13th Century Europe Mod - In Development

Bigtiger

2 hours ago, Emperior said:

What assets are you using? Own?

What textures for ground are you using?

The 3d models are all made by me (my own), but I relinquish any rights to them when they are shared here.

The texture for the ground is Alpine grass mixed/edit with Savanna forestfloor b red. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Hey,

I tried it out and fixed a few mistakes in the actors, though mostly it was capitalized names, and incorrect materials :) I'm willing to commit it, but maybe it's possible to improve it a bit. Some textures are blurry, it looks nice when zoomed out but bad close up. the ferns ao could use more samples. Up to you :) @wowgetoffyourcellphone @LordGood do you have  any other comments ?

public.zip

2 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

I tried it out and fixed a few mistakes in the actors, though mostly it was capitalized names, and incorrect materials :) I'm willing to commit it, but maybe it's possible to improve it a bit. Some textures are blurry, it looks nice when zoomed out but bad close up. the ferns ao could use more samples. Up to you

Thank you for reviewing them. I forgot to take the ao off the ferns as I did it as a test, but im not sure if any of the current foliage even use ao.

I'll go back over the temperate textures to see about improving the quality.:)

27 minutes ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

A lot of your additions tree-wise are great; one thing that could enhance the mod is to have models of trees tended to with medieval methods such as pollarding and coppicing respectively:

For historical accuracy that would be a nice addition to add in the mod. Glad you brought this up!

3 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Well done they look very nice. You should probably edit the unit mesh for them though :) Just grab the new unit meshes blend file let me know if you don't know where to find it.

I'm not sure where to find the new blender mesh file, but the current mesh works for now.

Spoiler

pike.png.1043c387aefa8aaa5faea3ec5e6fc940.png

• Like 6

Bigtiger,

The coniferous forest biome you are working on looks really good, great attention to detail, and well done over all.

My feedback is that there is a slight flat look to the texture, abit like warcraft style.

One way I can think of to lessen a flat look is to imagine the sun and how it works on the asset. How does the light hit it, where does the shadow fall. How much of either of those are needed to give depth to a texture. 

Can I ask you to make a map in Atlas with your art assets to show them off? Can you make the gameplay fun and interesting to the player? If so, will you share the results with us for feedback? I really want to see you make a world with the art you're making and let us players loose on it : )

I know when making art you want to see it tie in to what is already there, making a map with it is a good exercise to see how it fits in. 

Edited by Aeros
  • Like 1

Hello @Aeros

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate any feedback that helps me to be more critical and more observant to the little details, which at the same time @stanislas69 has given me some great feedback and advice that has helped me get to these designs.

Spoiler

screenshot0073.thumb.png.e06e595fde6eeab9015ef0878447de80.png

5 hours ago, Aeros said:

Can I ask you to make a map in Atlas with your art assets to show them off? Can you make the gameplay fun and interesting to the player? If so, will you share the results with us for feedback? I really want to see you make a world with the art you're making and let us players loose on it : )

The textures are close to finished and soon to be ready to create a world for this mod, which I cant wait to share with the community.  I'll first release a flora pack separate from the mod that will have a map ready for players to be loose on! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Now that's gorgeous ! Great work mate !

Some more comments :)

1. This looks a bit weird is that buggy alpha ?

2. Can you try to increase the saturation of the red berries bush ? They have to stand a bit more out in order to be clearly identifiable :) Hopefully not too unrealistic because I really like those as is.

3. Maybe more geometry or a different angle ?

3Untitled.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

1. This looks a bit weird is that buggy alpha ?

I think its the texture for this tree. Maybe its branches have to much contrast.

Spoiler

screenshot0074.thumb.png.653549f3470a29789ba46f1f133551ee.pngscreenshot0075.png.eaaed009f71c39d282bc7a85d7e8312b.png

10 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

2. Can you try to increase the saturation of the red berries bush ? They have to stand a bit more out in order to be clearly identifiable :) Hopefully not too unrealistic because I really like those as is.

I'll try to get the berry bush to stand out more without looking to unrealistic. Question about the berry bush, what if adding an partial effect to it to make it stand out like the metal stones? Say a soft green/yellow glimmer.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, WhiteTreePaladin said:

Looks really nice. Do you plan on filling it out to use a more square footprint (fences, gardens, etc.)?

I was playing with the idea of filling it out with more decor, but being that I want to have more buildings for economy/military purpose i'm going to stay with a smaller foot print (20x30). By adding more buildings the idea is to have a city/town that will fill in the space around it, but in a meaningful/functional way. 

In this mod the civic center territory reach is going to be cut by half, bring things to a closer proximity. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
First of all, congratulations on the excellent 3D modeling work. You really are an artist! However, let me also say that in the case of textures, the buildings seem to be ... I do not know if I can explain it well ... but they seem to be "too brand new" ... the buildings appear "not to fit" in the scenario... Maybe it's the colors, maybe they lack a bit of "dirt" on the walls or in the areas near the floor, more color variations...

Regards,
Sturm
Edited by Sturm
  • Like 3