander encouraged the use of the Boeotian type by his Hetairoi (Companion cavalry), but the new look of the Macedonian cavalry perhaps alienated some veterans and the people of Macedonia, who observed that their cavalrymen did not differ much from the Thessalians and the Boeotians, and specifically just a minority of them were still bearing their ethnic Phrygian helmet. We can assume that some metallurgists of Alexander and his Successors found a compromise, when they manufactured a new helmet type that maintained the trunk of the Boeotian casque and therefore all its virtues – especially the wide range of view – in which was added as a kind of national banner, the characteristic peak of the “curled flame” of the Phrygian helmet. The pezetairoi pikemen of the Macedonian phalanx, the hypaspistae and the other infantrymen went on using mainly the Phrygian type.
However, the rare presence of the Phrygoboeotian helmet among the archaeological findings and representations indicate that it did not become popular. The Boeotian helmet and the Neo-Phrygian types followed independent carriers as helmets of the cavalry of the Late Successors (Epigonoi). The Boeotian helmet became popular in Italy as well and in the equestrian forces of the Republican Rome.

https://periklisdeligiannis.wordpress.com/2016/02/28/6232/

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Laurel version of the boeotian:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png

Laurel version of the head:

Reveal hidden contents

image.pngimage.png

@wowgetoffyourcellphone @Nescio @Sundiata @Stan` @LordGood @Enrique @wackyserious 

Review of the helmets for commit. And deletion of the outdated versions of the new helmets.

Looks  great, from my point of view, you can commit them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, wackyserious said:

Superb! You worked so quickly. :)

Yeah! when im not blocked i can make them quickly, when i have mental block i can't even make a cube. And the new material i developed when baking the SCAR/FN-FAl/G36 helped a lot with most of the AO problems in helmets.

• Haha 2

Resultado de imagen para Meotian helmet

There are other group similar to Attic/Chalcidian from Scythians.

bronze-helmet-with-curved-sheep-horns.jpgResultado de imagen para Scythian helmet

One of the three graves which had not been plundered has now been fully excavated and turns out to be the elaborate three-level grave of a high status warrior, probably a chieftain. It dates to the earlier period of the necropolis, the late 3rd century or early 2nd century B.C. The culture cannot be conclusively determined — the site is 2,600 feet above sea level in the Caucasus mountains, hard enough to reach that little archaeological exploration has been done — but it was certainly influenced by Hellenism even as it maintained its own particular traditions and practices.

http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/date/2013/02/20

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Other Thracian was this but ... Isnt the original.

Z0z6g69.jpg

Pretty sure this one would have had cheek pieces. Nice reference tho.

3 hours ago, Alexandermb said:

hele_thracian_b2:

Hide contents

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Silver variant:

Hide contents

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

I like these a lot. The Hellenistic Thracian helmets are some of my favorites. Would be nice to have cheek piece variations as well.

6 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Resultado de imagen para Meotian helmet

There are other group similar to Attic/Chalcidian from Scythians.

bronze-helmet-with-curved-sheep-horns.jpgResultado de imagen para Scythian helmet

http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/date/2013/02/20

Great references for Scythians. The game really should include Scythians for variety.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Pretty sure this one would have had cheek pieces. Nice reference tho.

I like these a lot. The Hellenistic Thracian helmets are some of my favorites. Would be nice to have cheek piece variations as well.

Great references for Scythians. The game really should include Scythians for variety.

Imagen relacionada

fTvU2k9.jpg

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 1