13th Century Europe Mod - In Development

Bigtiger

8 hours ago, Sturm said:

First of all, congratulations on the excellent 3D modeling work. You really are an artist! However, let me also say that in the case of textures, the buildings seem to be ... I do not know if I can explain it well ... but they seem to be "too brand new" ... the buildings appear "not to fit" in the scenario... Maybe it's the colors, maybe they lack a bit of "dirt" on the walls or in the areas near the floor, more color variations

Thank you Strum, The buildings being clean has a purpose to it. In this time period the Teutonic knights would have been building many new castles in the Baltic area from the 12th - 13th century which were mostly built with a red/orange colour brick. I could add some more details to add some ware, but i'm adding more ware to the Lithuanian, and Polish  structures as they were settled in the area way before the Teutonic Order.  

Example of a Teutonic Order Castle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malbork_Castle

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bigtiger said:

Thanks, I'll send you a file with all their blender/textures files when they're all done.

Did you have a chance to fix the berry bushes with @borg-'s comment on them not being filled enough ? :)

9 hours ago, Sturm said:
First of all, congratulations on the excellent 3D modeling work. You really are an artist! However, let me also say that in the case of textures, the buildings seem to be ... I do not know if I can explain it well ... but they seem to be "too brand new" ... the buildings appear "not to fit" in the scenario... Maybe it's the colors, maybe they lack a bit of "dirt" on the walls or in the areas near the floor, more color variations...

Regards,
Sturm

The buildings have a bit a cartoony look because of the texture saturation but I think the whole set looks lovely.

The little stalls are a bit more detailed than the houses though so it might give an unbalanced feeling 

1 hour ago, Bigtiger said:

Working on adding decals for more details on maps.

Hide contents

screenshot0120.thumb.png.843518abb9fd4a42a5b062a31b11e407.png

I was hoping that this would be implemented for the game. Thank you. :)What comes to my mind is a very old game (Sudden Strike 2) that has appealing terrain visuals crafted through terrain and decal interrelation.

maxresdefault.jpg

641833-926521_20050217_002.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

I was hoping that this would be implemented for the game. Thank you. :)What comes to my mind is a very old game (Sudden Strike 2) that has appealing terrain visuals crafted through terrain and decal interrelation

I've been playing Sudden Strike 4 and the way they implement the details into their map terrain is beautiful and gives a realism feel. If that can be brought into 0A.D. we got a stew going!

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 3:39 AM, Bigtiger said:

Map made with decals. (1vs1)

Hide contents

screenshot0124.thumb.png.e77496bcbe2cbe87c081fa55091af19d.png1617900537_farmlandmiddle.thumb.png.449b4412102073053f00d0a6280e7123.png

Puddle Decals

Hide contents

screenshot0125.thumb.png.823245ae15608a876e033d203ccb0d23.png

Amazing graphic!! Another level, sorry the ignorance, what is decals? Can someone explain how you achieved this effect? I wish to use it in my Economy Simulation Mod. Btw @Bigtiger  i read that you want to add city building features to your mod, and i saw you now focus on graphic, if you are interested check my mod, i m developing the economy dimension of the game, maybe we can collaborate in the future.

• Like 3

@Monder87 Decals are game objects which are formed using a flat mesh. Often, this 3D object is textured using terrain textures and are often used as bottom surface texture for other game objects such as trees, geological objects and structures. You could see it yourself in the Atlas map editor, it is found in the actor selection tab.

• Thanks 2

@nani Do you think it is possible to generate aesthetic random maps by combining decals and other game objects? Would this cause performance issues, especially when you use decals?

I have made this several years ago when I wanted to demonstrate a map making technique.

I place my pre-made dioramas using game objects including decals in a blank map and copy paste and rearrange and rotate them in another one.

That way I could achieve higher quality terrain details thanks to the alpha transparency provided by the decal mesh.

map01.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, wackyserious said:

@Monder87 Decals are game objects which are formed using a flat mesh. Often, this 3D object is textured using terrain textures and are often used as bottom surface texture for other game objects such as trees, geological objects and structures. You could see it yourself in the Atlas map editor, it is found in the actor selection tab.

thanks @wackyserious!  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, wackyserious said:

I place my pre-made dioramas using game objects including decals in a blank map and copy paste and rearrange and rotate them in another one.

I do this too. 

What we need is a true POG system (Premade Object Groups). Imagine in Atlas you go into POG mode and it loads a tiny "map" on which you can place objects. Then you save this grouping as a POG that is then added to a new sort in the object menu, which can now be placed in subsequent skirmish or scenario maps as one object (as if you're copying a pasting), or even extended to be placed by random map scripts too.

post-2319-0-59400700-1349130325.jpg

• Like 5

What if I told you... You can do it manually for now ?

Copy pasting Actors in atlas puts XML code in your clipboard. 

Instead of Ctrl+V in atlas do so in a text editor and save the file as your pog-group.xml somewhere. Then whenever you need it open the file select all and Ctrl + C :) Then you can Ctrl+v in atlas :)

If someone wants to implement it just saving XML from clipboard and allowing someone to reload it would work.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

What if I told you... You can do it manually for now ?

Copy pasting Actors in atlas puts XML code in your clipboard. 

Instead of Ctrl+V in atlas do so in a text editor and save the file as your pog-group.xml somewhere. Then whenever you need it open the file select all and Ctrl + C :) Then you can Ctrl+v in atlas :)

Yeah, I know. But much better for end user to make it an Atlas feature. :) 

One can also make a "POG" map where they paste all their cool little scenes, and then keep that open as a second Atlas instance and then copy and paste the little scenes over. But like I said, my "dream" system would probably be a lot better for the standard user (ie, 90% of people). lol

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1