Unit tree

Unit tree  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which kind of unit tree would you like to see in game

• actual
    • unlocking next tear of the same unit and improving it by that
    • having basic unit and choosing its path (light vs heavy)
    • unlocking light / heavy unit but could train all of the types after unlocked

Hmm, perhaps some better explanation. What does "actual" mean in this context? :) Some examples would be nice too.

I imagine you mean by "actual" is just the current Empires Ascendant way.

"unlocking next tear of the same unit and improving it by that" would be the Age of Empires way.

"having basic unit and choosing its path (light vs heavy)" would be like starting with a generic soldier dude and then customizing it. So, you'd start with a generic melee dude with a knife, then you can choose a path from spearman to hoplite to pikeman, or from knife dude to light swordsman to heavy swordsman. A branching way. Or a generic militia knife guy, you can branch from melee options or ranged options. This is kind of cool, but feels kind of generic to me. Perhaps have a meta "soldier customization" feature/UI that's done before matches, not in real-time. This would go well with battalions, because you could customize your battalions with different kinds of historically accurate kit, and their costs and stats change accordingly. 

"unlocking light / heavy unit but could train all of the types after unlocked" so basically is a tech barrier to melee and ranged branches. Kind of the least inspiring options. I think by building an archery range that kind of implies you should get access to some kind of light ranged units without having to tech them.

• Like 2

Another idea is that you can train light, medium, and heavy versions of most types of units (affecting speed, armor, attack, cost, etc.), depending on your tactical needs and overall strategy (and the amount of coin in your purse; if you're low on funds you can still train light troops to hold the enemy at bay until your treasury can be refilled). Only light is available at first and you have to unlock medium and heavy options at the Blacksmith by teching different armor and weaponry options.

Would take a little GUI work, but not bad; imagine clicking the swordsman icon at the barracks and you see the 3 swordsman options quickly slide up.

And while I think this should be moved to the Gameplay Discussion forum, I don't think Empires Ascendant is going to change much in this regard, so whatever you want to do will probably have to be part of a mod. Unless your goal is to join the team and implement some of this stuff into EA. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I would like some kind rpg path. Less repetitive. Not lineal tree.

Actually I do not know how to imagine this.  Do you think for every soldier individually?

17 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Another idea is that you can train light, medium, and heavy versions of most types of units (affecting speed, armor, attack, cost, etc.), depending on your tactical needs and overall strategy (and the amount of coin in your purse; if you're low on funds you can still train light troops to hold the enemy at bay until your treasury can be refilled). Only light is available at first and you have to unlock medium and heavy options at the Blacksmith by teching different armor and weaponry options.

Would take a little GUI work, but not bad; imagine clicking the swordsman icon at the barracks and you see the 3 swordsman options quickly slide up.

And while I think this should be moved to the Gameplay Discussion forum, I don't think Empires Ascendant is going to change much in this regard, so whatever you want to do will probably have to be part of a mod. Unless your goal is to join the team and implement some of this stuff into EA. 

Actually this was my last option. But without adding new gui. :) (yes, I should add more description)

Btw. Have you played Northland ? There you have citizen and you can change and combine equipment as you want. But creating equipment takes time (especially plate armor)

20 hours ago, Angen said:

Actually I do not know how to imagine this.  Do you think for every soldier individually?

Actually this was my last option. But without adding new gui. :) (yes, I should add more description)

Btw. Have you played Northland ? There you have citizen and you can change and combine equipment as you want. But creating equipment takes time (especially plate armor)

The tech three each technology following a path making your faction more customizable.

• Military tevhs
  • Civil tech
  • Science tech
  • Commercial tech
  • Economy tech