13th Century Europe Mod - In Development

Bigtiger

Hello 0.A.D. Community,

I've been developing a mod for 0 A.D, and i'm wondering if anyone would be interested in seeing a mod which focuses on the time frame during the 13th - 14th century. This period would offer many forms of weapons, armors, and factions to choose from. The gameplay will be more focused on a faster gameplay, large scale battles, and castle/city development.

Here is what i have worked on at the moment.

Spoiler

238415031_moddev02.thumb.png.238e2207cd1a2fcd61d5179586b91be1.png

1072835066_moddev01.thumb.png.b8ee51c542d46abd7169311531148117.png

Here are some pics from which i get my inspiration for the mod!  https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/486388828480294447

Please let me know if this is a mod that you would like to see developed.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Why no merge with the second part of Millenium AD?

Wasn't aware there was a second part to Millenium AD. If the Millenium team is looking for this kind of material then i wouldn't mind contributing, but I'm also interested in making something separate that wouldn't be the same as Millenium AD.

1 hour ago, Bigtiger said:

Wasn't aware there was a second part to Millenium AD. If the Millenium team is looking for this kind of material then i wouldn't mind contributing, but I'm also interested in making something separate that wouldn't be the same as Millenium AD.

Looks like a nice mod. Are these fantasy castles or historically accurate castles ? If it's the later we could definitely make a milleniumad_part2 repository and use your models there.

The model look low-poly which is nice but I guess you can make it a bit more highpoly than this. 

Units looks nice indeed.

Where did you get the textures ? To be used in our mods they should be CC-BY-SA3+ or anything less restrictive such as CC0

Keep up the great work :)

If you need help packaging your mod to distribute it let me know.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Looks like a nice mod. Are these fantasy castles or historically accurate castles ?

This is the design that i got for the castle, it might not be an exact replica but inspired from it. I do want to make it historical accurate as much as I can, but I am working on a second castle and trying to get more details with the mesh and textures. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orford_Castle

5 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Where did you get the textures ?

All textures are from 0A.D. I used the textures from the 0ad files and edit them. Is this okay or should I be using my own?

6 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

The model look low-poly

For the 0ad engine, what would be considered high poly. I have modded before in M&B and if you can shave polys off you did it.

Thank you for all the responses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Bigtiger said:

All textures are from 0A.D. I used the textures from the 0ad files and edit them. Is this okay or should I be using my own?

Yep :victory:

You can use anything with a “free” license. (All 0AD art)

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Bigtiger said:

For the 0ad engine, what would be considered high poly. I have modded before in M&B and if you can shave polys off you did it.

The maximum number of triangles currently supported by the game is 32 768 as far as I know.

5k tris is a fair amount of tris for a civic center. It's not an absolute limit of course. I should really update the wiki polycount page...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

The maximum number of triangles currently supported by the game is 32 768 as far as I know.

As far as I remember we don't have this hardcoded number, but usually we limited by Vertex Buffer Object size. And different videocards have different constraints. So 32768 is an approximated minimum. Feedback should give us more exact limits.

51 minutes ago, vladislavbelov said:

As far as I remember we don't have this hardcoded number, but usually we limited by Vertex Buffer Object size. And different videocards have different constraints. So 32768 is an approximated minimum. Feedback should give us more exact limits.

I remember testing this on a 960m when I made the Coliseum, and it would simply crash the game if the model was above that limit.

48 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

I remember testing this on a 960m when I made the Coliseum, and it would simply crash the game if the model was above that limit.

Yeah, it may crash, because OpenGL driver won't allocate the buffer, he will return the invalid ID and we will try to use it. Also we wanna use 16 bit indices, so we try to fit into 64KB of memory. Memory cost is equal to: numberOfVertices * sizeOfOneVertexStruct. So it may take a place here too.

2 minutes ago, vladislavbelov said:

Yeah, it may crash, because OpenGL driver won't allocate the buffer, he will return the invalid ID and we will try to use it. Also we wanna use 16 bit indices, so we try to fit into 64KB of memory. Memory cost is equal to: numberOfVertices * sizeOfOneVertexStruct. So it may take a place here too.

Might be worth a patch, to display a nice error instead of crashing badly.

Teutonic Order Faction Update.

Walls are about 90% finished, as the gate animations are still under development. The gate door will fit 2-3 units wide, making for a choke point if used this way. 

gate size reference,  https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photo-gate-malbork-castle-medieval-teutonic-order-crusaders-poland-image72248634

Spoiler

screenshot0021.thumb.png.c75ab7d9cdefda3a7f0d56b9e902422e.png

screenshot0022.thumb.png.791f7fc6b4e84ee265d4c50981c008c8.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wackyserious said:

Really nice! I am really anticipating to play this mod. :)

Thanks, i'm working at trying to get the Teutonic faction finished as soon as I can. Once the Teutonic faction is finished I can use some of the same building designs for a polish civ as they share similar architecture designs.

Atm im working at getting the market finished, and designing the barracks

Please balance units in order to obtain better attacks for melee soldiers, so it's avoided to have only ranged units armies ;). Maybe for an interesting (and faster) game set better attacks for melee units respect to default 0ad (like 6+ damage at least, arriving to even 16-20 for a maceman, maybe). 

I'm anyway loving this mod

Edited by Jofursloft

Melee soldiers are going to be diverse, as im looking at having light to heavy infantry with each one having their own perks and weapons. I hear you on the range units, they are going to be hopefully setup to work as a support unit, easy to maneuver in the battlefield with good speed, but not dominating the battlefield (except for the English long bow men as they are an exception).

One kind of troop that I want to make are banner men. They will have a small area effect which will give good melee/range perks, close to what some heroes currently do. 

Im not sure if there is a cap on how many troops the game can allow to be made from a barracks, fortress or civ center, but if a large, balanced, diverse troop selection can be made then that would make me happy. Allowing for many different army builds is always a plus.

INFANTRY Swords/Blunts/Axes

2 types of light infantry

2 types of medium infantry

1 type of heavy infantry 

specialized unites: vanguard, champion units.

INFANTRY pole-arms

1 type of light infantry

1 type of medium infantry

1 type of heavy infantry 

specialized unites: pole-arm vanguard, champion units.

CAVALRY

Light-Lancers

Sword-Cavalry

Heavy Lancers

Champion Lancers

Range Units

Archers

Support

Priest (healer)

Banner Men (melee/range boost)

• Thanks 1

I hope to have the Teutonic Faction finished for the end of December, along with the troop selection, and a few maps to go with it that are compatible for 0ad and some that are made just for the mod. When the mod is first released it will be a basic faction mod, but with plans to grow into something bigger.

I'll be working out all the balancing and game play features with the Teutonic faction, and once that is all done then more factions will come.

• Thanks 1